Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Canada - dream over?

Might apply for one of those myself Any chance I can live on your couch
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:54 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Might apply for one of those myself Any chance I can live on your couch
I agree, it's tough out there. Even for temps. Agency I joined said it's quiet out there.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
... Employers in Canada are very discourteous to applicants. They seem to think that it's acceptable to ignore prospective candidates ...
I am sorry to pick on you when you are having such a tough time, but this highlights a problem that some do not seem to be able to get around.

You say it is unacceptable, and it obviously is to you. However, it isn't to Canadians. You need to hit that button and reboot in Canadian mode. As a quick example look a the excellent link kiton6 gave. It talks of an immigrant who went to an interview and did not make eye contact with the interviewer. He did that because in his culture it is a sign of respect - making eye contact can be seen as challenging. The trouble is, to the Canadian interviewer it is exactly the opposite - and quite often is interpreted as a sign of dishonesty.

The differences between British and Canadian workplace cultures may not seem to be so dramatic, but make no mistake, they are very real.

Despite the claims of many on this site most employers in a city like Vancouver are quite open to employing immigrants. You will be out of buisness very soon if you restrict your hiring to cradle Canadians. But if place of birth, colour of skin, or first language are not impediments to getting a job, conforming to Canadain workplace values is.

Di yourself a favour and try and forget what is, and what is not, acceptable in the UK. Concentrate on the Canadian way.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:18 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think you make a fair point Jon.

I notice where I work, a large firm, there are a lot of non-cradle canadians - and plenty of UK expats and little old me.

Personally I'm enjoying the Canadian workplace culture. So far I've found it more professional than Australia or NZ.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

rschatha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all BE's

I thought i might just add my few pennies worth (or shall is say cents... )

Just about this networking and applying for jobs etc etc.

I have emailed maybe around 20-30 prospective employers, just asking for further information and work prospects etc etc etc. And i have recived NO replies to those emails, NOT even a acknowlegment to say..." thankyou BUT no thanks..''

In respect of networking and the concept of ' Who you Know, rather than What you know' i have contacts in the industry that i hope to work in when i move to Canada, and they have said that they will 'lookafter' me once i move to Canada, and get me job.

Its does get you down knowing that without working and finding a good job that pays well and you enjoy, whats the POINT in moving and resettling thousands of miles...........

Anyway, i suppose every situation is different, and hopefully we all find Work/Job that we enjoy.

Good Luck to everybody, who are in the process of finding work in Canada
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jericho
If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:25 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules

Here in Canada (NB Fredericton to be precise) I have found that age is irrelevant, and your thick north nottingham accent is considered classy. I know that in the UK I wouldnt have the jobs I have had here in NB, because I didnt go to the right university and I my accent didnt tinkle across the ears. plus I love mushy peas
I don't remember all Project Managers in the Uk having Oxbridge accents !?!?!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rschatha
Its does get you down knowing that without working and finding a good job that pays well and you enjoy, whats the POINT in moving and resettling thousands of miles...........
What is the point? It's a good question.

If the point is for material gain then it is a lousy idea at the moment. The exchange rate, the depressed housing market in the UK, Oil and gas in the doldrums, in fact most Canadian industry in the doldrums, Canadian employers not hiring. It is not a very attractive prospect right now for an economic migrant from a rich western nation.

If the point is that you want to live an settle in Canada then why not now? If you can get by now (and most of us can if we try hard enough) then you'll be in position to take advantage of the upturn in the economy when it eventually happens, and if that is important to you. In the meantime you are living in the place of your choice.

I moved to BC in 1999 when the provincial economy was in the crapper. I was told to expect to take at least 6 months to find a job but to bring enough money to last a year. It took me three weeks, but it was a more junior job and half the employment package I had in the UK - at first.

I didn't care. It was a job. It meant that we could settle and that, above anything else, was what mattered. Before we moved I was told by one expat that immigration sets you back 5 years in your career and your financial well being. I think this is true if you are fixed on one career path. However, once you are here and working within "the Canadian way" rather than against it you can find many opportunities to put that right.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:04 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I don't remember all Project Managers in the Uk having Oxbridge accents !?!?!
If you wanted to be in the PM in the management consultant field you needed to have a 2:1 from a redbrick university. I was once told there is no way I could be a PM ... well little did he know that was a challenge I accepted with relish.

I heard the same when I left the Army and presumed to aspired to becoming a computer programmer quote "you have no qualifications, no experience and therefore no chance, have you thought about seeking your HGV driving licence?". Must have been my tattoos that made him think I was truck driving material
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
If you wanted to be in the PM in the management consultant field you needed to have a 2:1 from a redbrick university. I was once told there is no way I could be a PM ... well little did he know that was a challenge I accepted with relish.

I heard the same when I left the Army and presumed to aspired to becoming a computer programmer quote "you have no qualifications, no experience and therefore no chance, have you thought about seeking your HGV driving licence?". Must have been my tattoos that made him think I was truck driving material
Our experiences differ.... bloody freddy know all. I was asked at several companies along the M4 'silicone valley' whether I wanted to move into P Management and I do not have a cut glass accent.

Last edited by Tangram; Nov 21st 2009 at 8:33 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
What is the point? It's a good question.

If the point is for material gain then it is a lousy idea at the moment. The exchange rate, the depressed housing market in the UK, Oil and gas in the doldrums, in fact most Canadian industry in the doldrums, Canadian employers not hiring. It is not a very attractive prospect right now for an economic migrant from a rich western nation.

