Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Old Nov 26th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: coming to Canada, and the future of our children

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmm. I can't really say about that. She might or might not want to distribute it publicly. When she's in a good mood I'll raise the subject .

Should be able to get back to you within a few months.
Lol! Could you add me to that list please?
Old Nov 27th 2014, 11:17 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers. I've just been reading some reviews and that book is headed for the OH's Christmas stocking. I think you know that her family lives and lived in and around Caen and that they have/had a vacation on house right at Omaha Beach.

She's extremely interested (as am I) in the history and in fact has just completed her own detailed historical account of the proceedings, restricting her narrative to the exact location of the house at Vierville-sur-mer.
This book will not disappoint you. There is an entire chapter on Caen. The book contains lots of maps.

The Daily Telegraph likened the chapter on Omaha to the opening seen from the film Saving Private Ryan, which is very gory. I'd say the book is the gorier of the two.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 9:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
This book will not disappoint you. There is an entire chapter on Caen. The book contains lots of maps.

The Daily Telegraph likened the chapter on Omaha to the opening seen from the film Saving Private Ryan, which is very gory. I'd say the book is the gorier of the two.
What an astonishing insight by the Torygraph hack.

I suspect we've <ahem> scene all the maps of Operation Overlord that there likely are, but a few more wouldn't harm.

BTW the German military maps are available if you go to the Deutsche Soldatenfriedhoff (German Military Cemetery) at la Cambe. This is much less well known than the American cemetery at Colleville, but just as impressive and much more informative.

I actually have half a plan to volunteer as a guide there in my dotage since I speak German, English of course and my French isn't all that bad these days.

It's only 10 km from our house.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 11:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

What an astonishing insight by the Torygraph hack.

I suspect we've <ahem> scene all the maps of Operation Overlord that there likely are, but a few more wouldn't harm.

BTW the German military maps are available if you go to the Deutsche Soldatenfriedhoff (German Military Cemetery) at la Cambe. This is much less well known than the American cemetery at Colleville, but just as impressive and much more informative.

I actually have half a plan to volunteer as a guide there in my dotage since I speak German, English of course and my French isn't all that bad these days.

It's only 10 km from our house.
Scene?

The volunteer guide idea seems interesting. Go for it.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Scene?

The volunteer guide idea seems interesting. Go for it.
My obiously-far-too-subtle way of referring to the obseen spelling in your quoted post.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:15 pm
Slob

My obiously-far-too-subtle way of referring to the obseen spelling in your quoted post.
Mea culpa. Mea maxima twat.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:29 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Read it again mate. Total rubbish.

There are bits of any inane, ill-informed rant that jive in an incidental way with someone else's perceptions. Nonetheless rubbish, prejudiced crap.

As to your last remark, if you insist on mentioning the Falklands, were there no other maps available to the mighty British Fleet than ordinance survey maps? If not it's astonishing that they actually found the Falklands in the first place.

One wonders indeed how they have ever managed to operate abroad. Ordinance Survey Maps are rare even in France.

A map, I think we might agree, is a two dimensional representation of at least part of the surface of the globe, something often referred to as the geography of the planet. There are no doubt some features highlighted on some geographical maps which concern geology. But those would rather unhelpful in planning a journey, a military campaign or a Sunday drive to see the sheep.
Of course, it's most unlike me to raise points of pedantry, but since in this very thread Novo pointed out a terminology usage error between geography and geology, might I ever-so-politely raise the spectre of the difference between the Ordnance Survey and ordinance?

The roots of both words are, of course, the same; but there's a significant difference between ordnance (roughly equating to "military hardware") and an ordinance, which is something akin to a municipal bylaw. Mind you, there are those of a libertarian persuasion who no doubt would promote the establishment of an Explosives Ordinance Disposal unit

Here endeth today's lesson.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:38 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Of course, it's most unlike me to raise points of pedantry, but since in this very thread Novo pointed out a terminology usage error between geography and geology, might I ever-so-politely raise the spectre of the difference between the Ordnance Survey and ordinance?

The roots of both words are, of course, the same; but there's a significant difference between ordnance (roughly equating to "military hardware") and an ordinance, which is something akin to a municipal bylaw. Mind you, there are those of a libertarian persuasion who no doubt would promote the establishment of an Explosives Ordinance Disposal unit

Here endeth today's lesson.
Thank you professor.

Now piss off and have a good weekend.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
Born again atheist

Can I nick Mea maxima twat from Souvy?
Old Nov 28th 2014, 11:23 pm
Slob

Can I nick Mea maxima twat from Souvy?
Feel free.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 12:03 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yeah, I have been told that the Army used Ladybird books to teach map reading to the troops.
But did you hear that Ladybird have now decided to make their books "gender neutral"?
Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

There are no doubt some features highlighted on some geographical maps which concern geology. But those would rather unhelpful in planning a journey, a military campaign or a Sunday drive to see the sheep.
Actually they did use geology maps and geologists in the Falklands War. The TA used to (maybe still does) run a geology unit; I know a couple of people who were used for the Falklands. They were working on a couple of things (from the UK):
they thought they would have to dig trenches and wanted to know how the ground was, where the trenches would stand up unshored, how hard they would be to dig in certain locations compared with others etc. where the water would come in. So the geology combined with hydrogeology told them the favorable locations

Some publications on geology and war are here:
The contribution of geologists to the development of emergency groundwater supplies by the British army

Of course geology is a reason the Falklands are key.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

You might find the article in here interesting too:

http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/~/media/sh...ry%202013.ashx
Old Nov 29th 2014, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

and this details the role in the falklands war:
Military Geology in War and Peace - Google Books