Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Choose a new car for AX......

Wikiposts

Choose a new car for AX......

Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choose a new car for AX......

I rather like the Flex, but then as I said the other day I never much cared what other people think. Looks like a stretched Range Rover to me...

However, as someone who has to fit two kids in a vehicle and occasionally tows stuff, I figure its too much vehicle to be paying for every day, and its winter handling / 4x4 capability is not going to compete with a Subaru.

Ford reliability is pretty good nowadays, as is GM, so I wouldnt worry about that, especially as we a talking about leasing in which case any issues (unlikely as they might be) will be covered under warranty anyway.

to quote from the article
Fuel economy for the FWD Flex is rated at 12.6/8.4 L/100 km, city/highway, and for the AWD Flex it’s 13.5/9.2 L/100 km

and real world numbers will be significantly worse than that of course...

The two Legacy wagons are rated at (10.6/7.6 ) FWIW

Last edited by iaink; Jun 30th 2009 at 2:56 am.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:09 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex_Man

Ford do estate car. Ford Taurus X. .

You can also pick up Montana SV6 Mini Van 14-16K....

Mazda 5 are also cool mini vans......They don't have any stodgy images either.

Check out http://www.leasebusters.com might be a lease you want to take over and avoid some of the cost. some people even pay you to take over the leases.
Thks. Ford Taurus X / Freestyle is worth a thought. A local dealer has a nearly new one seemingly v cheap. The legendary (check redflagdeals discussion on the subject) Pontiac Uplander at $14k seems to be a work of fiction. It've have to be damn cheap to be worth buying.

Leasebusters I am aware of. What I don't know is anyone who has actually used the service - hence my question.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'm going to say

Ford Escape

by summer boring dull run of the mill SUV

in deep snow in winter an excellent performer

(plus will do up to 80kph across a field)
A definate possibility. Dull but then the Liberty wasn't exactly exciting!

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I've been shopping around the last few months for a vehicle to replace the Vibe with. Main requirements for me were:-
I took delivery of a nice new SX4 last Thursday (they actually delivered it to me free of charge).

For a small car it's really spacious inside. As well as checking all the boxes above, it has lots of features (e.g. mp3/wma player, cruise control etc) as well as the switch to select FWD/AWD/4WD.

I'm really pleased with it so far. It's a lot of fun. I thrashed it down to Halifax and back on Friday and got 32 mpg average, I guess sensible driving might get 500km from a 40l tank of gas. Interior is a little cheap here and there and there are no storage bins but those are small issues as the car is such good value for money. It's a pretty cool car too, so people keep telling me
Looked at one of these last night - like it in a funky kinda way. A bit small for our requirements and won't meet the towing need. Also quite expensive for what it is?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
My 2 penneth would be a Chevy Avalanche, yes only available in gas - but if you're not towing a honking great thing, (towing capacity 5000lbs) then its fine. Has all the seats you need, a covered bed area for luggage, good fuel economy. It does everything a truck would with the advantage of the box, but isn't as out there as a full sized pickup.

Granted it has the V8 but here are the specs and its worth a look.

(Its going to be my purchase in the Autumn in the diamond white colour)
What part of 'not-wanting-to-own-a-truck-when-gas-is-$2-a-litre' did you not understand? Thanks for the suggestion, my heart does of course want the full size truck but short of winning 649 I'm unlikely to ever buy one.

Originally Posted by Oink
Have you considered a yak and a cart?

Yaks are very useful and good animals. Yaks are not lazy.

http://www.seniortravelconsultants.c...s/yak_cart.jpg
Yak shit can be a problem.

Originally Posted by SAW 04
I think AX wanted to lease though. GM no longer offer leasing.
That's a key point. It precludes current deals from GM and Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge.

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Oi read the mans requirements again, the Flex ticks almost every box plus it's a Ford so the lease option is there.

Nowhere in there did he say it has to look really good.

Would I lease or buy one?

Not a chance but hey I don't need to fit kids in with their cars seats nor do I need to tow anything.
I rode in a Flex the other day - it was suprisingly nice inside and is certainly, well, different outside. Not sure that I could be seen in one though. Shades of the early 90's Ford Granada syndrome, nice car but bog ugly!

Originally Posted by Steve_P
The man is driving a Jeep a Ford will seem really reliable after that.
From Jeep the only way is up, qualitywise. Having worked for the blue oval for 11 years I possess a certain amount of ingrained brand loyalty. (Although not to Landrover suprisingly - 18 mths there put me off 'em for life. Excepting a Defender 110 which you can't get here anyway.)

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI you leave Jeeps alone, I've had less issues with mine than...........
The Shaton
Shaton?

Thank you one and all for the comments and opinions. Keep 'em coming.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:13 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
s t

Shaton?

Thank you one and all for the comments and opinions. Keep 'em coming.
A soon to be defucnt division of GM, Saturn me thinks.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:19 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Escape's are small and pretty thirsty! How about a Mitsubishi Outlander?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Aren't Penske buying them?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:21 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
give the man a ceeegar
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:21 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Aren't Penske buying them?
Could very well be so.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:54 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

What did they quote you for he SX4? With the 0% <purchase finance> it was easily undercutting the quote I had for the 48 month lease on the Subaru.

Towing-wise the manual says "Do not tow". There are hitches out there though, one quotes "2000lbs capacity".

