Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Come to Canada and starve!

Come to Canada and starve!

Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:56 am
Just Joined

lee jennings is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Come to Canada and starve!

Go for it Airseir!! My family and I arrived in Calgary at the end of September 2004 as an ordinary working class English family. I am a printer by trade and was a little apprehensive to say the least as to whether I would get a job in the printing trade or any job for that matter. We brought with us $170000 and with this we started our new lives. We met an English relocator at the airport and within minutes we started to think.. what the heck have we done? as it dawned on us that we had given up fairly secure jobs in the UK, a nice house and all the familiarity of home.... Best thing we EVER did!!!
I am not joking, the very next day we bought a house with 3 and a half bathrooms, solid wood floors and all the luxuries (something we could only have dreamt of in the UK) and by the end of the week had bought a 2002 Dodge Caravan, which compared to what we had in England is great. This was before I'd even began applying for a job. After 2 weeks I faxed my resume to around 20 printing companies and on the same day got three interviews.I am now working for a large print firm in downtown Calgary and this is my second printing job in 6 months! My wife absolutely loves it here and I have never seen her so happy and my 7 year old daughter complete with emerging Canadian accent loves it too. Yes we have had some adjusting to do, such as taking the Alberta driving test and dropping my daughter off to catch the yellow bus in -40c (with wind chill) but honestly most days when we see the blue skies or we take a trip to Banff and see the mountains we can not believe our luck. We took the chance to try something new and are now enjoying life. We can now afford to eat out regularly, go to the mall in the evening or the zoo and the TV here is great too. We live south of Calgary in Bridlewood and have a pub up the road and a shopping complex with restaurants, dentist, starbucks, liquor store and all the ammeneties you could want and the best thing of all our neighbours are all so friendly and every month we have a neighbourhood party!! Do not listen to all the negativity. If you are prepared to work hard and are determined enough you will succeed.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

eyeqew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Come to Canada and starve!

I came over in 1988. Whether I should have or not can be seen in another forum. Anyway. I semi had a job to go to , had met with the GM on a previous visit. My advice would be to approach companies in your field in Canada, explain the situation, and enquire as to whether there would be an opening for you when you come over. You will find something.
I arrived with $10,000. That went in about 4 months, but I had first and last to pay, apartment to furnish, dowm payment on car, etc. Wedding to help pay for, etc. I got a job about 6 weeks after landing.

Last edited by eyeqew; Mar 25th 2005 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm not Canadian, nor do I live in Canada but I am married to a Canadian and I have in-laws living on the outskirts of Montreal and my Canuck was an Angelo born in Montreal and speaks both French and English but has no use for the province of Quebec so his thoughts on the matter are slanted but I'm going to post a response to Spiff anyway.

I, too, have found the Quebecois to be intolerant but the Quebecois are not typical of all Canadians nor is the province of Quebec a true representation of all of Canada. You are in Montreal to attend the university. So what if your tutition is lower because of location. Is it not worth it to pay a bit more for your higher education and attend a university in another province, i.e. Ontario which is just under an hour's drive from Montreal. Two hours or so will get you to Ottawa and you can go to the university there and I'm sure you will be able to find affordable student housing (my husband's nephew did two years ago) and a part time job where French is not a requirement.

Canada has its immigration difficulties and yes, they are advertising for new immigrations in every major country but the populous seems to be standoffish in hiring immigrants. But they do hire them and they do stay and they do prosper and they do contribute to the growth and diversity of a large first world country.

If you are unhappy with your life in Montreal and/or Quebec and you are a citizen of Canada and not there on a student visa, then MOVE. Unhappy students, like unhappy employees, do not do well at their studies or work. So instead of moaning .... change your life to one you are happy with.

Originally Posted by Spiff
The problem is Canadians are so arrogant. Don't deny it. In any other country on earth they will happily accept qualifications from other countries. Goto the UK and they'll accept Canadian qualificiations no problems. But god forbid you hope they'll do the same here. I had a telemarketing job (about all that's available to a non-Canadian educated anglophone in Quebec) and can you believe one of the people I worked with had a BA and a MASTERS degree in Psychology. BUT she got her degrees while she was growing up in Indiam and guess what, they don't accept them here.
Oh, and then there's my mother who gave up on Canada because her British nursing qualifications counted for nothing over here and she had to retake her nursing exams or else only get 1/2 pay.
Despite the fact that EVERYONE I have met here tells me that in the UK our standards of qualification are higher than here no-one is ever willing to hire someone unless they were educated in Canada.
So I gave up applying to jobs where I had met the criteria and started applying for jobs that are just crap. And now I don't get them because I'm "over-qualified". MAKE UP YOUR MINDS. All I want is to work and contribute. I started off feeling very optimistic, but the more s**t I take the less I like this place and my attitude now has really shifted. I can't help now but look at Canadians as being xenophobic, controlling, unfair, fake, intolerant, and generally a bit boring. I didn't always feel like that, but after 1 year of being in and out of jobs like no tomorrow that's the way it is.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

