Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Citizenship question

Citizenship question

Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all
Default Citizenship question

Hi all

Do you know if you can apply for citizenship, then move to another country and come back to Canada just to take your test and your oath?

My husband might be offered a job in the states and we will be probably able to stay in Canada for another year at which time we will have been here 3 years but ultimately the job will probably require him moving to the US West coast. I would like us to get our Canadian citizenship if we can.

Thanks for your help.

pink panther
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:33 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
Hi all

Do you know if you can apply for citizenship, then move to another country and come back to Canada just to take your test and your oath?

My husband might be offered a job in the states and we will be probably able to stay in Canada for another year at which time we will have been here 3 years but ultimately the job will probably require him moving to the US West coast. I would like us to get our Canadian citizenship if we can.

Thanks for your help.

pink panther
I think you need to stay at least 3 out of 5 years in Canada for your citizenship?
Old Jun 20th 2006, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Yes and next year we will have been here 3 years so I was just asking that when we put in our application will we be free to move out of the area and then come back for the test and oath ceremony.

Thanks

Pink panther
Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I think you need to stay at least 3 out of 5 years in Canada for your citizenship?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush

3 years in 4. And legal residence in Canada before you become permanent counts as half.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Theoretically - yes, as far as I know, provided you meet residence requirements when you apply and continue to meet the PR residence requirement up to being sworn in.

HOWEVER - CIC apparently will not send correspondence to a non-Canadian address, and therefore you'll need someone trusted to look after your mail and be prepared to return to Canada at short notice for test and oath.

It's likely that some people have tried this and fallen foul of the logistic issues.

If he takes the job, would you be able to string things out longer in Canada? I also suggest you ask this on the immigration forum, the experts there may know more.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply, I will check on the immigration forum too.

He will be covering Canada and the west coast US so there is no immediate need to up sticks but if things do go well there might be the need to relocate.

Pink Panther

Originally Posted by JAJ
Theoretically - yes, as far as I know, provided you meet residence requirements when you apply and continue to meet the PR residence requirement up to being sworn in.

HOWEVER - CIC apparently will not send correspondence to a non-Canadian address, and therefore you'll need someone trusted to look after your mail and be prepared to return to Canada at short notice for test and oath.

It's likely that some people have tried this and fallen foul of the logistic issues.

If he takes the job, would you be able to string things out longer in Canada? I also suggest you ask this on the immigration forum, the experts there may know more.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks for your reply, I will check on the immigration forum too.

He will be covering Canada and the west coast US so there is no immediate need to up sticks but if things do go well there might be the need to relocate.

Pink Panther

Remember that the residence requirement is 1095 days in the 4 years preceding the application. If he doesn't meet that requirement (due to business trips into the US) then his application goes before a citizenship judge, and then the question of where he is really living becomes very relevant.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Thanks for your help.

pink panther
If I can offer any advice, it would be to familiarise yourself with the tax implications of living/working both sides of the border, too.