British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Collecting our Pooch in Pearson Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/collecting-our-pooch-pearson-toronto-889590/)

Farmboy1892 Jan 4th 2017 7:50 pm

Collecting our Pooch in Pearson Toronto

Good Evening Folks:

We are getting very close now to take -off for our new life in Canada.
Today I had it confirmed that our dog will be travelling on the same flight as us. There is a whole other story to this which is unbelievable (our dog is 30kg, the maximum weight for travel is 32kg at the airlines fee which was quite reasonable which I said great however this weight had to include the IATA crate she was travelling in :(
Fast forward we now are going through a freight forwarder and have managed to get an much better than original quote as we are supplying our own cage.

My question is; How onerous a task is it to collect our dog on the other side.
obviously we will have our bags to collect and I will have to go through Immigration with my paperwork to process my work permit. We are staying in a hotel close to the airport overnight before being collected the next morning by the company that i will be employed with. with my Wife and three kids in tow I am afraid that i am going to have to run all around the airport to get paperwork completed before collecting our dog at the Swiss port cargo terminal.
If any of you guys have had experience of this I would love to hear your stories!! :fingerscrossed:
Kind Regards

Farmboy

HGerchikov Jan 5th 2017 2:23 pm

Re: Collecting our Pooch in Pearson Toronto

A lot of the first few weeks here seems to be running around after paperwork so you may as well get used to it early. It's hard to say how stressful your day will be, I have been through Pearson when it has been fairly empty and just strolled through customs, last time I flew back (November) it was a complete zoo with multiple switchback lines. I suspect the folks in the non Canadian line up were there for hours and that before you even get to the immigration section to get your paperwork. If I was you I would plan for a nightmare and if you hit a quiet time it's a bonus. It's one day out of your life and in the general scheme of things it's not that big a deal. Just keep thinking that. Good luck, hope kids and dog enjoy their flight.

lifeisajourney Jan 6th 2017 12:23 am

It could be a nightmare but such is life when you move half way around the world with kids and pets in tow! When we moved over 9 years ago with our two cats I remember driving all over the airport cargo area trying to find where they were. There certainly weren't any helpful signs such as "pick up your pet from here". In the end we parked up at what looked like an office building in the hopes of finding someone to direct us. It turned out it was the animal cargo processing and pick up area. You'll definitely need a car or a very accomodating taxi driver. I don't believe you can reach the cargo area from the passengar arrivals terminal without a vehicle. Good luck!

Siouxie Jan 6th 2017 4:45 am

Transporting Animals

"If you’re travelling with an animal, transporting an animal via cargo, or receiving an animal from a foreign country, please contact the airline and/or freight forwarder of your choice located at either the Cargo West Facilities or Cargo Area 5".

You can see a map of the terminal and cargo areas here: https://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...ices/Cargo.jpg

https://www.torontopearson.com/Cargo_Services.aspx#

The cargo areas are not accessible from the terminals, if I recall correctly. My son airfreighted some boxes and we had to drive to the cargo terminal, then to the customs office to pay fees and get paperwork stamped, then back to the cargo again for collection. I don't know if this is what is required for a pet - perhaps give your freight forwarder a call and double check!

Edited as I just saw it's the swissport cargo terminal

Swissport Cargo Services (Toronto)
6500 Silver Dart Drive, Core G Mississauga (Ontario) L5P1A2 < map

http://www.aircargoportail.com/en/dealers/9

:)

Farmboy1892 Jan 9th 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for your response Everyone!!
I guess I will just have to roll with it and see how everything pans out!!
I want to try and minimize hassle and am trying to get a road map in front of me before I go so that its doesnt end up in a stressful nightmare.

Siouxie: You are absolutely correct I have to collect from Swissport but when I rang them the other day I got a guy who was practically dead from the hairline down!!!
very unhelpful.
I am thinking that when I progress through immigration to get my work permit sorted out that I will put my Wife, 3 kids and suitcases onto the hotel shuttle bus and then try to sort the dog out myself. This will be after 4.30pm and Idont want them hanging around whilst I try to collect our dog!!

DandNHill Jan 10th 2017 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892 (Post 12146959)
Thanks for your response Everyone!!
I guess I will just have to roll with it and see how everything pans out!!
I want to try and minimize hassle and am trying to get a road map in front of me before I go so that its doesnt end up in a stressful nightmare.

Siouxie: You are absolutely correct I have to collect from Swissport but when I rang them the other day I got a guy who was practically dead from the hairline down!!!
very unhelpful.
I am thinking that when I progress through immigration to get my work permit sorted out that I will put my Wife, 3 kids and suitcases onto the hotel shuttle bus and then try to sort the dog out myself. This will be after 4.30pm and Idont want them hanging around whilst I try to collect our dog!!

What day are you flying? Hubby works at Pearson so might be able to help?

Farmboy1892 Jan 10th 2017 8:53 am

Hi DandN;

We arrive in Pearson at about 4.30pm on Tuesday 17th. I expect that once we have luggage collected and been through the immigration process it will take a little while.
Many thanks for reaching out.

Thanks

Farmboy

DandNHill Jan 10th 2017 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892 (Post 12147707)
Hi DandN;

We arrive in Pearson at about 4.30pm on Tuesday 17th. I expect that once we have luggage collected and been through the immigration process it will take a little while.

Thanks

Farmboy

I'll PM you...

Siouxie Jan 10th 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892 (Post 12147707)
Hi DandN;

Thanks

Farmboy

Have you checked what time they remain open til? Just a thought, you don't want your pooch stuck there overnight!

Might be as well to send them an email to double check..
Swissport International Ltd. - Network

bats Jan 12th 2017 4:07 am

Won't the whole family have to go through immigration and get the appropriate visa each?