Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Civil Engineer Salary

Civil Engineer Salary

Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Civil Engineer Salary

Originally Posted by iaink
Unless you are a Canadian Citizen its safe to forget nearly all (non consultancy)federal government jobs. Its not discrimination, its Canadian government jobs for canadian citizens first.

Makes no sense to operate that policy in the real world though.
When I lived in London, mid 80's. I can remember being told that being a Anglo-saxon male I would not get a job with a London borough council.
A number of cases were borought agaist some councils discriminating against native English.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
When I lived in London, mid 80's. I can remember being told that being a Anglo-saxon male I would not get a job with a London borough council.
A number of cases were borought agaist some councils discriminating against native English.
Did you see the USA vs UK squirel thread in "take it outside"? Seems appropriate to mention it at this point
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rahel
About discrimination
I was told yesterday by senior govt officer that for Govt engineering jobs, they have policies where in which even if you are a PEng with 20 yrs of international experience, if there is someone who has PEng and 2 yrs of Canadian experience, the latter would get the job..

The same goes for teaching jobs. Even if you have taught as a temp teacher in a school in Canada, for any full time jobs, they look for 'seniority'..ie they rather employ someone who has taught couple of years in Canada than employ a teacher who is currently teaching as a substitute teacher at the same school..My aunt teaches as a subsitute teacher in Vancouver and when there was a vacancy at the school where she teaches, the principal told her, don't bother applying... as the policies requires him to employ someone with 'seniority'
Strange I was told the same thing with BC Hydro. Rather than salary the choice of location was based on seniority not skills or experience. Great I thought start off by Alaska and work my round the province by the time I retire. At least they have started to talk to new immigrants for the past 3 years that would have been a no no. I think I can live with that until I have established my skills in Canada.

As a manager in the UK I find such policies rather strange in the modern world but its Canada and your research should warn you of the culture within.

Good luck to all and take whats offered to get that seniority.

As Rich informs us positive attitude is far more helpful than the negative. If you cannot live on their salary don't go to Canada - go to the States (have you seen what they pay :scared: Their salary for the bottom grade in the same industry is nearly as much as I get paid as a manager in the UK

Paul
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Did you see the USA vs UK squirel thread in "take it outside"? Seems appropriate to mention it at this point
ok
Old Aug 1st 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Strange I was told the same thing with BC Hydro. Rather than salary the choice of location was based on seniority not skills or experience. Great I thought start off by Alaska and work my round the province by the time I retire. At least they have started to talk to new immigrants for the past 3 years that would have been a no no. I think I can live with that until I have established my skills in Canada.

As a manager in the UK I find such policies rather strange in the modern world but its Canada and your research should warn you of the culture within.

Good luck to all and take whats offered to get that seniority.

As Rich informs us positive attitude is far more helpful than the negative. If you cannot live on their salary don't go to Canada - go to the States (have you seen what they pay :scared: Their salary for the bottom grade in the same industry is nearly as much as I get paid as a manager in the UK

Paul
When I moved to Calgary in 1997 I read a job advert which asked for so much Canadian experience not professional engineering experience.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved to Calgary in 1997 I read a job advert which asked for so much Canadian experience not professional engineering experience.
In Britain we had the Masons and nepotism. Thankfully that part of our history is behind us. Canada is an emerging country which will take time to mature. Its all about evolution, take them for what they are - its why we want to move there and make the best of it.

My company is now sending recruitment teams to SA, Kenya and any other place we can get skilled Project manager professionals.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is an emerging country which will take time to mature.
Its a bit late for that kind of patronising view. Canada is a member of G8, Nato, etc. Its got one of the strongest per capita economies in the world and wipes the floor with the UK in almost every international comparison of economic, education or living standards.

Frankly there are really no excuses for some of Canadas inward looking archaic business practices, and Im glad I work for an employer thats a bit more progressive in its business practices than some of those examples here.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 1st 2006 at 6:57 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Britain we had the Masons and nepotism. Thankfully that part of our history is behind us. Canada is an emerging country which will take time to mature. Its all about evolution, take them for what they are - its why we want to move there and make the best of it.