markedel is an unknown quantity at this point

You could go to...Queen's a 2 hour drive away in lovely Kingston! And the administration loves to emphasize how it's better than say McGill, so why not?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Simon and Susanne will become famous soon enoughSimon and Susanne will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Voyager970]Well we must also be crazy
We are a family of five, my wife works for Abbey National as a Customer Services Mananger. I work for the Scottish Prison Service, we have both been in our jobs over 10 years now, we have our own home, pensions, and all the other things that most folks have.
Why are we quitting, better quality of life, get out of the rat race here, a better future for our kids, we hate the UK yobbish

I agree with you. I am in a similar position. But work for the UK Prison service (13 years). I watch the news in canada and keep tabs on the current affairs to compare the two countries. I want a decent future for my family, especially my two children. I would rather have to meet a strict criteria and have to work very hard to get a job and know my family have a better future than sit and do nothing but moan about it, having a job, any job as long as it pays the bills in a good country with a better future is better than a good job in a failing country with failing prospects (in my humble opinion). We are going on a fact finding mission next April, I want to do my homework and not go into this blind. I am hoping it helps that I have a cousin in Pitt Meadows BC and a family friend in Nanaimo. We hope to move to BC. We are looking to hopefully apply next year. I will have my Bsc degree in IT and three years experience as ICT manager. From what I have read so far the more money you can take over the better. I wish you all the luck and know if you are as determined as us you will make it work.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:22 pm
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Spiff
...I can't help now but look at Canadians as being xenophobic, controlling, unfair, fake, intolerant, and generally a bit boring. I didn't always feel like that, but after 1 year of being in and out of jobs like no tomorrow that's the way it is.
Phewf!

I'm going to have to stop reading these posts or else emigrate.

As a Canadian who grew up rural poor and who has worked very hard all her life to qualify/requalify and then qualify in something else IN MY OWN COUNTRY, I find the sweeping generalizations and whinging a wee bit hard to take. I know, this isn't a forum for me, but it is for my soon-to-immigrate (fingers crossed) partner. If I thought for a minute he would feel .001 % like this...well...

I don't usually give unsolicited advice, but go to a Cabane à sucre (sugar bush) this weekend, eat fattening foods slathered in maple syrup which is currently being brewed fresh from the trees, and think long and hard about who/what is really the problem here.

Sorry if this gives offence, but I couldn't keep quiet on this one,

whm
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Simon and Susanne will become famous soon enoughSimon and Susanne will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by whm
Phewf!

I'm going to have to stop reading these posts or else emigrate.

As a Canadian who grew up rural poor and who has worked very hard all her life to qualify/requalify and then qualify in something else IN MY OWN COUNTRY, I find the sweeping generalizations and whinging a wee bit hard to take. I know, this isn't a forum for me, but it is for my soon-to-immigrate (fingers crossed) partner. If I thought for a minute he would feel .001 % like this...well...

I don't usually give unsolicited advice, but go to a Cabane à sucre (sugar bush) this weekend, eat fattening foods slathered in maple syrup which is currently being brewed fresh from the trees, and think long and hard about who/what is really the problem here.

Sorry if this gives offence, but I couldn't keep quiet on this one,

whm
I must agree that this entire thread has just been quite off putting as when I have talked to people about Canada and my family out in BC they say how great it is. I do not know any country where you can move to, where you can go and walk straight into a top job before everyone else and live like a king without having to put a huge amount of effort in and having the right qualifications to boot. Canada looks and sounds an amazing place but it still has issues like every other country. I for one think that it will be a better, more prosperous country for my family and I, hard work is part of the times and is well worth the effort for a better way of life with people who do care about the important things in life. (Just my humble opinion). There is obviously something about Canada or people would not be on this forum or even be considering to move over to it.

