Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...

Wikiposts

Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:16 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...

So winter has only just started and we've not had -30 or -40 with the wind chill yet here in NB this winter but so far so good. I've got to say we were expecting the weather to be torture - some neighbours become depressed (seriously, they turn into grumps and know how many days it is until spring!!). I don't find down to -20 cold unless its windy. The wind makes a huge difference and my daughter doesn't like that much.

So far we've had quite a few -20 days, colder with wind chill and in the last 10 days about 3ft of snow but nothing bad at all. The only things I have noticed are:

1...Batteries seem to give up in really cold temperatures. I use a torch to walk my dogs at night but they gradually fade and go out within a couple of minutes of being outside. Once the torch is inside it works fine again

2...4wd vehicles with snow tyres (X Ice - someone told me they were best) still slide so GO SLOW

3...Lorries - huge ones, still seem to tank along at 100+ even when there is a couple of inches of snow on the road and its coming down heavily - pretty scary when they come up fast behind you and you cant even see the lane markings so you dont know if you're over enough for them to pass

4...Its amazing how much wood you go through quickly with a wood burning stove but the heat they give off is great

5...I've got a 4wd ATV with plough for clearing snow. Great if there is less than 30cm. Over that forget it, you need a blower or a neighbour with a tractor and a 6ft wide one (what a star, he does it without us even asking)

6...For anyone who is looking to move here and hasn't bought a house yet forget a house that has garage doors which open outwards. Digging the snow to be able to open the doors will drive you crazy. A neighbour had his for one winter then switched to an up and over.

7...Dont touch metal when its really cold - yes thicky here did it today and it hurts when you rip your stuck hand free!

All in all we're still loving it. The snow and cold is actually nice, proper seasons, ok maybe there isn't much of a spring but there is certainly a cracking summer, fall and winter.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...

Originally Posted by chinnybloke

7...Dont touch metal when its really cold - yes thicky here did it today and it hurts when you rip your stuck hand free!

Have you stuck your tongue to a metal post yet? They tell me that everyone does it ..... once!

Last year in Calgary February was the coldest month, with temps in the minus 20's and snow for what seemed like weeks!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:22 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Have you stuck your tongue to a metal post yet? They tell me that everyone does it ..... once!

Last year in Calgary February was the coldest month, with temps in the minus 20's and snow for what seemed like weeks!
The metal handle with no gloves was bad enough! Everyone here is saying Feb is the killer. Bring it on
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:24 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

The metal handle with no gloves was bad enough! Everyone here is saying Feb is the killer. Bring it on
Having spent last winter here I think the big moan may be about the length of the cold weather and if there is a lot of snow or not.

For me, coming from the UK, I feel that the lovely summer and Fall more than make up for it.

Here are some photos I took April 2007 (Easter Sunday).
Attached Thumbnails Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...-img_1931.jpg   Coldish weather, snow, nothing like we expected...-img_1932.jpg  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Know what you mean about the cold - I really don't mind it, at least you can wrap up - but as you say it's the wind chill that kills me!

I think one of the great benefits when it's cold is that it's not DAMP, DREARY & GREY!!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, a torch in Canada is something with a flame on the top of it!! A flashlight is the thing with batteries that don't work when its cold!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:59 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Actually, a torch in Canada is something with a flame on the top of it!! A flashlight is the thing with batteries that don't work when its cold!
A friend of mine (expat Scot) mentioned to her workmates over here that she would bring in a torch to the workplace when the power went out last year. She got a whole host of confused looks until they explained that a torch is indeed the flaming brand featured in cheap 'burn the witch' horror movie mob scenes.

Oh and back to thread topic: yesterday was the first day of Winter that when I took a deep breath the inside of my nose stared to freeze up in that 'crackling' manner.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Having spent last winter here I think the big moan may be about the length of the cold weather and if there is a lot of snow or not.

For me, coming from the UK, I feel that the lovely summer and Fall more than make up for it.

