Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Come to Canada and starve!

Wikiposts

Come to Canada and starve!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:56 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come to Canada and starve!

Originally Posted by seacreature
I'm getting rather tired of hearing this off certain members.
I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I'm a very hard worker and have a great personality. Genuinely I cannot understand WHY I cannot get a job here. Until I came to Canada I was a very optimistic, upbeat person. I imagined myself to be the most employable person on earth as I can apply myself to most things. Work came to me so easily in the UK.
All the pessimism is a result of the ridiculous 'Canadian Experience' phenomonan I keep hearing every single time I go asking around for work or ring an agency. I don't have a Canadian job reference as I've never worked here, seemingly that renders me unemployable. I will do ANYTHING to get *****ing experience, I've even badgered the bloody staff at Sears and The Bay and offered to work for free for a trial period just to see if they like me or not. Seriously what do you have to do??! I will work for ***** all just to get pissing Canadian experience! Now tell me it's my 'bad attitude' that's the problem? Is it bollocks!
So stop all the personal comments, it's bang out of order!
PM me a cut and paste of the body of your resume. I know I am on this end of the country, but I learned the hard way how to get jobs here. Maybe I can help - even if I just change the language on your resume. It can't hurt to try now can it?

Lets all quit with the sniping at each other eh? My goodness, that was far too Canadian. Pass the Guinness. Oh **** I can't drink at the mo....
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spiff
The problem is Canadians are so arrogant. Don't deny it. In any other country on earth they will happily accept qualifications from other countries.
Not necessarily.

Goto the UK and they'll accept Canadian qualificiations no problems.
It depends. According to a previous thread, Canadian dentistry qualifications are not accepted automatically. Canadian accountants may be accepted - depends on the designation and whether they want to be public practitioners or not. Canadian engineers - if they have a Washington/Sydney Accord accredited degree - probably yes, otherwise it may be a challenge. And so on.

But god forbid you hope they'll do the same here. I had a telemarketing job (about all that's available to a non-Canadian educated anglophone in Quebec)
I thought French was a requirement for most jobs in Quebec, leaving aside some positions in international companies based there.

and can you believe one of the people I worked with had a BA and a MASTERS degree in Psychology. BUT she got her degrees while she was growing up in Indiam and guess what, they don't accept them here.
Most Western countries do not accept Indian qualifications at face value - Australian official studies show that only the top universities on the subcontinent are in line with the average of the Western world.

Jeremy
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:55 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairystar
we must be crazy too then
we have 3 kids a nice home both have well paid jobs and we are giving it all up to come to canada..
we pray we will get jobs and are prepared to retrain and start from the bottom the company my hubby works for now is also based worldwide so he will try for them when and if we land.
we are after a better life i feel no ties to england i dislike the country and dont wish my kids to grow up here, we want a bigger country more opportunities for them ,we will be able to own a much bigger home than we have now with no mortgage and land which will help us achieve a less stressful life, my husband has always wanted to move to canada it has been his dream but we are no way deluded to think it wont be hard and we will have to take any jobs which come our way,he is even thinking of trying to get an eprentiship (can t spell this) and change his carreer.
we should have $220000 cnaadian dollars to come with so hopefully that will also give us a year to find something.
my dads cousin lives in ontario so hopefully we will meet up with her .
i would just hate to be still in the uk 10 yrs from now dreaming about what could of been in our monotinous dreary life we have now.
Well we must also be crazy
We are a family of five, my wife works for Abbey National as a Customer Services Mananger. I work for the Scottish Prison Service, we have both been in our jobs over 10 years now, we have our own home, pensions, and all the other things that most folks have.
Why are we quitting, better quality of life, get out of the rat race here, a better future for our kids, we hate the UK yobbish, I'm going to screw the DSS for every penny I can get, and hey I can get £30k on benefits.

Did any of you see the family in the newspapers that are claiming £46k per year on DSS benefits. She has 7 kids and gets everthing paid for her, gas, electric, council tax, housing benefit, she also gets incapacity benefit, invalidity benefit for a few of her kids. It all amounts to her getting £46K in benefits. She has a new car, a tv, playstations galore, in everyone of her 6 bedrooms. And to cap it all she was taking her local council to court as they would not give her a bigger house. The bloody git already had two semi's knocked into one. She was wanting the council to build her a new house with enough bedrooms for all of her kids, AND WAIT FOR IT SHE WAS PREGNANT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I know why I want out of this country !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway enough of my rant.
Yes we are selling up, lock stock and two smoking barrels
I had a valuer out this morn to value my house. The git charged me £176.25 for a valuation, guess what he arrived at 10.05am and was out of my house for 10.25am, 20 bloomin minutes, now I was ripped off, but it had to be done as I need the valuation to go with my application to show proof of funds.

