Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Coming to Canada - dream over?

Originally Posted by ...hmm...
Well as the title says, is the dream over?

I did everything in the guides, applied from the UK and no joy, even got PR this year and not as much as a sniff of anything. Tried every trick and they're all dead ends, not being horrible but the employment methods in Canada stink, its who you know and not what you can do, jobs for the boys, nepotism etc are the real deals. I envy those of you who have succeeded, shame I can't sell my PR!
Sorry to hear how tough it's going. I know exactly how you feel. I've done pretty much same as you. Got my PR, landed and applied like mad everywhere (in IT) but all the ad's and postings I've applied for end up with no reply or response. Things move so slowly here. I've tried recruitment agents who say very positive things about my prospects then never get back to you despite me sending regular email reminders. I agree. It stinks ! It's very much WHO you know here and I get so frustrated when I put all my time and effort into adapting and re-writing loads of resumes again (and again) to find it's gone to an internal candidate and that the ad's are just advertised as part of company procedure.

The only suggestion I can make is to try and network as much as you can. I'm going to an 'ex-pats' meet up for the first time since being here to see if I can gleen some advice, stories, information, suggestions or find if anyone know's of any jobs going at there places, or someone they may know who works in the industry that you're in. At least try and start a social circle so if anyone does hear of any openings, they'll remember you ? Also try joining LinkedIn which is a social website aimed at jobs and networking. There's also Craigslist ? Or maybe you've tried all these and got to the point where you are ?

I've been here for 6 weeks now so may be not long compared to some ? How long have you been here ? What sort of timescale have you got before you seriously have to think about going back ? The forthcoming holiday season tends to get a little thinner regards job vacancies but who knows what the new year will bring ? Can you last out a little longer into the new year ?

The majority of those who have landed jobs must have got it when the economy was so much better than now. It's just unfortunate we've come at a bad time. I agree it's very demoralising, frustrating and annoying but your experience (and feelings) are very similar to mine and all I can say is we got to keep trying. Keep at it, be persistant, even pushy and I'm sure we'll soon find jobs, albeit not an exact fit but a job nevertheless from which we can build our future. Good luck and keep faith. Keep the dream alive !
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

So where exactly have you been looking in Alberta?

I would agree with you that -certainly here in Calgary 'networking' is everything....It is to a large degree who you know and who someone else can put you in touch with. I would also (maybe to howls of protest) say that it is something that many Brits are not comfortable doing....Anyway....sometimes it does just come down to someone offering to help so.....My husband has a ton of contacts. He was Head of Project Management for a large firm here in Calgary....has just switched to a consultancy....He maybe able to help - or maybe not. Certainly he will give you an honest opinion on Calgary and whether you 'fit'

IF you are interested PM me and give me some more detail of your experience. I can pass it on and you never know!

Good luck anyway
Lisa
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:56 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry Jericho if I've offended you with my 'attitude'

As a person I am open to any opportunity and have a set of skills and experiences that when I first started to look for work out here had many people saying that I'd have no issue getting a good job. Amazingly those threads have dried up completely.

I agree some people are still getting work etc and you have to work hard at it. A change of my attitude isn't the need, its more the opportunities opening up and so far there is nothing. Ok maybe my assessment of the Canadian recruitment system was hard but its my perspective, if you do not agree with my sentiments, I respect you for that.

All I can say is I'm at a hell of a low point and quite upset that my failure to secure work affects my family's dreams of a new life out here and please if you are making remarks about my attitude, know me first. I don't appreciate being kicked in the nuts when I feel this low but as a fair person I respect your opinion but do not like it.
There seems to be some cynical people on here tonight! Jobs are about timing and certain amount of luck; However, in this climate its harder. Did you consider taking what you can to give yourself some breathing room? I was here a good 7 years before I got into law enforcement.

My OH (Canadian) agrees about the Net Working mind set here, especially in Vancouver where it's a smaller job market. Guess that's just the way it is, even more so when the market is tight - nepotism and who you know will have an affect.

Good luck

Last edited by dboy; Nov 21st 2009 at 1:00 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:57 am
Just Joined

...hmm... is an unknown quantity at this point

trouncer, sorry to hear you're in the same boat, crap isn't it.

leepee, thank you for your kind offer
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:00 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I sound harsh, and I'm certainly not offended. I just kinda get ticked off with the woe is me attitude.
If you want something strong enough, you've got to fight for it. Blaming everyone else, the recruitment system, not being Canadian etc etc isnt going to solve anything.
As has been mentioned, you need to stay positive, persistent and most of all, show enthusiasm.

To the other poster, Trouncer, who says they dont get replies to emails.... well use some initiative and pick up the phone. I know plenty of people who dont read emails on a daily basis, or if they do, they're a week or two behind.
Just pick up the phone... or better still, make an appointment and go for a face to face.

