Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Coming to Canada - dream over?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Coming to Canada - dream over?

This is bullshit. There's many factors. Telling him it's his fault is pointless. Looks like you've lowered yourself to the Canadian way of doing things... Yes attitude has a role - you're right. But he's pointing out facts that many many people happen to agree with, and he's dead right

Originally Posted by jericho
If there's one thing that stinks, I think it's your attitude.
Sorry, but if you've not got a job, there's something you're not doing right. Plenty of people have come over and got themselves jobs; plenty of people still are.
Change your attitude and you might have better luck.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

I sympathize with the OP, even if I don't exactly concur with his opinions. In my personal field the job market is dead - 8/10 of professional job postings are 'work study', basically getting students to do patch-over temp jobs for free instead of employing full-time professional staff. That's not a whinge, it's just how things are at present and, yes, it sucks.

As for 'the old boys' network'...my OH got an interview and job for his first application due to an obscure connection back with someone at his UK job. I'm not saying he's not worth it, but that was the aspect that flagged up his application out of the thousand or so they apparently received. (Not to say it isn't the same in the UK).

I've been dropped from temping agencies for being 'too overqualified' (people won't consider someone with a Masters for full-time data entry or admin, since they won't believe you'll stick around, no matter how much you stress a need to pay the bills), which is fair enough I guess - it's an employers market. I'm looking for cleaning jobs over Christmas.

Really though, it's not fair to say that it's a case of not working hard enough to put yourself out there, or not being 'Canadian enough' (I am Canadian).
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:54 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
This is biased though. Overall employment process in Canada sucks big style. Of course positive hiring experiences will be the same. It's how the negative hiring experience differs that matters.
How's it biased? I've only stated my experience - any employment I've got here either as an employee or contractor has been via response to an ad and an interview process. Networking isn't the only way to gain employment here, IME.

With no disrespect to those that are struggling to get work, I really believe that if you've skills that are in demand, and are able to demonstrate your abilities well on paper and/or face to face, then finding a job is no more difficult than in the UK. If you're in an industry that's suffering the ability ($) to stay patient is important until things pick up.

I was self employed here for 4yrs, and it enabled me to wait for the right opportunities to come along. In a relatively small town they're few and far between, but if you like your location and environment you have to put yourself in a position that means the wait is feasible.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
This is biased though. Overall employment process in Canada sucks big style. Of course positive hiring experiences will be the same. It's how the negative hiring experience differs that matters. Employers in Canada are very discourteous to applicants. They seem to think that it's acceptable to ignore prospective candidates, but they're around you like flies on shite when the market picks up. It's just ignorance on their part and a recruiting practise that is sorely inferior to that in the UK.
"Overall employment process in Canada sucks big style"... in comparison to what?
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
For many it takes time, how long have you been trying. Many have to take jobs they would not ordinarily take from choice to survive and look for something better, sometimes it may take a few years.
Good luck to everyone out there. It isn't easy. I have ranted on here out of sheer frustration and people should give a little slack. However, onto the above point:

And therein, is the problem for me. I don't see enough positives of Canada over the UK to waste 5+ yrs of my life getting back to where I started. If I was from the 3rd world, I could see the opportunity. But I see more opportunity back in the UK/Europe.

Originally Posted by leepee
So where exactly have you been looking in Alberta?

I would agree with you that -certainly here in Calgary 'networking' is everything....It is to a large degree who you know and who someone else can put you in touch with. I would also (maybe to howls of protest) say that it is something that many Brits are not comfortable doing....Anyway....sometimes it does just come down to someone offering to help so.....My husband has a ton of contacts. He was Head of Project Management for a large firm here in Calgary....has just switched to a consultancy....He maybe able to help - or maybe not. Certainly he will give you an honest opinion on Calgary and whether you 'fit'

IF you are interested PM me and give me some more detail of your experience. I can pass it on and you never know!

Good luck anyway
Lisa
No, I'm not comfortable attempting to network with complete strangers, with the sole motive of trying to secure a job. If I knew loads of people and it was that easy to set myself up, I'd wouldn't complain for sure. Maybe, I'm just more comfortable with some old fashioned notion of employing the best qualified person for the job, rather than some friend of my cousins.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

dippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant future

Well done to you Lisa a real offer of help and not just commentary!

Originally Posted by leepee
So where exactly have you been looking in Alberta?

I would agree with you that -certainly here in Calgary 'networking' is everything....It is to a large degree who you know and who someone else can put you in touch with. I would also (maybe to howls of protest) say that it is something that many Brits are not comfortable doing....Anyway....sometimes it does just come down to someone offering to help so.....My husband has a ton of contacts. He was Head of Project Management for a large firm here in Calgary....has just switched to a consultancy....He maybe able to help - or maybe not. Certainly he will give you an honest opinion on Calgary and whether you 'fit'

IF you are interested PM me and give me some more detail of your experience. I can pass it on and you never know!

Good luck anyway
Lisa
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

dippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant future

I also work in the oil industry as an Operations Manager with OIM experience. To be honest I have not found it too difficult to obtain offers in Canada, albeit one was with a previous employer, although for one reason or another have yet to take one up! I would agree with the suggestion to try employers in Newfoundland but Halifax has also got ongoing projects such as Deep Panuke with Encana. Another good thing about Canada, in my limited experience, they dont seem to mind if you are getting on in age! I am 57.....

