Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

citizenship process

citizenship process

Old Apr 4th 2009, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

snoopdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: citizenship process

Is it feasable to live here 3 years, send off your application for citizenship and leave the country pending the application being processed? Then return for your test, swearing in ceremony etc? As long as you have a mailing address in Canada, could this be done??
Old Apr 4th 2009, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdog
Is it feasable to live here 3 years, send off your application for citizenship and leave the country pending the application being processed? Then return for your test, swearing in ceremony etc? As long as you have a mailing address in Canada, could this be done??
In theory you could but you only really get a few days notice for the test and the ceremony so you could be out a lot of money booking last minute flights.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:17 am
Banned

GlamGran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snoopdog
Probably. But why would you do that?
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

Somebody please save me the hassle of wading through all the CIC web pages and tell me how much it cost. Husband wife and two kids aged 12 and 5 years old.

Peter.......

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
My kids (both born in Toronto) have Canadian and British passports and as I was born in Northern Ireland they can get Irish ones too.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:42 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prairie Pete
Somebody please save me the hassle of wading through all the CIC web pages and tell me how much it cost. Husband wife and two kids aged 12 and 5 years old.

Peter.......
$200 for adults
$100 for kids
plus whatever the cost for photos ..... mine were $56
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Prairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant futurePrairie Pete has a brilliant future

Thanks bananahammock

I persume the certificates are optional... I see they cost $300 ($75 x 4).

Peter..

Originally Posted by bananahammock
$200 for adults
$100 for kids
Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:26 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks bananahammock

Peter..
Well I'm cheap & don't want to give CIC any more $$$ than absolutely necessary so didn't opt for the certificates ...... they'd only end up in the bottom of a drawer somewhere!!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../CIT0002E2.asp
Old Apr 5th 2009, 4:25 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

You'll get certificates. There's no additional charge for them. You'll need them to apply for Canadian passports.

The $75 fee is for people who are already Canadian citizens and want a certificate to prove it.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
You'll get certificates. There's no additional charge for them. You'll need them to apply for Canadian passports.

The $75 fee is for people who are already Canadian citizens and want a certificate to prove it.
Just to confirm that's correct you get a certificate and a really crappy looking Citizenship card at the ceremony.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

Its taking a long time.
Applied early Oct 2008 and still heard nothing.
Phoned and got the recorded message and applications received in late October are now being looked at.
Get it done and forget about anything happening fast.Initially when we applied the first period of waiting was 2 months and now its gone up to six.

Its all on the website for cic
hope this helps
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:30 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind that what calls itself the citizenship certificate isn't what the passport guys mean when you apply for your Canadian passport. They want the card.

Also, unless it's changed since 2005, the book you are sent before the test contains some text in bold. This is what is known as a bit of a bleedin' hint.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MR MOM
Its taking a long time.
Applied early Oct 2008 and still heard nothing.
Phoned and got the recorded message and applications received in late October are now being looked at.
Get it done and forget about anything happening fast.Initially when we applied the first period of waiting was 2 months and now its gone up to six.

Its all on the website for cic
hope this helps
Yup. Agree with you there. I applied in December and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not in a hurry though just as long as it gets done at some point.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Marmite lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bananahammock
$200 for adults
$100 for kids
Do you have the photo's forever, I mean on the driving license you have to go back and get your photo done every 5 years, just had my photo taken and it has captured all life's stress, hate it, hate it, would have looked better with a bag over my head and a smiley face added to that. It cost us $36 for three at London Drugs.