British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Collecting shipped goods from Vancouver airport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/collecting-shipped-goods-vancouver-airport-805178/)

benlast Aug 6th 2013 3:03 am

Collecting shipped goods from Vancouver airport

Hi all

Does anyone have experience of collecting shipped goods from Vancouver airport? These would be "goods to follow". I'm currently trying to work out whether it's worth paying for them to be shipped to an address in Vancouver or whether it's feasible (or compulsory) for me to go out to the airport and collect them.

It's only a few boxes, so I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Cheers
b

Former Lancastrian Aug 6th 2013 3:36 am

Re: Collecting shipped goods from Vancouver airport

Originally Posted by benlast (Post 10837066)
Hi all

Does anyone have experience of collecting shipped goods from Vancouver airport? These would be "goods to follow". I'm currently trying to work out whether it's worth paying for them to be shipped to an address in Vancouver or whether it's feasible (or compulsory) for me to go out to the airport and collect them.

It's only a few boxes, so I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.

Cheers
b

How are the goods being shipped? Fedex UPS DHL or other company.
More details required as some goods will go into a warehouse and won't be stored at the airport per se. The carrier should be able to tell you where to go and clear the goods or they might have a broker clear them on your behalf and they will be directly delivered to your home address.

benlast Aug 6th 2013 3:53 am

Hi

Thanks for the response. It's some "other company" (I'm looking for quotes at the moment). They all describe it as shipping "airport to airport". The big shipping companies can indeed provide a broker who will clear the goods and deliver them, but they charge a lot, and I'm only shipping a small amount of stuff. Think of it more as excess baggage, not moving a house.

Cheers
b

Tramps_mate Aug 6th 2013 9:01 am

Gonna be some drive to Vancouver from Perth!!

sdo1982 Aug 6th 2013 9:23 am

Dead easy, normally you have to go and pick the paperwork up from the shipping company it has arrived with, then pop to the customs office on Miller road (small office in a block of shipping companies) In the office, grab a number and wait to be called, get the paperwork stamped, return the stamped paperwork to the shipping company for them to release your goods to you.
You will need your Passport and immigration docs (don't forget like i did the 2nd time!)

Customs people were really helpful, as were the guys at Air Canada cargo, they helped me load my U-haul rental.

cllb2 Aug 8th 2013 12:51 am

As above. Once you have bad it approved at customs, you can pick your stuff up. I just hired a van from budget but it depends how much you have. The budget smallest vans are actually rather large. We had seven large boxes and still had so much space for at least double that. The warehouse with your goods will more likely than not be somewhere along the main road, or the offshoots of that road, along which the customs office is located.

benlast Aug 8th 2013 1:15 am

Thanks all; sounds like it's easy enough to do, plus I'm staying with friends who are locals and have a decent-sized car :)

januarymix Aug 9th 2013 6:00 am

Friends with cars rock ;)