It's definitely not for everyone though, roomy inside for people but might be a struggle with all the stuff you need to take for the baby (I remember the days when transporting the little'un meant hauling a pushchair, car seat, bag of diapers, wipes, food, clothes etc, sometimes even the highchair)... So maybe that's another point to consider, that hauling all the baby-needs stuff is just a temporary stage that a short-term lease (or two) on a practical vehicle could cover.

Looked at one of these last night - like it in a funky kinda way. A bit small for our requirements and won't meet the towing need. Also quite expensive for what it is?
Old Jun 30th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

I rode in a Flex the other day - it was suprisingly nice inside and is certainly, well, different outside. Not sure that I could be seen in one though. Shades of the early 90's Ford Granada syndrome, nice car but bog ugly!
Hurst comes to mind.

Leasebusters I am aware of. What I don't know is anyone who has actually used the service - hence my question.
I know a few people. They all had great success it is painless process as long you are careful. Ask on Car Talk Canada you will find lot of others people have too. This is not really a car board. IMO tho with your Kind of payment you should be buying not leasing. Right now is the best time every to buy. Leasing is expensive and really only if you like owing a new car every 3 years. save ya money and buy.....

Pontiac Uplander at $14k seems to be a work of fiction. It've have to be damn cheap to be worth buying.
They are stone age. I wound not touch one without a warranty and soon as that was up, I'd flog. Unless it gave me no trouble. That is the main problem with domestics you just never know it's fingers cross. Since they have 160K warranty might be worth the risk and they dirt cheap.

Anyways I've Just check the website under deals. They ones they showing are now

2009 Montana SV6 RWB $16,498 + tax of course.

With these features:

* 3.9L 240 hp VVT V6 Engine
* 4-Wheel Disc Brakes with ABS
* Remote Keyless Entry System
* Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors
* Deep-Tinted Glass (Behind Front Doors)
* AM/FM/CD Player with MP3 Playback
* OnStar® with 1-year of the Safe and Sound Plan
* Air Conditioning
* 17-in. Wheels
* 5-year/160,000 km GM Powertrain Warranty with $0 Deductible

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 30th 2009 at 4:16 am.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:06 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
I know a few people. They all had great success it is painless process as long you are careful. Ask on Car Talk Canada you find lot of others people have too. This is not really a car board. IMO tho with your Kind of payment you should be buying not leasing. Right now is the best time every to buy. Leasing is expensive and really only if you like owing a new car every 3 years. save ya money and buy.....
The attraction of leasing over buying is the ability to hand the car back before the warranty expires. The climate here is hard on cars and my experiences of build quality for NA vehicles is not so good. Buying, to my mind, would seem to move one towards a used vehicle to avoid the big depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:06 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Escape's are small and pretty thirsty! How about a Mitsubishi Outlander?
Yes, thats definately one on the shortlist.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Depends. Some people like being the first to drive the car new. Anyways that is not really true a Toyota or Honda will last you years. It all depends on how you look after it and if clear the snow off properly and give the car a good waxing. buy the right floor mats. Get it Krown. It should last you well over 10 years.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:28 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'll throw in my 11mths experience of owning an '09 Forester XT.

The good:

Roomier than a Legacy for passengers - considerably more rear seat space, though cargo space is a fraction shorter, but taller.

Gas consumption, considering the turbo engine does encourage a heavier right foot, is surprisingly good. I drove from Kamloops to Vancouver yesterday, plus added an additional 100kms around the city attending meetings, so a good mix of highway and stop-start urban driving, and 450kms in total. Gas mileage was 9.0

It's very practical, excellent in winter conditions, and the huge moonroof is nice to have when the weather turns warmer. I've found it very comfortable on long journeys, and the power means mountain roads, overtaking and making erm 'decent progress' is easy.

The bad:

Reliability has been appalling. I've had an engine replaced, secondary air pump failure, bodywork repainted, stereo replaced and countless warning light issues. It's been off the road for warranty repairs for 6wks in total (during which time I've been loaned pretty much every other model of Subaru and Mercedes currently available, so I feel like I know a few other options pretty well).

I'm currently discussing a replacement car with the dealer and Subaru - fair to say it's soured the ownership experience. If I had the benefit of hindsight, and was spending the money again I'd have probably spent the $ on a GLK, which is very similar in terms of size, performance and economy.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The attraction of leasing over buying is the ability to hand the car back before the warranty expires. The climate here is hard on cars and my experiences of build quality for NA vehicles is not so good. Buying, to my mind, would seem to move one towards a used vehicle to avoid the big depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot.
On the other hand leasing is simply financing that depreciation at a generally higher interest rate...

We choose to lease our Civic, we couldnt find a newish used one for a sensible price, and leasing keeps the monthly cost within reach. At $300 a month its probably still not far off what it was costing on average to keep the old car on the road. The plan was to buy it at lease end (less than we can find used ones for, and with a known history), but now the temptation is to avoid a future of non warranty repairs and just keep leasing..... its a slippery slope.

Sounds like an exceptionally bad Subaru, what are the "lemon laws" here? Presumably the Merc would have been a lot more expensive?

Last edited by iaink; Jun 30th 2009 at 4:39 am.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 4:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by iaink
Rich, whats a GLK?
Mercedes. They call him 'RICH' for a reason......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.