Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test

Citizenship test

Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship test

Because I finished first, handed it to the CIC guy, he put the answer grid over my paper and said: "You got them all!" as I walked out.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:35 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, I just sat the test this morning & it was so difficult. I had read the book numerous times & was scoring 99 - 100% doing the online test but the questions I had today were nothing like the online test. A few people left the room really quickly with big smiles on their faces but well over half were still in the room after 15 minutes. A couple of girls left crying their eyes out. I have everything crossed in hopes that I have passed but I wouldn't be surprised if I get a call to see the judge
We were there for 3 hours total.

Also we got a piece of paper saying we would find out whether we passed or failed within 3 months.

Last edited by louise033; Aug 26th 2011 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Forgot something!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

NWAB is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and daughter are both Canadian by birth. I'm British. I down loaded some old question papers and had a spot quiz with them. Looks like there gonna have to give up there passports they failed
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:03 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I took mine 3 weeks ago (got my ceremony tommorow WOOP WOOP) it was so easy!

Although i did read my book a lot.

It took me 3 mins to complete the test and some of the questions were stupid they were so easy. easy in the sense if you have intergrated into Canadian life and culture.

For instance, one question was, why was Terry Fox so important to Canadian History?
See, and mine was all about the Queen, the Queen, the Queen and how a constitutional monarchy works, all that kind of legal stuff. So it clearly depends which version you get. It was straightforward but not easy - I'm glad I studied.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 27th 2011 at 1:11 am.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 1:08 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Vancouver probably is tougher. I did get a question about rights in Canada and one of the possible answers was the right to beat your spouse. That really is a tough one because the guide does not say you cannot!

How do you know your mark? Did you get it same day or some point later on? I was expecting to know same day but didn't get an iota. The cic people were absolutely obsessed with counter-cheating measures. There were at least 3 cycles of questions in the room and probably a lot more. Some immigrants take the P though - I heard cases of chinese telling each other the answers. The Vancouver CIC have probably come under intense criticism for that. I guess if they give you 100% you could memorize the Q+A and publish them on a site like this, giving the game away. Whereas if they don't tell you, you can only assume you got 75% and don't know for sure which answers you got right and wrong. I do hope, however, that I got the "beating one's spouse" one right.
Yes, I thought it was interesting how they divided us all up and separated family and friends to opposite sides of the room, clearly separated different ethnic groups, etc. I guess that's why. Personally I'm glad..I freaking studied for it, so should everyone else.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:02 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

There were only 6 of us in the room that spoke English or French as a first language, there were tons of other nationalities there. My friends daughter sat the test recently & was asked ridiculously easy questions like 'what animal is considered a symbol of Canada?'! One of my questions was about the Quebec Act of 1774!!!
There was a lot of whispering going on from a group sitting in front of me, not sure what language they were speaking but no one told them to stop.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:45 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you had a tough one Louise. They do vary - I had one question which stumped me: Something about how many Canadian servicemen and women had died in the service of their country. (can't remember the exact phrasing).

In the practice Q's I knew how many in WWI and in WWII, but I wasn't sure what the total number might be, especially if you count all the peace-keeping forces etc ...

Fingers crossed for you!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Because I finished first, handed it to the CIC guy, he put the answer grid over my paper and said: "You got them all!" as I walked out.
So you haven't heard the Canadian expression "You Gotamal!" I assume. Roughly translated it means "You failed, jackass" or something similar
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the test is pretty much spot on in terms of difficulty.
They have some easy ones in there, but theres definately some that make you think. And also make sure you have read the book and made an effort to study!