Choice of SUV

Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choice of SUV

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's stating the obvious but the same displacement engine in a car will get much better mpg than one in an SUV.
Got it. And an SUV, even a small one like a CRV, is less aerodynamic than the equivalent Civic so this will push up the relative MPG.

Our CRV has a 2L 150bhp engine. Not a monster by any means, and it doesn't set your pulse racing, but perfectly adequate for everyday use. When we bought it all the competition seemed to have 2.4L as their entry level engines. I see that the latest CRvs have fallen into line.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Got it. And an SUV, even a small one like a CRV, is less aerodynamic than the equivalent Civic so this will push up the relative MPG.

Our CRV has a 2L 150bhp engine. Not a monster by any means, and it doesn't set your pulse racing, but perfectly adequate for everyday use. When we bought it all the competition seemed to have 2.4L as their entry level engines. I see that the latest CRvs have fallen into line.
It's not just aerodynamics it's also gear ratios. The SUV is designed for pulling and climbing off road so lower gear ratios, the car is built to cruise more or less.

A number of years ago a friend had a Toyota 4 Runner and I had a Camry both vehicles had the same 3.0L V6 I got much lower rpm at highway speeds and better mileage.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Is that an X-type? Aren't they 4WD or is that only the 3.0? How have you found it? I have a vague thought of buying one when I get around to replacing the Del Sol! (Damn thing is so reliable I'm never going to allowed to get anything new)
It's the XJ8 VDP I love it! Heated steering wheel in winter!

And I ride the bike in each of the 12 months of every year (not necessarilly for the whole of each month!)
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It's not just aerodynamics it's also gear ratios.
...and type of gear-box, both can make a huge difference. Some comparisons:

My previous Subaru Forester (2.5 turbo, 225 bhp) had a 4 speed auto, and returned 10l/100kms on a regular commute.

My Impreza (2.5 turbo, 265 bhp) had a 5 speed manual, and returned 9.5l on the same commute. Same engine as the Forester, tuned for greater power, but more economical.

I now use a Mercedes ML (3.5, 268 bhp) with a 7 speed auto gives me 10.5l.

Our F150 which has the new 6 speed auto, as opposed to the previous generations 4 speed, has improved hugely (same 5.4 V8) - 13l vs the 17l our previous truck achieved.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R I C H

My previous Subaru Forester (2.5 turbo, 225 bhp) had a 4 speed auto, and returned 10l/100kms on a regular commute.

My Impreza (2.5 turbo, 265 bhp) had a 5 speed manual, and returned 9.5l on the same commute.

Our F150 which has the new 6 speed auto, as opposed to the previous generations 4 speed, has improved hugely (same 5.4 V8) - 13l vs the 17l our previous truck achieved.
I have the Camry Hybrid with a CVT I consistantly get 6.3L/100kms and recently on a trip averaging around 90-100 kph 5.1L/100kms
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:46 pm
Pictou County Superstarā„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

We got the replacement Suzuki SX4 delivered to us yesterday, which, of course, is my recommendation to anyone who needs AWD and is happy with a reasonably well-equipped compact car.

It has a six speed box. Yes, my right arm is currently angry about this but that's just temporary (). It tells me it's currently averaging 7.2l/100km (although I've not driven it much but it was delivered from afar).

The last one, gawd rest it's soul, with five speed and a little bit less power averaged 8.4l/100km (as far as I remember).

Originally Posted by R I C H

My Impreza (2.5 turbo, 265 bhp) had a 5 speed manual, and returned 9.5l on the same commute. Same engine as the Forester, tuned for greater power, but more economical.

Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Never had - or have even driven an SUV since I came here 30 years ago.

In fact I drive a rear wheel drive English car year round!

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...nowyday002.jpg

That - or a motorbike!
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...nowyday003.jpg
I was under the impression that model of Jag was only AWD, it was only after the ford take over that , using the Mondeo platform, for the S type it became a FWD car, but i now assume the older ones were RWD

Either way back on Topic im a fan of the Toyota Highlander V6. As for the Sate fe - after using the father in laws V6 Sante Fe I was impressed by it.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:49 am
Ɖireann go BrĆ”ch

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 2.5 Suzuki Grand V. Never had a problem with it.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:43 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
I was under the impression that model of Jag was only AWD, it was only after the ford take over that , using the Mondeo platform, for the S type it became a FWD car, but i now assume the older ones were RWD
S Type was based on the DEW98 Rwd US D car platform. X-type was based on the Mondeo platform and as it was inconceivable for a Jag to be FWD it had to be AWD. All other Jags RWD.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

The 2010 Equinox has had better reviews than most SUVs. It doesn't drink as much petrol (gas for the Canadians) than the others.

I bought a Ford Escape a few weeks ago, not a bad SUV at all. I got a pretty good deal on it, otherwise I'd have gone for the Equinox.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
The 2010 Equinox has had better reviews than most SUVs. It doesn't drink as much petrol (gas for the Canadians) than the others.
The 2.4 AWD Equinox has identical fuel economy to the 2.4 AWD CR-V:

Equinox

CR-V
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget you pay tax on used as well as new vehicles...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Snave
Don't forget you pay tax on used as well as new vehicles...
I believe that's only if your buying from trade, if your buying privately no tax.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i had a 2008 Ford explorer..bit too big for my requirements and too thirtsy..now downsized to the 2010 Ford Edge..which is a crossover..i travel into the sticks alot so need AWD and some ground clearence in the winter..otherwise i would have stuck with an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series that i had in the UK.

Imports are more expensive to buy and own here so another reason against European cars...im not keen on North American vehicles..Dodge GMC Chrysler etc..so i opted for Ford as the most like European i could find.

I may look at the Tourag or Audi Q7 next time aorund if my pockets are deep enough and if im still here!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
I believe that's only if your buying from trade, if your buying privately no tax.
Not in Ontario... everyone pays the HST when they go to register the vehicle. Its calculated on the higher of the black book value or the price on the receipt too, so creative paperwork is no help.

Subaru legacy for me. Saw no point in paying extra for the Outbacks window dressing. So far we seem to average 8.0l/ 100km (30US mpg), not as good as my Civic, but fairly reasonable all things considered. Wish the diesel option was available here.

Really dont need the AWD in normal circumstances though.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 3rd 2010 at 7:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.