Here are some photos I took April 2007 (Easter Sunday).
Great pics where are you, we were in Ottawa at easter and Gatinau park it snowed all week, it was cold but not unbearable and i don't think we were really geared up for it, which of course we will be next time.

still loved it, hope i love it as much in a few years
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
There you go again being all fake Canadian - absolutely cringe worthy!
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:36 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Can't remember the coldest month for Red Deer but we had snow on the ground from October to April and most days we got a top up so had to shovel nearly everyday for 5 months. This year so far is lots better (Manically touching wood and keeping fingers crossed)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:47 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We had 134cm of snow or thereabouts in St John's in December. Thats like the third highest recorded in December ever and is on par with snowfall in December 2000. That's signficant because the winter 00-01 saw 6.4m of total snowfall accumulation. If we are on track for a similar year then life is going to be interesting this winter! I already have a sweepstake on as to how high the snowdrift we walk through to get to the front door of the office will be. At present its about 50cm, I reckon it will be over head height by the end of Feb!

There is, alledgedly, not a snowblower to be bought in the city now and pedestrians are already taking their lives in their hands by trying to walk on the snowbanks/road. Our office is 150m from the Mall. Getting their by foot involves walking on the road for 40m then clambering over a 4m snow bank to get into the Mall carpark. Next time I think I'll drive.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I already have a sweepstake on as to how high the snowdrift we walk through to get to the front door of the office will be. At present its about 50cm, I reckon it will be over head height by the end of Feb!
Here at my place in Kanata (near Ottawa) they took away the snowbanks between the road and the sidewalk. Quite the operation. It is now a lot easier to back out into the street w/o taking your life in your hands.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

So winter has only just started and we've not had -30 or -40 with the wind chill yet here in NB this winter but so far so good. I've got to say we were expecting the weather to be torture - some neighbours become depressed (seriously, they turn into grumps and know how many days it is until spring!!). I don't find down to -20 cold unless its windy. The wind makes a huge difference and my daughter doesn't like that much.

So far we've had quite a few -20 days, colder with wind chill and in the last 10 days about 3ft of snow but nothing bad at all. The only things I have noticed are:

1...Batteries seem to give up in really cold temperatures. I use a torch to walk my dogs at night but they gradually fade and go out within a couple of minutes of being outside. Once the torch is inside it works fine again

2...4wd vehicles with snow tyres (X Ice - someone told me they were best) still slide so GO SLOW

3...Lorries - huge ones, still seem to tank along at 100+ even when there is a couple of inches of snow on the road and its coming down heavily - pretty scary when they come up fast behind you and you cant even see the lane markings so you dont know if you're over enough for them to pass

4...Its amazing how much wood you go through quickly with a wood burning stove but the heat they give off is great

5...I've got a 4wd ATV with plough for clearing snow. Great if there is less than 30cm. Over that forget it, you need a blower or a neighbour with a tractor and a 6ft wide one (what a star, he does it without us even asking)

6...For anyone who is looking to move here and hasn't bought a house yet forget a house that has garage doors which open outwards. Digging the snow to be able to open the doors will drive you crazy. A neighbour had his for one winter then switched to an up and over.

All in all we're still loving it. The snow and cold is actually nice, proper seasons, ok maybe there isn't much of a spring but there is certainly a cracking summer, fall and winter.
it's not the beginning of the winter (or even the middle bit), even seasoned canadians love the first snowfalls. It's the fact that it drags on till April ...

On the plus side i like the fact that it is white and bright at 7.30 am (as opposed to still being dark way past 8...)
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Know what's weird?

In England, you come in from the cold and it's nice to cup your hands around a coffee or have some nice hot soup to warm up.

Here you dress up and don't feel the cold out. You lose that feeling of returning comfort.

Sure your ears may sting and your fingertips may be sore...but it's just not the same thing.

Maybe it's me who's weird.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Know what's weird?

In England, you come in from the cold and it's nice to cup your hands around a coffee or have some nice hot soup to warm up.

Here you dress up and don't feel the cold out. You lose that feeling of returning comfort.

Sure your ears may sting and your fingertips may be sore...but it's just not the same thing.

Maybe it's me who's weird.
Maybe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.