Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship vs PR card - help!

Citizenship vs PR card - help!

Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship vs PR card - help!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Agreed but in reality I cgaff, I much prefer Junior hockey.
Hehe - I'm going to arrogantly assume you got that from me. When I eventually get booted off here - I'm going to consider cgaff my legacy to the BE community.
Old Sep 18th 2009, 7:29 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PrairieSushi
I'm glad you understood that.

Personally, I refused the lobotomy that would help me understand hockey speak
More peanuts sir?
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Hehe - I'm going to arrogantly assume you got that from me. When I eventually get booted off here - I'm going to consider cgaff my legacy to the BE community.
Do I owe you royalties or do I just have to acknowledge copyright.

cgaff © Alan2005
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britsrus

fair enough - was blinded by panic!
Doesnt seem that anyone else has pointed out that the PR card is only really necessary if you are travelling back into canada.

If you have no plans to fly anywhere you could just sit tight and wait for citizenship, and if anything does come up there is always the option of getting a travel document for $50, or if you have a british passport, use the fact that it has visa waiver status to board a flight back to canada (as a visitor) and then enduring the hassle of getting the immigration officer at the point of entry to confirm your PR status through the ROLF in your passport and the computer database etc. They may give you a hard time though...

Personally Id be tempted to save the money for the PR renewal and take my chances.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Britsrus is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to apply for a PR renewal anyhow, after seeing how long it has taken others to get their Citizenship.

Will likely be travelling overseas with work early next year anyhow so don't have the option to wait it out in Canada without travel plans.

Also, after researching the PR card renewal process some more, I realize it's only $50 for a new one, so it's not too bad, even if it only lasts a ridiculous 5 yrs!

Thanks again to those with constructive help and advice.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britsrus
Also, after researching the PR card renewal process some more, I realize it's only $50 for a new one, so it's not too bad, even if it only lasts a ridiculous 5 yrs!

Thanks again to those with constructive help and advice.
Its the ridiculous cost of replacement British passports that makes getting canadian citizenship a worthwhile economic option eventually.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its the ridiculous cost of replacement British passports that makes getting canadian citizenship a worthwhile economic option eventually.
Don't Canadian passports only last five years though?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
Certainly beats "showing commitment" as a plausible reason
Old Sep 21st 2009, 8:42 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't Canadian passports only last five years though?
Yes, but they cost less than half the cost for a british one

FWIW Rumour has it that due to mandatory passports to travel to/from the US they may introduce a ten year expiration to keep the work load manageable anyway.