Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough
Default coming to Canada, and the future of our children

I don't really know why the tread has been closed so quickly? I wasn't even able to respond.

Since I haven't been educated in the UK, I was always wondering how the UK education system would compare to Canada, if it was better or worse, and if so, how and why?

I also always felt, that coming from Europe, going to Canada is just a lifestyle choice, but for an immigrant coming from India or Asia, it's more a move for an entirely better life and a state/government more stable and predictable.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Re: coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown

I also always felt, that coming from Europe, going to Canada is just a lifestyle choice, but for an immigrant coming from India or Asia, it's more a move for an entirely better life and a state/government more stable and predictable.
?????
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

what's so unclear?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:33 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know why the tread has been closed so quickly? I wasn't even able to respond.

Since I haven't been educated in the UK, I was always wondering how the UK education system would compare to Canada, if it was better or worse, and if so, how and why?

Why would people be able to answer this question?

The forum is called "British Expats". Therefore 90+ percent of us were educated in Britain so we wouldn't know if the system was better or worse as we have not been through the Canadian system in tandem.

None of us will have moved here for the education which you point out to yourself in your final sentence.

There is no thread required.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

I was not aware of that. In the country I was educate we always compared to the education system of other countries.

To me "British Expat" meant British citizen, living abroad, in this case Canada, - irrespective where, in which country one was educated.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You don't really know? I suggest that you read Site Rule #16.

Actually I would say that I'm a bit surprised that you're still on here at all, but that might be taken as a breech of Site Rule #15, so I won't.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Site Rule #16 covers multiple user names. I am not clear why this rule can be applied, since I only used the same user name as always.

I am a bit surprised an confused to the reaction. I don't think that I offended anybody.
And in the end, the question in the thread is of real interest to me. I can only guess that I may have touched a sensitive subject? - I also didn't have my education in the UK as well, - even though I am British.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago we had a number of immigrants or potential immigrants who claimed they were moving "for the children" or "to give the children a better future." Other posters accused them of lying and that they were just using the children as an excuse.

Since then, "for the children" has been a (rather unfunny I think) running joke used by some to suggest a poster is not being as honest as they could be.

It is probably just co-incidence but the way your opening post was phrased sounded like someone who was trying to provoke a reopening of this old and tired argument.

It starts a year later in Canada than the UK, has more emphasis on good citizenship in the earlier years and ends in 4 year degree courses. The first year of a degree course is roughly equivalent to the final year of a UK secondary school. The outcomes are pretty much the same, all in all.

I also always felt, that coming from Europe, going to Canada is just a lifestyle choice,
I broadly agree. The mountains are better here though.

but for an immigrant coming from India or Asia, it's more a move for an entirely better life and a state/government more stable and predictable.
To some extent yes, but it is a bit too much of a generalization. Not all states in India and not all Asian countries are unstable or unpredictable. Some come for adventure just like us. Some for perceived freedoms like being openly gay. Some come to make more money.

And some definitely come "for the kids." My friend worked for an oil company in Asia. He had a great salary, his house, car, driver/handyman and his wife's maid were all paid for by the company, as were his kids' school fees. A pretty enviable lifestyle. However, he knew this was his lot. There was a glass ceiling and to get above it you had to be educated in a Western university. He didn't want his own kids limited by their education so he applied for PR.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 16th 2014 at 9:03 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:53 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Well the other thread suggests otherwise CT....
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh heck, now it have to find the other thread
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Site Rule #16 covers multiple user names. I am not clear why this rule can be applied, since I only used the same user name as always.
Really. Then how come the looking2go username's account has been deleted? And perhaps others...
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

@ JonboyE

Thanks for the answer. I am and was not aware what "a few years ago" some posters in this forum, would be immigrants and landed immigrants may have written here in this forum and what their motivation would have been.

I live in Canada now, however travel to the London UK quite frequently, and oddly, many of my friends in London are Canadian and work as teachers in various public schools. They all seem to agree that the education system in Canada is better than in the UK, or at least compared to London and their only motivation for coming to the UK is simply lack of jobs in Canada.

In that context I often wondered if the education system might be one motive for somebody coming to Canada. On the other side my Canadian friends are teaches in London, sometimes in the worst areas of the cities, and the education system in bigger cities is always a bit different than in rural communities or medium size towns.

That motivated me for starting this thread.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Really. Then how come the looking2go username's account has been deleted? And perhaps others...
I am afraid I don't know this user account and can't answer you the question why it has been deleted, nor do I have the rights to delete accounts.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
A few years ago we had a number of immigrants or potential immigrants who claimed they were moving "for the children" or "to give the children a better future." Other posters accused them of lying and that they were just using the children as an excuse.

Since then, "for the children" has been a (rather unfunny I think) running joke used by some to suggest a poster is not being as honest as they could be.

It is probably just co-incidence but the way your opening post was phrased sounded like someone who was trying to provoke a reopening of this old and tired argument.

It starts a year later in Canada than the UK, has more emphasis on good citizenship in the earlier years and ends in 4 year degree courses. The first year of a degree course is roughly equivalent to the final year of a UK secondary school. The outcomes are pretty much the same, all in all.

I broadly agree. The mountains are better here though.

To some extent yes, but it is a bit too much of a generalization. Not all states in India and not all Asian countries are unstable or unpredictable. Some come for adventure just like us. Some for perceived freedoms like being openly gay. Some come to make more money.

And some definitely come "for the kids." My friend worked for an oil company in Asia. He had a great salary, his house, car, driver/handyman and his wife's maid were all paid for by the company, as were his kids' school fees. A pretty enviable lifestyle. However, he knew this was his lot. There was a glass ceiling and to get above it you had to be educated in a Western university. He didn't want his own kids limited by their education so he applied for PR.
My friends are moving over to Toronto from the Middle East. Great pay/tax free haven but no family life whatsoever. It's all work, work, work... They have a job opening here which will hopefully offer them a better life, so it is for "the children" et al.

Honestly I really don't think there's much too compare education wise. I'm assuming that the sorts of people who immigrate could find a better education in the same country without needing to resort to moving country. Even just supplementing their education with help would do the job without resorting to a very expensive move... I can't help but feel we've done our son a disservice in many ways by moving here but what's done is done.

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 16th 2014 at 9:23 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 9:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

In that context I often wondered if the education system might be one motive for somebody coming to Canada. On the other side my Canadian friends are teaches in London, sometimes in the worst areas of the cities, and the education system in bigger cities is always a bit different than in rural communities or medium size towns.

That motivated me for starting this thread.
IMO you will generally get a better eduction in a "good" area of the UK than in "bad" area in Canada. Likewise, you will generally get a better eduction in a "good" area of Canada than in a "bad" area in the UK.

I can envisage circumstances where you could move from a rough area in the UK to a reasonably affluent area in Canada doing the same job. This could benefit your children's education.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.