Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Come to Canada and starve!

Wikiposts

Come to Canada and starve!

Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Simon and Susanne will become famous soon enoughSimon and Susanne will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Come to Canada and starve!

Originally Posted by seacreature
Well obviously you, like most folk in the UK seem to know better than us
Brits already out here!
There is a lot about Canada that is better than the UK don't get me wrong... i.e not as violent, fewer racists, more tolerant, less anti-social behavior, slower pace of life. These of course are big plus points.
However if you imagine you'll be financially better off you're likely in for a serious shock. Unless you win the lotto or bring a vast amount of money, it's probable that you'll be much worse off financially. Work here is harder to come by, your experience and qualifications may not be recognised and the pay is less.
Economic reasons should certainly NOT be a reason for coming to Canada.
You have a very valid point, I am looking at the T shirt, you are wearing it. The reasons you have mentioned are the reasons we are looking at Canada. And bringing up our children in (in our humble opinion) in a better environment with higher values not ££££'s). We realise that we are going to struggle to start and I am going to have to perhaps jump through loops for a job, any job regardless of my qualifications. We will not have a vast amount of money, we estimate about £120-130k to bring with us. We know we are not going to live like kings, quite the opposite we are going to use the money to get a small place within our budget when we know where we want to live and the rest is to provide a wage until I can get a job, any job to start and we'll work up from there. I plan to have about £30k to support us for a couple of years (worst case senario) while I find a job. We are saving now and look at every pound saved is 2 dollars towards Canada. We just want a happy life without worrying about paying the bills. If anyone can offer any positive advice on the cost of living in BC, gas, water electric et al. We would be truly grateful. We want to go into this with our eyes wide open. We don't expect to be rich in cash bit would like a rich full life and better prospects for our two very young children, after all money is not everything, it helps stop you living on the street and starving, but it is not everything.

Many thanx

Simon

Last edited by Simon and Susanne; Mar 27th 2005 at 2:00 am.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Simon and Susanne
You have a very valid point, I am looking at the T shirt, you are wearing it. The reasons you have mentioned are the reasons we are looking at Canada. And bringing up our children in (in our humble opinion) in a better environment with higher values not ££££'s). We realise that we are going to struggle to start and I am going to have to perhaps jump through loops for a job, any job regardless of my qualifications. We will not have a vast amount of money, we estimate about £120-130k to bring with us. We know we are not going to live like kings, quite the opposite we are going to use the money to get a small place within our budget when we know where we want to live and the rest is to provide a wage until I can get a job, any job to start and we'll work up from there. I plan to have about £30k to support us for a couple of years (worst case senario) while I find a job. We are saving now and look at every pound saved is 2 dollars towards Canada. We just want a happy life without worrying about paying the bills. If anyone can offer any positive advice on the cost of living in BC, gas, water electric et al. We would be truly grateful. We want to go into this with our eyes wide open. We don't expect to be rich in cash bit would like a rich full life and better prospects for our two very young children, after all money is not everything, it helps stop you living on the street and starving, but it is not everything.

Many thanx

Simon
Well 120k is certainly going to last a long time, assuming you're not using some of that to buy a house with?
I came with only $20k which is nowhere near enough in my opinion. You really need enough money to survive at least a year.
The safety factor is certainly a massive plus when it comes to living over here. Britain has become so lawless and violent just lately, I didn't even used to like leaving the house after dark in Leeds. Not like that in Toronto at all.

First thing I would do when you've settled in Canada is volunteer for loads of stuff. I wish I'd done this earlier.
You meet loads of contacts, meet friends, get Canadian references and Canadian experience, plus everyone tells me it sounds great on your resume. Seemingly you can't lose.
I've tried and tried to get work without Canadian experience/references and believe me, it's seemingly impossible.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:05 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon and Susanne
We don't expect to be rich in cash bit would like a rich full life and better prospects for our two very young children, after all money is not everything, it helps stop you living on the street and starving, but it is not everything.

Many thanx

Simon
What are these better prospects though? What exactly is it that you think might be better here for your kids? Mine are being sent back to Europe to get a decent education, life experience and travel! I did my children a huge disservice bringing them here, albeit unwittingly. Prospects in BC are limited to BC and the West Coast. Travel is horrendously expensive, once here you are stuck here. BC society is not to my personal liking, but you find people of like minds when you have to make the best of it. Money is everything here...without it, you are utterly screwed in this province.

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 27th 2005 at 8:12 am.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dingbat
What are these better prospects though? What exactly is it that you think might be better here for your kids? Mine are being sent back to Europe to get a decent education, life experience and travel! I did my children a huge disservice bringing them here, albeit unwittingly. Prospects in BC are limited to BC and the West Coast. Travel is horrendously expensive, once here you are stuck here. BC society is not to my personal liking, but you find people of like minds when you have to make the best of it. Money is everything here...without it, you are utterly screwed in this province.
Seems like the discipline levels are getting a lot better. I envy you dingbat, I really do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4386257.stm
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:08 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spongebob
Seems like the discipline levels are getting a lot better. I envy you dingbat, I really do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4386257.stm
"turnaround schools" lol....weren't they called "borstal" a while back?

P.S. Did you move? I vaguely remember you were leaving Willmore's paradise for Eastern shores? Perhaps I am mistaken!

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 27th 2005 at 10:14 am.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Discounting sink schools I'd say overall education standards in Britain are higher than Canada. Some of the coursework I've seen for 15/16 years olds over here seems frighteningly easy.
Just my opinion.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

"turnaround schools" lol....weren't they called "borstal" a while back?