Anyway enough from me
ROLL ON CANADA IN JULY FOR NEARLY 4 WEEKS HOLIDAY

EDDIE from a very sunny Glasgow
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not necessarily.

It depends. According to a previous thread, Canadian dentistry qualifications are not accepted automatically.
It would seem like there's a desparate need for good dentists in the UK. Especially after looking at Austin Powers.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:12 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Spiff,

I can't help notice that you use Canadians in a very generic sense. I also see from an earlier posting that you are in Quebec. I am not yet in Canada so please excuse my ingnorance, but from what I have heard the Quebec Canadian's do not neccesarily reflect all Canadians. Could it be that UK Qualifications do not export to Quebec as well as they do in other areas of Canada? do you find that the French Canadians have a similar level of respect to the British as the European French do?

I would be interested in your reply as well as other people.

Originally Posted by Spiff
The problem is Canadians are so arrogant. Don't deny it. In any other country on earth they will happily accept qualifications from other countries. Goto the UK and they'll accept Canadian qualificiations no problems. But god forbid you hope they'll do the same here. I had a telemarketing job (about all that's available to a non-Canadian educated anglophone in Quebec) and can you believe one of the people I worked with had a BA and a MASTERS degree in Psychology. BUT she got her degrees while she was growing up in Indiam and guess what, they don't accept them here.
Oh, and then there's my mother who gave up on Canada because her British nursing qualifications counted for nothing over here and she had to retake her nursing exams or else only get 1/2 pay.
Despite the fact that EVERYONE I have met here tells me that in the UK our standards of qualification are higher than here no-one is ever willing to hire someone unless they were educated in Canada.
So I gave up applying to jobs where I had met the criteria and started applying for jobs that are just crap. And now I don't get them because I'm "over-qualified". MAKE UP YOUR MINDS. All I want is to work and contribute. I started off feeling very optimistic, but the more s**t I take the less I like this place and my attitude now has really shifted. I can't help now but look at Canadians as being xenophobic, controlling, unfair, fake, intolerant, and generally a bit boring. I didn't always feel like that, but after 1 year of being in and out of jobs like no tomorrow that's the way it is.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Airseir]Spiff,
do you find that the French Canadians have a similar level of respect to the British as the European French do?
QUOTE]
In my experience ....without a doubt!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Hi there,

We did pretty much the same thing too. Sold up and moved to Canada, had a single interview lined up - been a hard slog but we're making a go of it and succeeding.

People have different approaches to life (and different tolerances for risk) so to say that people are mad for moving their family (Wife and 2 kids in my case), selling their house in the UK, giving up their job etc.... lacks understanding.

Good luck to everyone who makes the move - however you do it.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Most insane thing I ever did ... moved myself and my familty to Canada ... no job to go to ... but it did eventually work out.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there
i have just set up a thread for inspirational stories. I hope that some of them can help you to make it through. I understand your reasoning to take the chance as my aunt from England did the exact same thing. I (on the other hand) was silly enough to take the first job that came along and i have had many issues with my possition. I came here under a government programe and it has been hell. Exploited etc. But i guess i should be thankful!
Love is a strange thing because at the end of the day our hearts do lead us to deeper water. I wanted to be here near my fiance and i didn't think twice. I just knew i wanted to be here and once i made up my mind i went for it.

Many others have been where you are and together in this forum i have found the strength to do my time. I know the future is brighter but i am under a cloud right now.
Chin up and all the best.

I'm lucky in that I have a Canadian partner who works and can support me, however I was wondering....
What do other immigrants do when they can't even land a survival job (as in my position?)
Is this the reason so many people return to the UK?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:48 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I know I have spoken to you before many moons ago it seems , but we went over for 1 week, bought land on second day, spoke to builder on third flew home on 7th, and did not return again until 7 months later. Only been to Canada once before!!!!
Mad yes, insane yes! Would we do it again , oh yes and planning next project!
We knew straight away we wanted to be vancouver island. Gut feeling. Still have yet to get PR either .

