Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship time line

Citizenship time line

Old Aug 29th 2013, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship time line

Originally Posted by MarkG
Basically.

However, when you get the letter saying you have a citizenship test next week, you'll regret leaving the book lying around for a year without learning anything .
Spot on , major 6 days swatting in our household
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:25 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Imagine if an ex-pat purposely came to Canada with the intention of staying the minimum time required to get citizenship - they'd likely, the way the wait times are going be in Canada twice as long as they'd expected.
Good. If someone comes to Canada for the sole purpose of getting citizenship, and b*gg*r*ng off once they have it, I am quite content that they have to wait.

Its all a money grab
How?
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:01 am
jcd
Just Joined

jcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Citizenship time line

Hi we live in Vancouver BC

We applied for our citizenship Feb 2012, they acknowledged receipt about 6 weeks later

Husband , had to be finger printed may 2013,

called for exam mid July 2013, had our citizenship cermony a week ago.

just for info they only give you 10 days notice for the exam and the cermony!

Glad its all done, just have to apply for passports now
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

how long after the exam are you notified of whether you passed or not?

do they let you know immediately?

I wonder what happens to those that fail?
instant deportation or do you just sign something to state you understand why you got those questions wrong?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:12 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcd
Hi we live in Vancouver BC

We applied for our citizenship Feb 2012, they acknowledged receipt about 6 weeks later

Husband , had to be finger printed may 2013,

called for exam mid July 2013, had our citizenship cermony a week ago.

just for info they only give you 10 days notice for the exam and the cermony!

Glad its all done, just have to apply for passports now
10 days is plenty time to re-read the book I think.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
how long after the exam are you notified of whether you passed or not?

do they let you know immediately?
In some cases -- e.g. if they're doing the ceremony the same day -- yes. In others, no.

I wonder what happens to those that fail?
It used to be an interview with the citizenship judge, but I believe they now give you a second chance at the test before they go that far.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

We applied for citizenship in September 2012. Last week we received letters telling us to go to Hamilton to write the test today, which we did. They then marked them while we were being interviewed afterwards so we got the results the same day. We were advised that the citizenship ceremony will be in 4 - 6 weeks time.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 12:48 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to wonder if they actually want us to be citizens Passed our tests at the end of August (both got 100% ) and were told to expect ceremony this week. We heard that other Brits who came to the test the same day as us had received invites and we'd had nothing. We called CIC and apparently there's nothing wrong with our applications but we weren't getting invites this time.... no idea why.
37 months now since we first applied and still not citizens!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
I'm beginning to wonder if they actually want us to be citizens Passed our tests at the end of August (both got 100% ) and were told to expect ceremony this week. We heard that other Brits who came to the test the same day as us had received invites and we'd had nothing. We called CIC and apparently there's nothing wrong with our applications but we weren't getting invites this time.... no idea why.
37 months now since we first applied and still not citizens!
Just curious but, why do you want to be citizens when you are seemingly going back?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 10:36 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We might want to come back again sometime! Plus we've paid our $500 and it gives our daughter more options in her future...
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Applied in July, no word yet, just wish they'd send some sort of 'yes we received your application' letter, email even as they ask for it on the form.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 4:52 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I did a little search but still have a "Quick question"

I received my Book and a letter saying i need to learn to read and write English and speak some at the upcoming test. Ohh my !! (still req even though we now send proof that we are of the English speaking people land)

Question is: How long after getting the book and vague letter was you called up for the test ?

I am in Ontario, East Toronto, most likely go to Scarborough office for test.

Thanks
Ohh poo, test is in two weeks, in Mississauga, Dec 20th.

Where did i hide that freeking book
Old Dec 6th 2013, 12:45 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ohh poo, test is in two weeks, in Mississauga, Dec 20th.

Where did i hide that freeking book
not Scarborough? how odd
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:23 pm

Its maybe part of the test, see if the applicant can navigate across the GTA
Old Dec 6th 2013, 1:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Applied for my citizenship last month.

Hopefully the process is as drawn out as PR as I enjoy using the term "Canadian" derogatorily.

Last edited by JamesM; Dec 6th 2013 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Gramma innit!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.