Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Collecting UK paperwork for Car insurance (Ontario)

Collecting UK paperwork for Car insurance (Ontario)

Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Collecting UK paperwork for Car insurance (Ontario)

When is the best time to start? 1 month before we move? Looks like I need to have DVLA driving history extract, MIB insurance history and Insurance letters from every company I had insurance with. I could trace insurance details back to 6 years. My husband and I have 1 claim each 6 years ago. Is it worth going beyond that?

Is there anything else we will need to help reduce auto insurance premiums? Thank you!
Old Feb 11th 2020, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Collecting UK paperwork for Car insurance (Ontario)

Originally Posted by Winterdiva View Post
When is the best time to start? 1 month before we move?
Now, and say 2 weeks before you ,ove for your current insurance company.

Looks like I need to have DVLA driving history extract,
In practice, they have never asked for this in Ontario for licence conversion as you UK photo licence has tge date you started driving.

MIB insurance history and Insurance letters from every company I had insurance with. I could trace insurance details back to 6 years.
Yes, if you want to try to get Canadian insurers to recognise your claims history. Many do not even with all tge documents and even if they do, they are not always cheaper than a company that does not recognise your history.

My husband and I have 1 claim each 6 years ago. Is it worth going beyond that?
No

Is there anything else we will need to help reduce auto insurance premiums?
Yes, shop around and use a broker. Not the same as the UK. Online not necessarily a good deal, my broker car insurance is cheaper than any online outfit. Expect to pay a LOT more regardless of what you do compared with UK.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 12th 2020, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
Now, and say 2 weeks before you ,ove for your current insurance company.
In practice, they have never asked for this in Ontario for licence conversion as you UK photo licence has tge date you started driving.
Will I need it for other provinces? We'll move wherever we find work. So, is it worth having it?
Also, would an online copy do or do I have to request one by post?
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
Old Feb 12th 2020, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
Yes, if you want to try to get Canadian insurers to recognise your claims history. Many do not even with all tge documents and even if they do, they are not always cheaper than a company that does not recognise your history.
What will I need from MIB ? Insurance History or Claims history or both?
Old Feb 12th 2020, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I have 1 claim each 6 years ago. Is it worth going beyond that?
No. Five years with other companies is about as much as insurers will consider. Ten years with one company might get a "loyalty discount" or similar.