My company is now sending recruitment teams to SA, Kenya and any other place we can get skilled Project manager professionals.
Are you in the Power industry in the UK as you have been talking to BC hydro.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you in the Power industry in the UK as you have been talking to BC hydro.
I currently work for National Grid in the UK. I have been studying Canada for a number of years - its not just Canada but North America in general. Whilst the world has moved on it has not. I cannot believe what I see sometimes, especially safety, but there again do not want to appear condescending to the Canadians - its our choice to move there. No one is forcing us to Canada its OUR choice. Its not cheap, in fact dam well expensive. But its what we want - market forces?

Canada pays 50% more than our equivalent journeyman, sorry fitters and we wonder why we cant recruit anyone?

We have become totally business forced and forgot about quality of life.

I really fear for the UK and don't want to be part of its future.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Hydro Quebec has one of the most advanced HV distribution grids in the world, i think. They have excellent pay and benefits packages. It would be a great company to work for, if it weren't for the fact that you have to pretty much be one of the Quebecois to work for them. Not even just 'speaking french well' will do, so i've heard...

I currently work for National Grid in the UK. I have been studying Canada for a number of years - its not just Canada but North America in general. Whilst the world has moved on it has not. I cannot believe what I see sometimes, especially safety, but there again do not want to appear condescending to the Canadians - its our choice to move there. No one is forcing us to Canada its OUR choice. Its not cheap, in fact dam well expensive. But its what we want - market forces?

Canada pays 50% more than our equivalent journeyman, sorry fitters and we wonder why we cant recruit anyone?

Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I worked for ATCO power in Alberta and you are right trades are well paid, better paid than some of the engineers and even some managers on the plant. I have the salaries somewhere buried in my attic(1999). In 1999 your trade was $60-$65K plus OT & other allowances, so $80k-$90k was not far from what you could earn. The Engineering Manager on the plant earned $75K andworked 50 hour plus week. He actually left ATCO and moved to Australia.

hudd
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I worked for ATCO power in Alberta and you are right trades are well paid, better paid than some of the engineers and even some managers on the plant. I have the salaries somewhere buried in my attic(1999). In 1999 your trade was $60-$65K plus OT & other allowances, so $80k-$90k was not far from what you could earn. The Engineering Manager on the plant earned $75K andworked 50 hour plus week. He actually left ATCO and moved to Australia.

hudd
PM You. I presume it was because of the strenght of the Unions?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neill
Hydro Quebec has one of the most advanced HV distribution grids in the world, i think. They have excellent pay and benefits packages. It would be a great company to work for, if it weren't for the fact that you have to pretty much be one of the Quebecois to work for them. Not even just 'speaking french well' will do, so i've heard...
That's why we are going to the west side of Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I have found during my research for the last 5 years has really opened my eyes, especially in a country such as Canada. But it was a lot like the UK in the 70's and 80's which is why I feel it is still developing and I do not mean in a condescending way. The have a massive expansion of their economy at the moment but lets not forget thats mainly due to the oil and gas boom. Look what happened to Canada when the States imposed lumber restrictions a few years ago. People seem to think the boom will last forever and do not remember the last boom and busts caused by energy crisis. Business is greedy and does not know when enough is enough until its too late and the world goes into recession. Peoples debts are huge in Canada and the UK which is a very bad sign of things to come in the future.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rahel
What is the average salary for a civil engineer in BC?
My partner has 20 yrs of work experience and possible PEng in Canada( He has MICE in England and washington accord would enable him to have a PEng in BC)
Does 80000/year is too low?
Thank you
Rahel
Is not the comparisn with the Uk salary already being earned the most relevant?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 2:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Liana
Is not the comparisn with the Uk salary already being earned the most relevant?
If that were the case hardly anyone would come to canada for a job. Cost of living is still lower in Canada, and salaries broadly reflect that.

It the comparison of the lifestlyes available at the respective salary levels that would be relevent. Or in simple terms compare how many
Mars bars or Big Macs can you buy with whats on offer.

To paraphrase Morrisey "There more to life than money (but not much more)"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.