If the point is that you want to live an settle in Canada then why not now? If you can get by now (and most of us can if we try hard enough) then you'll be in position to take advantage of the upturn in the economy when it eventually happens, and if that is important to you. In the meantime you are living in the place of your choice.

I moved to BC in 1999 when the provincial economy was in the crapper. I was told to expect to take at least 6 months to find a job but to bring enough money to last a year. It took me three weeks, but it was a more junior job and half the employment package I had in the UK - at first.

I didn't care. It was a job. It meant that we could settle and that, above anything else, was what mattered. Before we moved I was told by one expat that immigration sets you back 5 years in your career and your financial well being. I think this is true if you are fixed on one career path. However, once you are here and working within "the Canadian way" rather than against it you can find many opportunities to put that right.
I think you are generalizing your experience here.

1 - The stats say otherwise. Most immigrants never catch up with their local peers; and this is especially so for those with higher education. You can verify this on stats canada's website.

2 - There are large sectors of industry that are just not hiring at all, or hiring very few (EA just laid off a bunch of people for instance). Blaming peoples attitude for not finding a job is almost certainly way off the mark for the majority.

3 - I think you are over optimistic on the economy - short term you might be right, medium to long term there is still too much debt out there. (that's a whole topic on it's own though).

As I said in an earlier post, it's very easy for people that came and found work to judge those who have not and blame them for their misfortune, but that really is rush limbaugh thinking.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

bzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to allbzriddell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ...hmm...
I'm sorry Jericho if I've offended you with my 'attitude'

As a person I am open to any opportunity and have a set of skills and experiences that when I first started to look for work out here had many people saying that I'd have no issue getting a good job. Amazingly those threads have dried up completely.

I agree some people are still getting work etc and you have to work hard at it. A change of my attitude isn't the need, its more the opportunities opening up and so far there is nothing. Ok maybe my assessment of the Canadian recruitment system was hard but its my perspective, if you do not agree with my sentiments, I respect you for that.

All I can say is I'm at a hell of a low point and quite upset that my failure to secure work affects my family's dreams of a new life out here and please if you are making remarks about my attitude, know me first. I don't appreciate being kicked in the nuts when I feel this low but as a fair person I respect your opinion but do not like it.

I sympathize and agree, we landed in July this year. I have applied for so many jobs that I have lost count. We decided that we would accept jobs that were very different from those we did in the UK. The OH is working and is happy but I have found that despite being ably qualified you get nowhere fast. Some people on this forum seem to think that if you send out resumes, door knock etc that that is the answer. Most Canadian employers don't want contact with you once you have submitted your resume and ask you not to contact them and also you are not informed when jobs are pulled. The entire hiring process is much slower here than in the UK. The other issue are our qualifications and despite the views of some on this forum if your qualifications are not from a Canadian institution then it is up to you to get the 'equivalency' via IQAS and others agencies. Please don't tell me that a Masters degree, from a UK University, is the same as one from a Canadian one without the piece of paper saying so it is not! In fact I've found that the stumbling block is often my lack of Grade 12 Diploma - amazing eh?

Whatever you decide to do don't give up, keep applying and try not to get too despondent. I came across an article recently, every 'No' or non response is closer to the 'Yes' and the success in landing a job. It has taken so long to get here so think positive I am despite the downs.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:14 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
Jericho, you are comming across as a bit of a tosser here. Could be that you are a very lucky boy in the fact that Canada lacks enough experienced insurence underwriters, to fill their positions. It may not be as easy to find jobs in other fields, as you seem to believe.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:23 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bzriddell
Some people on this forum seem to think that if you send out resumes, door knock etc that that is the answer.
It has been the answer for some. It worked OK for me, had two job offers before arriving to live in Canada. Conversely I know of people who had to look for years before finding something they really liked.

Most Canadian employers don't want contact with you once you have submitted your resume and ask you not to contact them and also you are not informed when jobs are pulled. The entire hiring process is much slower here than in the UK.
As an employer, I don't want people calling me up, I have a business to run. It is the way things are done, apply for a job, we'll call if we want to interview, we won't if we don't. Once we interview we let everyone know the outcome. There are lots of things that are different, this is one of them. Canadians don't have a problem with it, it is the way it's done here.

The other issue are our qualifications and despite the views of some on this forum if your qualifications are not from a Canadian institution then it is up to you to get the 'equivalency' via IQAS and others agencies. Please don't tell me that a Masters degree, from a UK University, is the same as one from a Canadian one without the piece of paper saying so it is not! In fact I've found that the stumbling block is often my lack of Grade 12 Diploma - amazing eh?
It was never a problem for me. The only qualification I had to change to a Canadian one was my license. You cannot legally work for a Canadian carrier on a UK license. It was easier and quicker than getting my drivers license. I have never experienced a problem with my other UK qualifications or had the equivalency evaluated. Thought about it, but has it had never caused me an issue so did not bother.

If you have a masters from anywhere, grade 12 is not going to be a concern.

A lot of job hunting is also timing. If you are fortunate enough to have the qualifications and time it right there is always a chance. One should also look at the resume, although we each feel ours looks good, does it look good enough? There are some job hunting resources hout there, that also help with resumes, such as these guys http://www.bowmanemployment.com/

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 21st 2009 at 9:25 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:36 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Our experiences differ.... bloody freddy know all. I was asked at several companies along the M4 'silicone valley' whether I wanted to move into P Management and I do not have a cut glass accent.
tsk tsk you Riverview rabble coming down here taking our jobs.

I am sure you look posher than I do, hence the request to go to PM. Apparently I have this latent violence aura (which is handy when managing projects). I must remember to stop wearing the hobnail boots and carrying a riot baton probably doesnt help either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.