Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship test

Citizenship test

Old Sep 18th 2005, 6:37 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship test

Originally Posted by sysclp
Yes, they had your whole case folder there actually. I also didn't remember how many days it was and for me it was quite a few since I am from the US and go back there a few times a year to visit or for business. He wasn't really interested in the exact number of day, more that you could speak English well and understand him. What took the most time for me was going over my name change between my landing papers and now since they used my maiden name on the marriage certificate and not the name I was using when I moved up here from my first marriage.

My husband is Canadian born and he didn't know many of the answers before he helped me study for the test. Most of the political ones he knew until you got to who is your local representative with the city kind of stuff or who is the leader of some of the political parties at the provential level. He did say a lot of the geographic stuff was new to him too.
Thanks for that. Very reassuring. I'll make sure I have every scrap of information with me, just I case. I don't think I'm terribly worried about being tested for my competence in English (or French, really). I'm tempted, but probably won't do it, to mention that I have written speeches for four Canadian Ambassadors.

The only thing worrying me now is that I have a bad memory for names.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 11:33 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Souvenir

PS: What do we do until the next season of Canadian Idol starts? I miss it already.
Now that's a question all citizenship applicants should be able to answer
If not ...... God help us all!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Crispie
Now that's a question all citizenship applicants should be able to answer
If not ...... God help us all!
I can see the question now.

"Canadian Idol is the embodiment of Canada's values and culture because:

a) Contestants are judged by a representative cross-section of Canada's diverse population (Jewish man, white woman, fat black man, fat white man who could also be Jewish and perhaps a bit....)

b) Viewers are given the opportunity to freely express their views (viewers in Quebec will always vote en-masse for any Quebec competitor, no matter how bad)

c) CI works to promote and end to discrimination (by showcasing fat 17 year old girls in very tight clothing)

d) CI encourages viewers to help preserve the environment (by switching off the TV, thus reducing greenhouse gas)
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sysclp
Yes, they had your whole case folder there actually. I also didn't remember how many days it was and for me it was quite a few since I am from the US and go back there a few times a year to visit or for business. He wasn't really interested in the exact number of day, more that you could speak English well and understand him. What took the most time for me was going over my name change between my landing papers and now since they used my maiden name on the marriage certificate and not the name I was using when I moved up here from my first marriage.

My husband is Canadian born and he didn't know many of the answers before he helped me study for the test. Most of the political ones he knew until you got to who is your local representative with the city kind of stuff or who is the leader of some of the political parties at the provential level. He did say a lot of the geographic stuff was new to him too.
When you took Canadian citizenship, did you lose your US citizenship? My dentist is American, and while she's married to a Canadian and has PR, she told me she doesn't want to get Canadian citizenship as she'd lose her American citizenship - which was news to me.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Snave
When you took Canadian citizenship, did you lose your US citizenship? My dentist is American, and while she's married to a Canadian and has PR, she told me she doesn't want to get Canadian citizenship as she'd lose her American citizenship - which was news to me.
I don't think it's automatic, although they're clearly not very keen on the idea of dual citizenship.

http://www.amcits.com/dual.asp
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Duncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant futureDuncan_BC has a brilliant future

I believe that the citizenship test is a travesty and should be abolished. The government web site states that it is to ensure that citizenship applicants are fluent in English or French. By the time anyone applies for citizenship, language proficiency would have been tested in a much more stringent manner than some farsical multiple choice test on internal governmental structure. If it was at all important to be able to pass the test, then it would be required in the passport application process. (It is not.)
I have written the Prime Minister asking that the test be abolished.
(I was born in Ontario and I passed the online test easily.)
Old Sep 20th 2005, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Snave
No you don't lose it unless you specifically file paperwork with the US government renouncing your citizenship. They don't encourage dual cit. but it is OK.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't think it's automatic, although they're clearly not very keen on the idea of dual citizenship.

http://www.amcits.com/dual.asp

The US is normally ok with dual citizenship:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

Jeremy