Even if you cant get a job now, it doesnt mean your dreams are over. It might just mean you need to try again in a couple of months. Getting your face in front of as many employers NOW will stand you in good stead in the future.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Jericho,

Thank you for clarifying your position, I appreciate that.

I'm not blaming the system, I have hit a brick wall.

I agree getting face time with people is essential, problem I find is even as getting as far as that.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what the ratio is between people who came over on PR without a job and then found one (that they could live with) and those who failed to do so and gave up?

I'd be surprised if it was as high as 1:1 in recent years.

I've said it before and been pilloried for saying it, but I think that that approach is basically insane.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jericho
To the other poster, Trouncer, who says they dont get replies to emails.... well use some initiative and pick up the phone. I know plenty of people who dont read emails on a daily basis, or if they do, they're a week or two behind.
Just pick up the phone... or better still, make an appointment and go for a face to face.
Just for the record I do pick up the phone. Many times (but not all the time) I just end up speaking to automated voice systems or voice mail where I always leave a message asking if they could ring me back or that I will ring them later (which I do to the same result). I have also tried going to the company only to be brick-walled by the receptionist that any enquiries about vacancies need to be addressed or sent via there website. I rang a company only yesterday just to 'confirm' if they'd received my resume from a week ago and she refused to put me through to HR and to say they don't reveal such information ! I'm just asking for confirmation for christs sake ! Anyway, I do understand what you're saying about attitude and I do intend to keep trying, reviewing and pesisting. I'm not moaning, just frustrated.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:26 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Sorry if I sound harsh, and I'm certainly not offended. I just kinda get ticked off with the woe is me attitude.
If you want something strong enough, you've got to fight for it. Blaming everyone else, the recruitment system, not being Canadian etc etc isnt going to solve anything.
As has been mentioned, you need to stay positive, persistent and most of all, show enthusiasm.

Even if you cant get a job now, it doesnt mean your dreams are over. It might just mean you need to try again in a couple of months. Getting your face in front of as many employers NOW will stand you in good stead in the future.
You are funny. I suspect if you were in their position you'd be whining just as much, actually probably more.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:28 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
There seems to be some cynical people on here tonight! Jobs are about timing and certain amount of luck; However, in this climate its harder. Did you consider taking what you can to give yourself some breathing room? I was here a good 7 years before I got into law enforcement.

My OH (Canadian) agrees about the Net Working mind set here, especially in Vancouver where it's a smaller job market. Guess that's just the way it is, even more so when the market is tight - nepotism and who you know will have an affect.

Good luck
I completely agree with this.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:36 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

trouncer, sorry to hear you're in the same boat, crap isn't it.

leepee, thank you for your kind offer
along the lines of what dboy was saying, the cops are hiring at the moment in AB, with PR you could apply, don't know if you were aware or not, some think you need to be a citizen, but this is only for the mounties.
it may not be a job that appeals, or one that you would like, the starting money compared to what you are used to is probably crap. but, the benefits are ok, and if you wanted a job that developed contacts you cannot do much better. pm me if you want to know more, happy to help.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:46 am
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

From experience when OH was laid off from his job 2 years ago, it takes a lot of hard work to find another job. If I remember rightly he was told at the time that it takes about 6 months on average to find employment. As others have said it's networking, sending resumes following up on them and pounding the pavement. It takes work to find employment. I'm not criticising here,just telling how it is. The days of walking into a job because you have the right qualifications are gone there are many others who have the same, you have to have the most persistance. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Below is a link to some excellent advice, particularly when you feel that gaining decent employment is almost impossible as an immigrant to Canada:

http://www.vircs.bc.ca/barriers.php

This organisation helped me a lot in understanding how the Canadian labour market works, and it is completely different from the UK - I think a lot of people tend to arrive and expect that because the majority speak English here that it's the same system as in the UK, it's not. Networking is very important, almost essential, and in order to find a "dream job" you may have to consider taking a lower-paid job, or a job below your current skill-set at a company in order to network your way toward that ideal job.

Also, consider setting-up informational interviews as part of your networking skill. That can definitely open doors.

Good luck though, it is tough out there, but there are good jobs available you've just got to know how to find & use the techniques to finding them.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:45 am
Just Joined

All,

Thank you for your comments and support so far.

I apologise for those who think I'm whingeing.

However I appreciate your comments and your support and I'm glad to see that the BE forum is as supporting as I hoped it would be.

And kiton6 - thanks for the link, interesting article.

Thank you all once again.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

This is biased though. Overall employment process in Canada sucks big style. Of course positive hiring experiences will be the same. It's how the negative hiring experience differs that matters. Employers in Canada are very discourteous to applicants. They seem to think that it's acceptable to ignore prospective candidates, but they're around you like flies on shite when the market picks up. It's just ignorance on their part and a recruiting practise that is sorely inferior to that in the UK.

Originally Posted by R I C H
Maybe that's the case in some sectors, but my experience has been just the same as the UK - see a job, send in resume, interview and get hired. Sorry to hear you've found it a struggle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.