Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Claining upemployment benefit

Claining upemployment benefit

Old Mar 26th 2020, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claining upemployment benefit

Hi,

Was wondering how to get unemployment benefit. Got rejected as they said I had 0 hours of insurable employment for 1 year. I need 700 hours of insurable employment to qualify.

I arrived in Canada Jan 2017, but got made redundant Oct 2018. I have only just made my claim Feb 2020. I am only on a open work permit and PR in finalising.

I have contacted my company to ask if they can submit a ROE, as unsure if they submitted at the time of my termination.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 26th 2020, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claining upemployment benefit

You should be able to apply for the new benefit in April. I think it is up to $2k per month for, currently, 4 months I think.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks, I am waiting to hear back from my payroll dept on whether they submitted the ROE.

I am gathering the documents and trying to figurte out out the submit as they say no photocopies.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 4:56 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Hi,
Was wondering how to get unemployment benefit. Got rejected as they said I had 0 hours of insurable employment for 1 year. I need 700 hours of insurable employment to qualify.
I arrived in Canada Jan 2017, but got made redundant Oct 2018. I have only just made my claim Feb 2020. I am only on a open work permit and PR in finalising.
I have contacted my company to ask if they can submit a ROE, as unsure if they submitted at the time of my termination.
Any thoughts?
For regular EI, you need insurable hours in the the year before your application - not ever. As you stated, you last worked in October 2018, and applied in February 2020, so your last insurable earnings were more than a year ago - 16 months to be precise. You don't qualify for regular EI. If you applied in November 2018, you likely would have qualified.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html

2. Eligibility

The following information is a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits so our processing agents can determine if you are eligible.

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:
  • were employed in insurable employment;
  • lost your job through no fault of your own;
  • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).
However, if you wait until April 6th, you can apply for the COVID-19 emergency benefit which is $2000 per month for up to 4 months.

Last edited by Photoplex; Mar 26th 2020 at 5:05 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK understood, but since I a got a redundancy package I did not think they would accept my claim, as it would be in the UK.
I need to figure out my options now.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:08 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
OK understood, but since I a got a redundancy package I did not think they would accept my claim, as it would be in the UK.
I need to figure out my options now.
You can receive a redundancy/severance pay out and still claim EI. It never hurts to ask - the worst they can say is "No".

Anyway, wait until April 6th and you can apply for the COVID-19 benefit.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The benefit will be available to workers living in Canada who are at least 15 years old and who:
  • Have earned at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the year before their application from employment, self employment, employment insurance maternity and parental benefits, and/or similar benefits paid in Quebec under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP), or a combination of these sources.
  • Are without income for at least 14 consecutive days in a four-week period because of COVID-19, because they have temporarily stopped working, lost their jobs, are sick or in quarantine, or need to care for a child or a family member.

The COVID emergency benefit isn't guaranteed and you need to meet the above according to whats been released so far to qualify.

Old Mar 27th 2020, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Appreciate everyone's inputs, maybe I should I have tried to claim when I was made redundant.