You will just have to keep going if you want to keep the dream.

Remember, no point in playing in a game to the wrong set of rules and norms..... so do your homework and adapt to the needs of the system in Canada. Employers there do know good people when they see them.... make sure that your contact material is as it should be i.e CV etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by dippy; Nov 21st 2009 at 10:14 am. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I wonder what the ratio is between people who came over on PR without a job and then found one (that they could live with) and those who failed to do so and gave up?

I'd be surprised if it was as high as 1:1 in recent years.

I've said it before and been pilloried for saying it, but I think that that approach is basically insane.
But that's what the Canadian Government expect you to do. It's the point of the proof of settlement funds rule. I think also when you go over there and employers and agencies make comments like "we'll be able to do something when you move here" you can hardly blame people.

In this economic climate, I personally would be extremely reticent to move without a job, so to some extent I agree. But, it all depends on your employability - so you would need to do the research.

You also have to remember that this forum is self-selecting - those that are motivated to post and complain or ask for advice in getting jobs most likely outweigh those that have moved and are happy in their current situation.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brizzle
Good luck to everyone out there. It isn't easy. I have ranted on here out of sheer frustration and people should give a little slack. However, onto the above point:

And therein, is the problem for me. I don't see enough positives of Canada over the UK to waste 5+ yrs of my life getting back to where I started. If I was from the 3rd world, I could see the opportunity. But I see more opportunity back in the UK/Europe.

No, I'm not comfortable attempting to network with complete strangers, with the sole motive of trying to secure a job. If I knew loads of people and it was that easy to set myself up, I'd wouldn't complain for sure. Maybe, I'm just more comfortable with some old fashioned notion of employing the best qualified person for the job, rather than some friend of my cousins.
If your career is your primary motivation in life then I agree with you.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:57 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Job hunting is basically a numbers game, the better your research, networking, resume the less number of applications you have to go through.

In the UK when I left the Army I applied for 250 jobs in IT before landing one. I applied to job openings in Hastings to Aberdeen. I have developed a personal approach and process for job hunting that covers the research, networking and resume writing that shortens the numbers.

In my experience very few will offer a job unless you are face to face, and it really needs to you follow up with calls. I would consider sending speculative letters/emails out, ask for informational interviews and follow up.

My story is in the wiki I suggest you read through the job hunting section it has many gems of advice.

I have to say that although the job search and getting process in Canada is very different to the UK unemployed in both is a sad situation. You find yourself being hurt by every rejection or ignored application and you then start to reduce your sights (spirally down the job levels) and fail because you are obviously not suited to those roles.

A great book to read is the "Resume Guide for 100, 000 Dollars and Executive Jobs" any amazon site stock it. I found this book to be invaluable even if applying for under $100,000

Here in Canada (NB Fredericton to be precise) I have found that age is irrelevant, and your thick north nottingham accent is considered classy. I know that in the UK I wouldnt have the jobs I have had here in NB, because I didnt go to the right university and I my accent didnt tinkle across the ears. plus I love mushy peas
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

It took me 6 months to get my first job here, and yes I was very shocked at the Canadian way of doing things, it seems very rude when you are constantly ignored. It was a very crappy job, but it was a job, and I found after that it was easier to get other jobs, as I think employers aren't so scared to take on an immigrant who already has a job. So maybe see if you can get ANY job to start with no matter how crappy, it will be a start? Don't give up and good luck
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I wonder what the ratio is between people who came over on PR without a job and then found one (that they could live with) and those who failed to do so and gave up?

I'd be surprised if it was as high as 1:1 in recent years.

I've said it before and been pilloried for saying it, but I think that that approach is basically insane.
Knowing what I know now - I agree. I consider myself very lucky as my job came with me. I was actually prepared to walk if my company hadn't been flexible, but now I'm really grateful they were. I think I'd have been making the same complaints as the OP six months ago, and maybe have gone home already (Vancouver is very provincial and insular when it comes to employment and I despise the whole concept of networking. I would not do well in the job market here).

I suspect that many on here who came in the years up to 2007 when the job market was booming, the exchange rate was excellent and they could sell their house for mega-bucks have little understanding of what it is like for recent immigrants. It's considerably more difficult today and people shouldn't be so quick to extrapolate their own experiences.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I have pm'd you a few suggestions/leads for Eastern Canada - Good luck with it - I think you came over at the worst time in 10 years for the fields that you are looking in
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

pusky123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I'm also PR, just about to move.

I've found that making contact from the UK is a waste of time - you need to be in the country. So wasn't thrilled to read you are there and still no luck.

One thing i did notice though - people were much more helpful on the telephone. Emails don't seem to even register - very different culture to UK.

Are there any low skilled / low paid jobs you can do in the interim to keep the dream alive? Thats what I'd been hoping to do if I cant work in my chosen profession.

Hope you find something,
Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea if these positions apply to you but they were in today's Calgary Herald.

See attached PDF

Also a couple of articles from the same paper that may or may not help.

When reformatting resume, be wary of weak wording

What employers hate about applications

Cheers
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SNCLavalin002.pdf (480.9 KB, 130 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.