Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Test - hints n tips please

Thanks everyone
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JonboyE

I can't remember when we last "spoke"

We now have 2 Little L2S. The oldest just turned 4 yrs and will be continuing to learn to ski this year. She had a brief go last season and LOVED it. She has taken to ice skating like a true Canadian.

It's her birthday party tomorrow (entertaining 16 four year olds for an afternoon isn't very compatible with revising though)

The littlest was born July 2012. Hard core little guy. Was walking at 10 months. Can kick a mini football as good as a 3 year old. Desperate to get on the ice when he goes to watch his sister's lessons.

And the best part is that they adore each other...PHEW

Hope all well with you
Old Jan 11th 2014, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Things must have changed..... I did my test in Feb 2013 and I never got the result - Only "Successfully met the requirements"

The test has definitely changed - there are good online practice tests but I had a couple of questions that I hadn't seen before. As said - delete two answers, stab at a third.

I just counted through those that I was certain certain of getting right, I knew 16 were absolutely correct and so handed in my sheet.

Do revise - I think you need too - I doubt anyone would pass without revising, or a good base knowledge of Canadian History, Geography or Politics.

Good Luck
In November, our tests were marked while we waited, and we were given our results before leaving. I got 20/20 and would have been embarrassed not to, given the absurdly easy questions. The only people who seemed to struggle spoke very poor English.

It sounds like the difficulty of tests is highly variable. Mine was so easy that it really only tested language skills. I certainly would have passed (with less than 100%) without any study at all, and I think I would have scraped a pass before I even visited Canada!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 12:08 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
In November, our tests were marked while we waited, and we were given our results before leaving. I got 20/20 and would have been embarrassed not to, given the absurdly easy questions. The only people who seemed to struggle spoke very poor English.

It sounds like the difficulty of tests is highly variable. Mine was so easy that it really only tested language skills. I certainly would have passed (with less than 100%) without any study at all, and I think I would have scraped a pass before I even visited Canada!
Again, it is dependant on the question sheet given. The one I got was easy, but I did study for the test. We also got results same day during our interviews.

I would say that the online tests (links on this thread) are harder than the real test, if you can answer them u will be fine on the day.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Are all the questions only in text format, or do any use picture or photos?

There are a lot of photos in the study so wondering if we should *learn* them too
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Do revise - I think you need too - I doubt anyone would pass without revising, or a good base knowledge of Canadian History, Geography or Politics.
I agree. I'm not a great rote learner, but there's only a finite amount of stuff in there which is easy enough to go over.

I had about a month's notice for my test - we moved house last April, and my booklet was (and still is!) somewhere in one of our unpacked moving boxes - I ended up downloading the PDF on to my computer and iPad, etc. and found that going through it on my iPad was a very easy way to go through the various sections.

If you know anything about the UK political and legistlative systems, I would say you've got a head start on others - but even so, it's not that hard to get your head around.

Canadian history... well, that's there the rote learning comes in. If I can do it, I reckon anyone can

As with many multiple choice test formats, the "process of elimination" trick with some questions works. I had one trick question (in that I misread it when I first skim-read the exam paper). It took me about 4 minutes to complete the exam, so I killed time by re-reading the paper and my responses a couple of times... and realized my error.

As stated by others, they so indeed tell you your test score on the day. In my case, I somehow got 100%! I was expecting to get a couple wrong, as I was averaging 90% on the free online tests (which are very good - they don't give you everything, but certainly give you a good feel of what to expect in terms of format and wording/tone).

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

It's not guaranteed that they will tell you on the day if you pass, or that you ever get your actual score, we got neither, just an invitation to our ceremony in the mail a few weeks later
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ok......45 minutes to go

I'm wearing my Lululemon yoga pants and Roots Canada t-shirt, carrying a cup of Double Double.....if I fail I plan to tell the Judge that I was too busy taking my kids ice skating and volunteering for my local community to have time to revise
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live to ski
ok......45 minutes to go

I'm wearing my Lululemon yoga pants and Roots Canada t-shirt, carrying a cup of Double Double.....if I fail I plan to tell the Judge that I was too busy taking my kids ice skating and volunteering for my local community to have time to revise
Good plan

Good luck... not that I expect any is required
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

ok......45 minutes to go

Don't forget to mention that you are 'doing it for the kids'
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:13 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Are all the questions only in text format, or do any use picture or photos?

There are a lot of photos in the study so wondering if we should *learn* them too
No pics, good luck
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:26 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

We both got 20/20 (lots of online tests) but are still waiting for a ceremony 5 months later.... hope yours is quicker than that.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

we both passed

As you all advised, not super easy but read the book forwards and backwards, do some on-line tests and use your common sense.

I don't know what our scores were but never mind.

After the test we had a 3 hour wait for our verification of documents. One the plus that is the longest that Mr L2S and I have had to just sit and be since the Little L2Ss came along .... it was quite pleasant just sitting together with nothing else we could do but chat.

3 - 5 month wait for the ceremony. I'm hoping we score Canada Place on Canada Day but I won't hold my breath.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
We both got 20/20 (lots of online tests) but are still waiting for a ceremony 5 months later.... hope yours is quicker than that.
Where are you Scrapcat?
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:03 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you Scrapcat?
PEI, the annoying thing is that other people we know who sat the test the same day and applied after us, had their ceremony ages ago.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.