Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Revoked

Wikiposts

Citizenship Revoked

Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Revoked

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Haha, well it's not a nice feeling that the gov't can swoop in and take your citizenship away, though it does sound like there are hearings where those being targeted can defend themselves at least. I don't think I personally have anything to be afraid of but it just goes against that whole thing of once you have citizenship you can completely relax I suppose.
What, even if you cheated to get it? You bloody well shouldnt be able to relax if thats the case.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:23 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, well it's not a nice feeling that the gov't can swoop in and take your citizenship away, though it does sound like there are hearings where those being targeted can defend themselves at least. I don't think I personally have anything to be afraid of but it just goes against that whole thing of once you have citizenship you can completely relax I suppose.
They can take it away if you obtained it illegally. What's wrong with that?

If you steal a TV and get caught a few months later, they don't say "well, you've had it a while, you might as well keep it"
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:23 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that one of the main reasons citizenship is revoked is that people do not fulfill the three years out of four requirement prior to applying.

The scenario is:

* Land in Canada.
* Arrange for a mailing address and someone to monitor your mail.
* B*gg*r off back to your country of origin (or elsewhere).
* Maintain a fiction that you are in Canada with this mailing address.
* Once citizenship is granted keep your Canadian passport in your back pocket and expect the Canadian government to come to your rescue if it all goes **** up where you are living.

The thing that gave the game away was that hundreds of PRs reported the same mailing address as their residence in Canada. It turned out to be the home of an immigration consultant.

I don't have a problem with citizenship being revoked if it was obtained fraudulently.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What, even if you cheated to get it? You bloody well shouldnt be able to relax if thats the case.
Well no, that IS wrong. I was thinking in terms of the government getting something wrong, thinking that you cheated when you didn't and then all of a sudden your passports being whisked away. Look at all the mistakes CIC makes with PR applications, thinking they've not got documents when they were clearly sent with the application and things like that. With citizenship most people think they're past all that nonsense but apparently that's not the case.

It's just better for everyone involved if they do more thorough checking beforehand then close the case. There ARE going to be exceptions but 1800 is astonishingly high.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:28 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you would be concerned about this. It's in pretty clear cases of fraud that they would revoke cit'ship - quite right too imo. Bring it!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:28 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, well it's not a nice feeling that the gov't can swoop in and take your citizenship away, though it does sound like there are hearings where those being targeted can defend themselves at least.
In the UK under the Immigration Act 2006 your citizenship can be revoked without a hearing if there is a compelling reason to do so as determined by the Secretary of State, even if citizenship was obtained legally, in fact even if you were born in the UK, the only restriction is that removing your citizenship doesn't leave you stateless.

This is the power that was used to strip Anna Chapman of her citizenship.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Well no, that IS wrong. I was thinking in terms of the government getting something wrong, thinking that you cheated when you didn't and then all of a sudden your passports being whisked away. Look at all the mistakes CIC makes with PR applications, thinking they've not got documents when they were clearly sent with the application and things like that. With citizenship most people think they're past all that nonsense but apparently that's not the case.

It's just better for everyone involved if they do more thorough checking beforehand then close the case. There ARE going to be exceptions but 1800 is astonishingly high.
Governments get something wrong all the time. Yeah, it would be better to find this out at the start, but there is always fraud and limited resources so nothing is 100%. I assume these 1800 are going to have due process applied and will get their day in court should they have evidence to prove that they in fact aren't dodgy.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:41 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see that bit on 60 minutes about that Lebanese-born woman who was a CIA spy and obtained US citizenship fraudulently?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6335794.shtml

The most relevant bit is the fourth to last paragraph:

Prouty was to be deported to Lebanon, but because she would likely be killed by the very terrorists she investigated, the judge blocked her deportation. Today she lives in Virginia with an American husband she married in 2001, and their two children. But, as a "deportable alien," she must check in with immigration officers regularly. She can't get a job, open a bank account, or travel more than 50 miles from her home.

So basically she is screwed without an Act of Congress, even a Presidential pardon wouldn't help, because once the citizenship is gone, it's gone, even if you get a pardon for the fraud.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:39 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

There was a commentator on CBC News this morning suggesting that it's thought not too many of the 1800 would challenge the removal of their citizenship, the belief being that the Government is in possession of good evidence of the fraud. Many of the fraudsters already live abroad and wouldn't return for the challenge.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
My sense of fair play would tend to agree with you, however, perhaps a condition of gaining citizenship should contain a caveat that warns if that person engages in criminal activity thereafter resulting in a Federal sentence, then said Citizenship can be revoked....and the individual returned to country of origin on completion of sentence? We have enough 'home grown' Crims' without importing them IMO.....

It will never happen of course...far to sensible....
It will never happen but not because it's far too sensible. In fact, legally, it doesn't make any sense at all. Once you're a citizen, you're as much a citizen as someone who was born in Canada. We don't have different categories of Canadian citizenship (just different ways to obtain it).

If the citizenship was obtained fraudulently (e.g. not disclosing crimes that were committed prior to obtaining citizenship) then it should be revoked. But committing crimes after citizenship is obtained cannot be grounds for losing citizenship.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 21st 2011 at 5:42 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It will never happen but not because it's far too sensible. In fact, legally, it doesn't make any sense at all. Once you're a citizen, you're as much a citizen as someone who was born in Canada. We don't have different categories of Canadian citizenship (just different ways to obtain it).

If the citizenship was obtained fraudulently (e.g. not disclosing crimes that were committed prior to obtaining citizenship) then it should be revoked. But committing crimes after citizenship is obtained cannot be grounds for losing citizenship.
Read my post again...I know that my suggestion is not the case legally or otherwise....thought that was obvious? It was simply me making an observation...and from my own point of view, something that might be worth considering....you don't agree? Fine. Do try and keep up.....

Have a nice day!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Originally Posted by macadian
Read my post again...I know that my suggestion is not the case legally or otherwise....thought that was obvious? It was simply me making an observation...and from my own point of view, something that might be worth considering....you don't agree? Fine. Do try and keep up.....

Have a nice day!
I read your post but I'm not a mind reader. You didn't mention the legal angle and therefore it wasn't obvious that you knew you were talking nonsense. All you said was that it wouldn't happen because it was "far too sensible". It'll never happen because it's legally unenforcable and, if anyone was ever stupid enough to try it, it wouldn't survive the first legal challenge. You can't start making decisions to strip someone of their citizenship based solely on the route they took to get that citizenship (e.g. by birth, by descent, by naturalization). Of course, fraudulent naturalization applications should certainly be looked at and dealt with but if the application was not fraudulent that person remains a Canadian citizen regardless of what they do afterwards.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 22nd 2011 at 4:02 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe three years as a PR before becoming a citizen is not a long enough "probationary period"?

Personally I was surprised it was so relatively easy to become a Canadian.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Maybe three years as a PR before becoming a citizen is not a long enough "probationary period"?

Personally I was surprised it was so relatively easy to become a Canadian.
Actually you don't even need to be a PR for 3 years. You can be a PR for 2 years and still apply for citizenship as long as you also have enough legal non-PR time in Canada before that (e.g. work permit).

In Australia you can apply for citizenship after as little as 1 year as a PR but, again, you also need enough legal non-PR time in the country before that.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 22nd 2011 at 4:13 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

You know what I mean though, it just doesnt seem like a whole lot of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.