Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Class 2 National Insurance for expatriates

Class 2 National Insurance for expatriates

Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:12 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 National Insurance for expatriates

Originally Posted by Edo
Thank you for providing the link to the form. Is it possible to have payments taken from my bank in Canada - that's if I can't pay the Class 2 lump sum into my NI, or pay it from my private pension as paulry suggested.
They want sterling. I guess if you put it on your credit card that could be made to work but you'd have to take that up with them or see what options are made available to you come the time to set up your payments. I sent them a UK cheque to top up the missing years and have set up a direct debit from my UK account for deduction of the ongoing 6 monthly (...or was it quarterly?) payments.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 3:27 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
They want sterling. I guess if you put it on your credit card that could be made to work but you'd have to take that up with them or see what options are made available to you come the time to set up your payments. I sent them a UK cheque to top up the missing years and have set up a direct debit from my UK account for deduction of the ongoing 6 monthly (...or was it quarterly?) payments.
So I'm guessing you cannot pay the full balance in lump sum. Is that correct?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry, it's not as difficult as it sounds, there's just several steps and some waiting between each step:

About half way down the page on this link is the telephone number to request your pension statement. Once you've received it, the pension statement will provide the number you need to call to apply to make voluntary contributions. They will then send a form for you to fill in or you can get it from the link stated on the pension statement where you pretty much provide direct debit details for automatically making six monthly payments from here onwards. A couple a weeks later you'll get a letter stating that it's been accepted and what class (2 or 3, 2 being the cheaper one that most of us qualify for) and a statement for how much it'll cost should you want to top up the missing years since you left the UK and how to pay them (recommended).
Has this page changed as I cant see any telephone number??
Old Nov 1st 2014, 1:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
So I'm guessing you cannot pay the full balance in lump sum. Is that correct?
No, they pull out a piddling amount. The total amount at the moment I think for Class 2 is £145 pa and they have a schedule where they pull it out and often send me annoying letters detailing exactly when they're going to pull out £10 or whatever, it's really silly.

The only reason I have a UK bank account is to do NI contributions. I suppose I shouldn't complain too much because let's face it, 30 x 145 = £4,350 and it pays out £7,500 a year roughly. One of these things that makes no sense because no-one pays any attention to it, best left that way I think.

The website at the moment I think is a mess, once the dust has settled I'd just request a statement from the DWP to get a more accurate picture of what is going on.

I keep wondering whether the bank in the UK will start charging a monthly fee before I finish making the payments... if the banks do that it's going to cause a lot of problems for people in this situation.