Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Old Dec 5th 2008, 1:42 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming to Alberta - please just be aware

Originally Posted by GavinR
Ontario is generally known as the East here, which of course it is from here.
It's all how one views Canada.

Ontario sees itself as being central, western provinces see it as the east.

To westerners there is no central Canada there is only east and west and the east starts at the Manitoba/Ontario border.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 5:16 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Without getting invloved in the politics at all, I just wanted to mention something that was said at work today.

We are currently recruiting a receptionist for the front desk in the rehab dept ..... We have more than 75 applicants, of which over 30 are apparently possibly suitable.

This would have been unheard of a relatively short while ago, when there were simply not enough available workers.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Without getting invloved in the politics at all, I just wanted to mention something that was said at work today.

We are currently recruiting a receptionist for the front desk in the rehab dept ..... We have more than 75 applicants, of which over 30 are apparently possibly suitable.

This would have been unheard of a relatively short while ago, when there were simply not enough available workers.
How much of the increase in applicants is due to the health care re-structuring and the freeze on hiring into posts at present?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jancal
I would like to add my comments for those still in the UK thinking of coming to Alberta. I am sorry to be the prophet of doom. There will be many more instances of contract reneging as has happened in a previous post. Employers in Alberta have no hesitation in letting anyone go when times get tough and especially those on work permits – you will be the first. Contracts will be null and void. It has happened before and sadly looks like happening again. If Canadians are losing their jobs they will have no hesitation in casting you adrift - there is no safety net here.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be aware that things in Alberta are turning and not for the good. The problems in Ottawa and the likelihood (OK put on hold for now) of a coalition government with no representation in Alberta are really not helping. I have stated before that companies are looking to BC and Sask to invest now. Even that could be coming to an end.

I know I will be shouted down as usual by some (funnily enough in the East) but I can only tell you what is going on Downtown Calgary. My usually very upbeat boss of my little oil and gas company is so down today and I think he and the rest of the guys feel completely betrayed. The thing I cannot forgive those bozos in Ottawa for is that they never – not one of them – put their country first. Power was all they were interested in and we are now suffering because of it. The antics of Ottawa have done more damage to this great country than any terrorist ever could.

I just think of the lovely folk in the UK with their dreams of a new life but who could be risking so much. So please think very carefully before you sell your houses and uproot your children, etc.
Good post. This is what happens in a global depression, which some of us have been predicting for years, usually to much mocking and ridicule. This will get much worse before it gets better. Questions for now: how far will they devalue the currencies? Should you keep your wealth in cash or buy real assets? What about gold - up or down? When does deflation turn into hyperinflation? Will there be tent cities in the UK when the hundreds of thousands of repossessions happen next year? Is the government expecting massive social unrest? Why have they ordered 10,000 tasers? Will there be tent cities in Canada? Who wants to spend a winter in a tent? Will there be red cross tents in Canada and the UK dishing out soup like in "first-world democracy" Iceland?

Last edited by Tableland; Dec 5th 2008 at 2:28 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Should you keep your wealth in cash or buy real assets?
<smug>

I have no wealth!

</smug>
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

yorkie lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to add my comments for those still in the UK thinking of coming to Alberta. I am sorry to be the prophet of doom. There will be many more instances of contract reneging as has happened in a previous post. Employers in Alberta have no hesitation in letting anyone go when times get tough and especially those on work permits – you will be the first. Contracts will be null and void. It has happened before and sadly looks like happening again. If Canadians are losing their jobs they will have no hesitation in casting you adrift - there is no safety net here.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be aware that things in Alberta are turning and not for the good. The problems in Ottawa and the likelihood (OK put on hold for now) of a coalition government with no representation in Alberta are really not helping. I have stated before that companies are looking to BC and Sask to invest now. Even that could be coming to an end.

I know I will be shouted down as usual by some (funnily enough in the East) but I can only tell you what is going on Downtown Calgary. My usually very upbeat boss of my little oil and gas company is so down today and I think he and the rest of the guys feel completely betrayed. The thing I cannot forgive those bozos in Ottawa for is that they never – not one of them – put their country first. Power was all they were interested in and we are now suffering because of it. The antics of Ottawa have done more damage to this great country than any terrorist ever could.

I just think of the lovely folk in the UK with their dreams of a new life but who could be risking so much. So please think very carefully before you sell your houses and uproot your children, etc.
But on a positive note regarding gas prices................at least its cheaper to fill the cars up now!!!
Regarding oil companies.....when its good, employees get all sorts of perks including fantastic bonuses. Sums of money that ordinary folk can only dream about getting as a bonus!! So all I can say is, do what the rest of us have been having to do and tighten the old belt in a bit!
Old Dec 5th 2008, 6:39 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yorkie lad
But on a positive note regarding gas prices................at least its cheaper to fill the cars up now!!!
Regarding oil companies.....when its good, employees get all sorts of perks including fantastic bonuses. Sums of money that ordinary folk can only dream about getting as a bonus!! So all I can say is, do what the rest of us have been having to do and tighten the old belt in a bit!
Well my OH must be holding out on me, he has never in all the years he has been an engineer in Oil & Gas had a bonus. He works contract so it does not apply to all. We just have to take the good with the bad.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:19 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not only that, but who are doing diddlysquat to prevent job losses in Alberta and every where else.
Let's go commie.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's all how one views Canada.

Ontario sees itself as being central, western provinces see it as the east.

To westerners there is no central Canada there is only east and west and the east starts at the Manitoba/Ontario border.
So where does that put me I wonder? Far East?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:33 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Well my OH must be holding out on me, he has never in all the years he has been an engineer in Oil & Gas had a bonus. He works contract so it does not apply to all. We just have to take the good with the bad.

So he gets paid more than a staff person, is able to indulge in creative taxation.................and has little job security, but thats the risk you take being a contractor.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Thanks for the heads up.

I would only come over if I had a staff position with a company as I have talked to an agency who said when the price of oil fell - the contract labour also went.

I can apply for PR as my occupation has appeared on the list. So hopefully it will mean that I am in a better position than currently.

Thanks again JanCal - - keep us posted with the developments in the Industry as they get better or worse.

JET
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:36 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
So he gets paid more than a staff person, is able to indulge in creative taxation.................and has little job security, but thats the risk you take being a contractor.
As I said we take the rough with the smooth. No real security but when its good its really good.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:41 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Rest assured its not just Alberta though - I just saw this headline: Canada loses 70,600 jobs in a month, most since 1982: unemployment 6.3 per cent - http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/0...ost-since.html

Of the 71,000 job losses, 66,000 were in Ontario.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

What is that mostly ? Car Industry ? or just in general like stores etc..?

JET
Old Dec 5th 2008, 7:58 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by JET747
What is that mostly ? Car Industry ? or just in general like stores etc..?

JET
most of it manufacturing - I would guess auto industry is a large chunk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.