P.S. Did you move? I vaguely remember you were leaving Willmore's paradise for Eastern shores? Perhaps I am mistaken!

Were still here on the island enjoying the warm temps and all the flowers. Moving East is still a possibility since house prices are a lot lower, but the weather a lot colder. We have got so used to the brillant weather here on the island that we are staying put at present. Wait and see if the house prices will take a nose dive. Wishful thinking me thinks
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Were still here on the island enjoying the warm temps and all the flowers. Moving East is still a possibility since house prices are a lot lower, but the weather a lot colder. We have got so used to the brillant weather here on the island that we are staying put at present. Wait and see if the house prices will take a nose dive. Wishful thinking me thinks

Personally I don't think that they can sustain the level that they are at now.....for much longer. It's been predicted that there will be a slow decline, but a decline none the less. For the past 4 years as you know house prices have been tremendously expensive. Our property tax has gone up 4% for this year......

I hope you find something soon!!!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

thomas elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by _Dave_
The way UK people talk, they make it sound like getting a job in Canada is impossible.

Obviously someone in Canada has a job, because there is only a 7% unemployment rate at the moment.

http://www.statcan.ca/english/Subjec...LFS/lfs-en.htm
You might want to look at the methodology StatsCan uses to calculate those rates. The "seasonally adjusted" factor is a good example. Independant and professional statisticians would put the rate around twenty percent. And even that is counting the minimum job, no benefit positions.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fairystar
lol
that also includes the payment to buy our home and live off we plan with the remains we d have maybe a year to get a job within as we are looking at houses for about $150000-170000
:-)
I sure don't want to rain on your parade but be a little carefull not to let your dreams cloud your judgement in terms of moving to Canada.
My father moved here fro Bishop Auckland in the thirties.Things have changed and conyinue to change here.
You can buy a modest house in Vancouver for 240,00 CDN. or but the same modest house in Small town Prairies for 20,000.
If you don't mind the cold and both have saleable skills you may want to go the small town route. You don'y read much about it because of political correctness issues but there is a lot of racial violence in and around the big cities, especially Vancouver.
It would be lovely to have more Brits here, but really, think before you move.
Travel here, buy a cheap car, travel the country and then make a decision. In any case...good luck in whatever you decide.
Tom in B.C.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 1:54 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by thomas elliott
You might want to look at the methodology StatsCan uses to calculate those rates. The "seasonally adjusted" factor is a good example. Independant and professional statisticians would put the rate around twenty percent. And even that is counting the minimum job, no benefit positions.
Spot on. The "real" unemployment figure is around 21%. Stats Canada is notorious for being way off base.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

We're hanging on for the same thing. We've been here for over 3.5 yrs on the Island and have begun seriously house hunting for the last month or so and haven't found anything we like (mainly looking East/West/Central/North Sannich). We've decided to stay put in our rented accomodation and see what happens.

Cheers - Steve

Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seacreature
Well obviously you, like most folk in the UK seem to know better than us
Brits already out here!
There is a lot about Canada that is better than the UK don't get me wrong... i.e not as violent, fewer racists, more tolerant, less anti-social behavior, slower pace of life. These of course are big plus points.
However if you imagine you'll be financially better off you're likely in for a serious shock. Unless you win the lotto or bring a vast amount of money, it's probable that you'll be much worse off financially. Work here is harder to come by, your experience and qualifications may not be recognised and the pay is less.
Economic reasons should certainly NOT be a reason for coming to Canada.
Spot On. I second and Third that. This big Canadian Dream I see sold abroad is just bogus...but I guess it keeps the immigration lawyers busy. Think twice before moving to Canada.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

Prospects in BC are limited to BC and the West Coast. Travel is horrendously expensive, once here you are stuck here.

You've hit the nail on the head here! I agree so much. While I like Canada a lot and appreciate the fact it allows us to live here as Permanent Residents, I sort of feel "landlocked" here in Toronto. Ontario is just some woods and lakes, Quebec is the same and the closest beauty such as mountains is Alberta some 3000 miles away! HAD IT NOT BEEN for the proximity of the USA (to which I still need a stupid visa and cannot enter it freely) I would have had a geographical separation depression by now. NY and Virginia offer mountains, Florida offers beautiful beaches and warm weather.... Canada from the Toronto standpoint doesn't offer anything until you book some expensive tickets to Alberta or BC - forget the driving which we used to do a lot before. Impossible for such a great distance.

Last edited by aahtuk; Mar 27th 2005 at 4:32 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Strass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gaz&Paula
I am in a very lucky position when we get around to emigrating with my service pension.
At current rates, we will have the equivalent of just over CDN$100000 with CDN$22000 per annum pension (Approx CDN$1800 per month) which is UK index linked.

Personally, I believe this is a massive safety net. Although 22K isn't a massive amount, it will mean we don't starve. And if I get promoted before my time is up, I'm looking at a 30% increase on both figures.

Our main reasons for wishing to emigrate to Canada are the open spaces and slower way of life. Not to get the big house, big car etc.

And, after doing what I've been doing for the past 18 years or so, I think stacking shelves in a supermarket may suit me fine. (I did it at College anyway.)
You seem to be in the same position as my husband and I. We retired here two years ago and manage really well. Things are so much cheaper here compared to the UK. It's hard having to buy everything from scratch but exciting too, like being a newly wed. Best of luck with the move anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.