Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cold Calling Canadian Employers

Cold Calling Canadian Employers

Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough
Default Cold Calling Canadian Employers

Hi All,

In an effort to gain employment in Canada I’ve started e-mailing Canadian companies here from the UK. My e-mails have basically advised them that I’m going to be over in Canada in January, and I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to meet up with someone in the company to have an informal chat, and maybe look at possibly employment opportunities within their business. As suspected I’ve had no responses at all, so I’m thinking of going down the cold calling route. As cold calling is new territory to me I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences, and could maybe share these with me and maybe even and throw some suggestions my way.

Thanks in advance

Glassy
Old Nov 11th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cold Calling Canadian Employers

In my opinion I'm not very keen on it - I find taking cold calls a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest .

If you are going to do it its better to do a bit of detective work first - find out what the companies do and who you should be talking to - The amount of calls I get in a week for guys looking for welder work or pipefitter work is unreal yet both trades are nothing whatsoever to do with our company
Old Nov 11th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Glassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the roughGlassy is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for the response NLDFC. I can see your point regarding cold calling, I suppose it can be compared to a call centre agent calling you at home every night :-) I suppose the difficult part of the whole subject is trying to strike up a rapport with the person in the first few sentences of a conversation. I suppose if cold calling isn’t the way to go, I could start applying for specific jobs via the respective websites, or just drop my resume into these companies whilst on my reccie tour next year.

As for focussing which companies I need to contact, I have a fairly good idea regarding who I need to approach.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks Again

Glassy
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really niceJimsan is just really nice

Hi Glassy.
I think your reccie trip will be your best chance of gaining employment in Canada.
I don't think you'll get much joy from cold calling.
Applying for specific jobs is something I've tried in the past.
You may find that most/all jobs will have a rider saying you must be eligible to work in Canada, or you won't be considered.
Without PR it's difficult to gain employment in Canada.
We did a reccie trip to Canada in February and it was well worth it.
Canadians seem to prefer face to face contact !
It's a great chance to make some good contacts.
Make sure you do your resume in a Canadian style.
If you can get some business cards printed, it's easy to hand them out.
Sell yourself as much as possible to the companies in your line of work while you're over there. It's your big chance !
Good luck,
Jimsan.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Glassy
I'm with Jimsan and advise a reccie to your chosen province would be your best chance our securing possible future employment in Canada and as Jimsan say's that without PR it's going to be fairly difficult to gain employment in Canada. I think the fact that your willing to spend money on a reccie to go over to try to secure employment will be looked on positively.
Hope things go well for you .
regards
Joinerboy