Simon

Last edited by Simon and Susanne; Mar 26th 2005 at 5:11 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

bizzymum3 is an unknown quantity at this point

How is the job market for nurses?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough
Wink Re: Come to Canada and starve!

Originally Posted by seacreature
Well I wouldn't advise it.
In hindsight, we would've stayed in the UK if we'd known how hard it would be for me to find a job and I didn't even own my own house!
It must be truly appalling for people who sell their homes in the UK and move over here. For many it must be a case of move back or literally starve.
i think you are all forgetting how bloody hard things are here in the uk, i cant even buy a family home,or even a two bed terrace or even a flat i pay close to a £1000 a mth for rent utilities/council tax from what i know about canada especially the GTA i could rent some where decent for half that.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

nickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the roughnickybum is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Simon and Susanne
I must agree that this entire thread has just been quite off putting as when I have talked to people about Canada and my family out in BC they say how great it is. I do not know any country where you can move to, where you can go and walk straight into a top job before everyone else and live like a king without having to put a huge amount of effort in and having the right qualifications to boot. Canada looks and sounds an amazing place but it still has issues like every other country. I for one think that it will be a better, more prosperous country for my family and I, hard work is part of the times and is well worth the effort for a better way of life with people who do care about the important things in life. (Just my humble opinion). There is obviously something about Canada or people would not be on this forum or even be considering to move over to it.

Simon
here here, everything you wrote is so true, well said!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:11 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I must agree that this entire thread has just been quite off putting as when I have talked to people about Canada and my family out in BC they say how great it is. I do not know any country where you can move to, where you can go and walk straight into a top job before everyone else and live like a king without having to put a huge amount of effort in and having the right qualifications to boot.
Simon

Where is this? Lol...dream on ...if you are planning to move to BC you are in for one nasty shock. Your family will, I guess have been here a while and will have jobs. Maybe that is likely why things are "great" for them. Still, live your dreams, you'll never know until you try. Just make sure you keep a financial safety net. You are going to need it.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:13 pm
Glaswegian

I do not know any country where you can move to, where you can go and walk straight into a top job before everyone else and live like a king without having to put a huge amount of effort in and having the right qualifications to boot.

Simon
Thats exactly the point - many new immigrants think they will walk straight into the "same" job as they had back in the UK. In reality its quite unlikely and those realising this in advance are in with a better chance of success. However at the opposite end of the scale are those who moved from professional jobs and think they will be "completely happy" on a minimum wage job as they will not have a mortgage - that too is possible but unlikely. See the earlier posts about pensions, education costs etc.

It does no harm to be aware of the difficulties others faced when planning your own move.

Just so there is no doubt - we love it in Calgary and have no plans to go back to the UK.

Mrs G

Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Thats exactly the point - many new immigrants think they will walk straight into the "same" job as they had back in the UK. In reality its quite unlikely and those realising this in advance are in with a better chance of success. However at the opposite end of the scale are those who moved from professional jobs and think they will be "completely happy" on a minimum wage job as they will not have a mortgage - that too is possible but unlikely. See the earlier posts about pensions, education costs etc.

It does no harm to be aware of the difficulties others faced when planning your own move.

Just so there is no doubt - we love it in Calgary and have no plans to go back to the UK.

Mrs G
Maybe this also applies to just moving within the UK especially if it's done on spec. Adjustments and challenges can be expected for any move so they're not just specific to Canada.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Maybe this also applies to just moving within the UK especially if it's done on spec. Adjustments and challenges can be expected for any move so they're not just specific to Canada.

Many people, if they lost their jobs in the UK, would struggle to get something similar. This applies especially to those in middle management roles without professional qualifications. It won't be any easier in Canada.

Jeremy
Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

I for one think that it will be a better, more prosperous country for my family and I.
Simon
Well obviously you, like most folk in the UK seem to know better than us
Brits already out here!
There is a lot about Canada that is better than the UK don't get me wrong... i.e not as violent, fewer racists, more tolerant, less anti-social behavior, slower pace of life. These of course are big plus points.
However if you imagine you'll be financially better off you're likely in for a serious shock. Unless you win the lotto or bring a vast amount of money, it's probable that you'll be much worse off financially. Work here is harder to come by, your experience and qualifications may not be recognised and the pay is less.
Economic reasons should certainly NOT be a reason for coming to Canada.

Last edited by seacreature; Mar 27th 2005 at 4:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.