Reload this Page >

Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Old Feb 14th 2010, 8:29 am
Banned

durrani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Hi

I am shifting to Canada by the mid of Marach and before leaving UK, I am thinking to close all my account. Although, I will leave no money in account, but still alot of people advise me better to close it incase some one can mis-use it by any chance.

Nowe, when I am going to close my account, tranfering my money to my brother bank account, who will make a Draft for me, some one told me that I have to show Bank statments as well on Landing?

Is this right or I have to only show them proof of funds?

I am just confused and feeling like between the deep sea and devil.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Regards
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice
Default Re: Closing Bank accounts in UK???

Originally Posted by durrani
Hi

I am shifting to Canada by the mid of Marach and before leaving UK, I am thinking to close all my account. Although, I will leave no money in account, but still alot of people advise me better to close it incase some one can mis-use it by any chance.

Nowe, when I am going to close my account, tranfering my money to my brother bank account, who will make a Draft for me, some one told me that I have to show Bank statments as well on Landing?

Regards
I moved to the USA and kept my bank account with a small amount in it. It turned out to be really useful. I used it for when people wanted to give me money for either myself or my son (they'd deposit it in my British account), or if I wanted to order something for someone online or something from the UK - I just used my UK card.

You never know what's down the road - if you move overseas and then move back to the UK in a few years, you'll have a really hard time being able to open a current account with no credit history.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:58 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend keeping open with a small amount of money in it. It will save you much frustration should you decide to move back to the UK, and gives you the opportunity to transfer money to/from the UK. Always handy.

Make sure you get online access to it.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Keeping abank account open in the UK is entirely up to you at the end of the day and may have advantages in the future as pointed out by the others.

What I would say to you is that you will have to open a Canada bank account as you will need to show proof of funds and if you transfer it to your brother's account...you will have difficulty proving it is yours and it could complicate matters.

Transferring the money to your brothers account is not the way forward. HSBC do open Canadian accounts here for use in Canada, which means you can go to a branch locally and open the account then transfer your own money into it....proof of funds will then be easy as the account is in your name.
Hope this helps
Stef

Hi

Regards
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:20 pm
Banned

durrani is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for every body.

However, as far as I was told, if I have a bank draft of required money, the immigration officer will not bother any more.

And in case of bank draft, I can get from my brother's account as well. I will deposit that bank draft in my own account once, I opend the account. I was in HSBC branches ( more then two) and I was told that they dont open any account for Canada from here. I was advised by all branches that I must be in Canada to open an account in HSBC. I was also told even in one branch, that Canada HSBC has nothing to do with UK HSBC. Even I called their customer service number of HSBC and the lady with whom I talked, she was not sure and she advised me that I should just pop in any HSBC branch and they will guide me.

Do you people still think that it will be a problem as draft will be with my name.

I agree to keep the bank account but as I will not use it, it will not make any impression on its credit history. One can has a good credit histroy if he/she is using it in a very good way. So having an account unsed or opening a new account will be same from the credit point of view.

Do you people still think that having a bank draft with my name from my brother account can make any problem?

Thanks in advance for all help.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I don't know why they would not open an account for you at HSBC. Many people on here have reported that they have successfully opened bank accounts with them. Even their helpline has said to go into a branch. I would go back into the branch and ask to see the manager. Maybe, that they have no experience...which would be different to...they can't do it!

As for the Bank account here. You wouldn't build up any credti history if you did not use it, but we have all said it would be useful for many reasons. Say you inherited some money in the UK....you could get it paid straight into that account. If you wanted to give family money for birthdays etc...you could just write a cheque and send it.

As I said it is up to you.
Good luck whatever you decide to do
Stef

thanks for every body.

However, as far as I was told, if I have a bank draft of required money, the immigration officer will not bother any more.

And in case of bank draft, I can get from my brother's account as well. I will deposit that bank draft in my own account once, I opend the account. I was in HSBC branches ( more then two) and I was told that they dont open any account for Canada from here. I was advised by all branches that I must be in Canada to open an account in HSBC. I was also told even in one branch, that Canada HSBC has nothing to do with UK HSBC. Even I called their customer service number of HSBC and the lady with whom I talked, she was not sure and she advised me that I should just pop in any HSBC branch and they will guide me.

Do you people still think that it will be a problem as draft will be with my name.

I agree to keep the bank account but as I will not use it, it will not make any impression on its credit history. One can has a good credit histroy if he/she is using it in a very good way. So having an account unsed or opening a new account will be same from the credit point of view.

Do you people still think that having a bank draft with my name from my brother account can make any problem?

Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

thanks for every body.

I do not know how much money you have but remember, for bank drafts are regarded as cash by immigration so you must declare this. Have a look at this site, it may help:

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_d...faq_id=4000258

You could also use a currency transfer company such as www.currencyonline.com

They will give you a better rate.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

i would be very careful about leaving a bank account open in the uk ..
we had an account with lloyds tsb ,When we moved to canada we transfered our money to an account we opened leaving the uk account dorment for 2yrs . i attempted to close the account but was told i could only do it in person... so when i was back in uk for parents funeral i went to close it and was told i owed a near 4 figure sum on the account.
It seems my account had a service charge every month ,it added up over the 2yrs with overdraft fees etc . so be v careful
james.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

Hi

slight hijack but . . .do you need "proof of funds" on landing ?

i'm flying back to the UK after a few days anyway - maybe only need
when i move proper ?

to the question - i'd keep them open - they could be useful in the future
for an unplanned eventuality - as long as you have web access to them
your ok
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

I would leave a bank account open in the uk, obviously as james points out make sure its a free one. I sorted out my canadian hsbc account while in the uk, I already bank with first direct and this meant that there were no charges - I had to go into an HSBC bank to finish off paperwork and then the branch in suffolk sent it off for me. I now have a premier account in Canada and my old first direct account - i can transfer funds online which is very handy if needed - eg last year i needed to move some cash from uk to pay my tax bill in a hurry!

I still have a property in the uk and the uk account is used for managing this, I am currently working in uk and canada, my canadian account looks after canadian stuff - so i dont need to keep getting rogered by the exchange rate.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
Hi

slight hijack but . . .do you need "proof of funds" on landing ?

i'm flying back to the UK after a few days anyway - maybe only need
when i move proper ?
no one asked me for proof either when i landed on my work permit or when flagpoling for residency - i had all the details though - just in case

if you have your cash in the bank just print off a statement from your online bank
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I recommend keeping open with a small amount of money in it. It will save you much frustration should you decide to move back to the UK, and gives you the opportunity to transfer money to/from the UK. Always handy.

Make sure you get online access to it.
Completely agree.

Don't close it - there really is no need. And it can be a bugger opening up a new one should you wish to return at some point.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ann m
And it can be a bugger opening up a new one should you wish to return at some point.
same goes for credit cards. We were denied a marks and spencer card when we came back in the summer, despite having had one before going to canada 2 years ago.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I am not surprised that HSBC told you that you cannot open an HSBC Canada account from the UK. I find most emplyees at the braches to be incompetent. But they are right that you cannot open via the branch. You have to call a different number, where your application will be completed by the person over the phone. They will then email or post you the completed application which you will then have to take to the branch and sign in front of them and give it to them. Your account in Canada will then be opened.

Here is the website:

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/h...ide-assistance

Ray
Old Feb 14th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

I will atleast keep one open if i have more than one....

is hard to open a current account in the UK with no good or credit history..

Keep one open ok...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.