What we do know is that if you are in your 20's 30's and have the minimum amount of funds immigration require, to get establised, anyone would be off their rocker to emigrate with family and no job. How an earth can a family of three or four expect to rent, let along buy or even get a mortgae with just a few thousand pound, which is what they ask for. If that seems a lot to most people then Canada will be tough.

There are many people that do have a heafty chunk of equity in property that will allow them to be mortgage free, they may be slightly older too and less fussy as to what job or money they want or need to have a comforable life, material things are not so important, and maybe kids are older and a bit more independent. This makes a huge difference as to how you will get on out there.

Canda is huge and people talk as if every town and city is the same and it is not.

I find people who keep referring to a life flippin' burgers as being awful. Well good old Ronald MacDonald founder is rolling in it I would have thought.
Same with working in retail. In Uk, Mr Sainsbury and family are bloody laughing all the way up the rich list. What about Wallmart, someone started all of these from nothing. Many millionaires and billionaires came from humble backgrounds, worked damned hard to become financially well off.
Marks and Spencers started as market stall!!

I too have done loads of jobs some for money some for fun and experience.
Some of the happiest times came from simple jobs.
If I haven't had a job or felt like a change, I put an advert in a paper advertising my skills . I have had two fantastic jobs this way.
It seems to me the "typical whinging pom" exists in many who find Canadian life or employment not to their liking. ( not you Mr potato head....!)
It is blindingly obvious that nothing in Canada is going to come landing on a plate. Try it, like it, then stay. If not get out. Simple. Put it down to experience, at least either way you wil not go through life saying "If only"

If people had stayed in England they would still be whinging saying "Oh I wonder what might have been if we had gone to Canada?"
It is the English pastime, we excell at it. The Scots even more so, My mother could win a gold medal for it, and she is one, and running in my blood I fear!
As soon as people who did not like Canada return to England they will soon find something else to moan about. Probaby the fact they walked out on a perfectly well paid job that gave then a good standard of living, they can't get another mortgage because house prices are so dear, and they cannot find another job to get one in the first place!
But they can at least still moan about it, thats free and does come to them on a plate!

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Take a tip ... don't rush into buying a house until you're sure you know where you want live ... by that I don't mean you'll be planning to head back the UK with your tail between your legs ... Canada is a big place and you may have to move around to find the right opportunities and living environment
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Spiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Airseir
Spiff,

I can't help notice that you use Canadians in a very generic sense. I also see from an earlier posting that you are in Quebec. I am not yet in Canada so please excuse my ingnorance, but from what I have heard the Quebec Canadian's do not neccesarily reflect all Canadians. Could it be that UK Qualifications do not export to Quebec as well as they do in other areas of Canada? do you find that the French Canadians have a similar level of respect to the British as the European French do?

I would be interested in your reply as well as other people.
I find that the Quebecois don't have nearly as negative a stereotype of Brits as the French do, but when I goto France I usually find the people much more hospitable than the Quebecois (NOT Canadians. If there's one thing that can be said about the English-speaking Canadians it's that they're hospitable).
Maybe you're right and the only reason they kick up a fuss about my qualifications is because it's Quebec. After all, the other day one of the leaders of the Parti Quebecois said that English shouldn't be taught from 1st Grade incase it leads to the extinction of French!! And then he used the UK as an example of how second languages should be taught (so obviously he isn't a big fan of peaople having second languages). So i detract my comments that I did apply to all Canadians, that is untrue, I was just venting some steam. The xenophobes are the Quebecois, and the further east one goes the worse it gets.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
if you are completely serious about doing any work try Chapters/Indigo. they are an absolutely terrible company to work for but they go through staff like noones business and if you pester them enough they will start you with little hours and if you turn out to be functional you can easily get extra hours. i worked for them for my first 3months here.....
my husband also had to work for convergys for a couple of months(a horrid call centre) and he got that having 0 customer service experience. quite funny really.i think they have centres all over the place. I hear Rogers/bell canada need call centre agents and if you get an interview with them you really have to push your love for sales and service.

have you tried Labour Ready?it can seem degrading but it helps to look at the funny side of things.
landscaping?
my husband made up a resume with made up labouring jobs on it so that they wouldn't think he was just looking for temporary work. He landed a landscaping job telling them that since he was new to canada he wanted to live and work in the outdoors.......it worked for him.
but just make sure you have someone in the uk to vouch for you as they really do seem to check up on your references here

hope you can get even the shittiest job in Canada cause it has always been my experience that once you land a job it makes it much easier to find another one.........

hope this helps
I must be going seriously wrong somewhere because I've pestered Indigo as well. They claimed not to be hiring.
I'm praying that something by chance will appear through doing voluntary work. Goodness knows nothing else I seem to do works.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gooding
I know I have spoken to you before many moons ago it seems , but we went over for 1 week, bought land on second day, spoke to builder on third flew home on 7th, and did not return again until 7 months later. Only been to Canada once before!!!!
Mad yes, insane yes! Would we do it again , oh yes and planning next project!
We knew straight away we wanted to be vancouver island. Gut feeling. Still have yet to get PR either .

What we do know is that if you are in your 20's 30's and have the minimum amount of funds immigration require, to get establised, anyone would be off their rocker to emigrate with family and no job. How an earth can a family of three or four expect to rent, let along buy or even get a mortgae with just a few thousand pound, which is what they ask for. If that seems a lot to most people then Canada will be tough.

There are many people that do have a heafty chunk of equity in property that will allow them to be mortgage free, they may be slightly older too and less fussy as to what job or money they want or need to have a comforable life, material things are not so important, and maybe kids are older and a bit more independent. This makes a huge difference as to how you will get on out there.

Canda is huge and people talk as if every town and city is the same and it is not.

I find people who keep referring to a life flippin' burgers as being awful. Well good old Ronald MacDonald founder is rolling in it I would have thought.
Same with working in retail. In Uk, Mr Sainsbury and family are bloody laughing all the way up the rich list. What about Wallmart, someone started all of these from nothing. Many millionaires and billionaires came from humble backgrounds, worked damned hard to become financially well off.
Marks and Spencers started as market stall!!

I too have done loads of jobs some for money some for fun and experience.
Some of the happiest times came from simple jobs.
If I haven't had a job or felt like a change, I put an advert in a paper advertising my skills . I have had two fantastic jobs this way.
It seems to me the "typical whinging pom" exists in many who find Canadian life or employment not to their liking. ( not you Mr potato head....!)
It is blindingly obvious that nothing in Canada is going to come landing on a plate. Try it, like it, then stay. If not get out. Simple. Put it down to experience, at least either way you wil not go through life saying "If only"

If people had stayed in England they would still be whinging saying "Oh I wonder what might have been if we had gone to Canada?"
It is the English pastime, we excell at it. The Scots even more so, My mother could win a gold medal for it, and she is one, and running in my blood I fear!
As soon as people who did not like Canada return to England they will soon find something else to moan about. Probaby the fact they walked out on a perfectly well paid job that gave then a good standard of living, they can't get another mortgage because house prices are so dear, and they cannot find another job to get one in the first place!
But they can at least still moan about it, thats free and does come to them on a plate!
I refuse to take work in fast food, simply because I hate the stuff at the best of times. I'm hardly going to enjoy working in such a place day in day out if I can't even stand sitting in a MacDonalds for 5 minutes.
I'd prefer to sweep roads quite frankly.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 12:03 pm
Glaswegian

The minimum wage in Alberta is $5.90 - and yes there are places paying that! The average "low pay" seems to be in the region of $7/hour.

"Burger flipping" is used as a generic term for any low paying job. While they may be acceptable in the short term they are not going to pay the mortgage, enable you to save for a pension or to save for your childrens education.

$5.90/hour here works out to be $11,800/year - you will not live a high life on that.

Mrs G

Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky in that I have a Canadian partner who works and can support me, however I was wondering....
What do other immigrants do when they can't even land a survival job (as in my position?)
Is this the reason so many people return to the UK?

Seacreature, I feel with you on everything you say. Are you here by yourself? Or with a spouse or something? Are you east or west of Toronto?
Old Mar 24th 2005, 6:31 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by gooding
Try it, like it, then stay. If not get out.
It's late, I've had a long week of doing a job that I enjoy and I'm tired ... you quoted my post, but then as far as I can tell, didn't really explaing why ... but like I said, it's late and my brain is rather tired.

I have just quoted a snippet of your post ... I assume we agree ... if you like Canada, then stay, if not, go home ... my only additional suggestion would be that unless you are 100% commited to staying (come what may), keep a financial parachute handy and don't sink all your dosh into Canadian property, irrespective of the composition of your household.

As for the founders of fast food chains and discount stores ... yes, they did make a fortune, but do you really think they worked on the shop floor for very long themselves?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.