Choice of SUV

Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Choice of SUV

We have a Dodge Journey that we bought specifically because of the extra two seats in the trunk when we need them, and it has proved invaluable. Great for transporting the kids friends around or my parents when they visit from the UK. With the rear seats folded away there is loads of trunk space. We had a Vauxhall Zafira in the Uk and it is very similar to that in terms of versatillity.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:16 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

We've been looking at SUV's. Had a Santa Fe for a trip up north and it was very good and it pretty high on our list. Others we are considering are; Subaru Forrester, Subaru Outback (I've had a scooby before and rather like them), Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, and there's possibly another couple I'm forgetting.

I'll be blunt and say I'm keeping clear of domestic brands (ignoring the fact that some of the rising sun stuff is made here ), if push came to shove I might go with Ford, but anything GM like won't make it onto the list. Friends and family have had GM branded vehicles, both old and brand new and seem to have far more problems than their Japanese/Korean/European counterparts.

Go and test drive all of the ones you fancy, get brochures. Work out what model you want BEFORE you go and see the sleaseman, sorry, salesman. Don't get talked into additional things you don't need (though extended warranty might be something I'd consider)

When you have a shortlist, go and read up on them, have a look for forums relating to the cars, see if there are pros and cons, known issues, stuff like that. I joined a hyundai forum to read up on the Santa Fe to see what issues there may be. It could save you from getting a car and finding out there are known issues, but the manufacture does not want to own up to them, or will only acknowledge them if you raise the issue.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

DWUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi -
I'm in exactly the same position, looking for an SUV and due to land anytime soon.

The CRV is a great car, very highly regarded in North America and one which I personally had in the UK. Good car all round. Unlike in the UK they do not do the diesels nor the 2.0 petrol, instead they have the 2.2 petrol. Price wise working on the current exchange rate, the CRV is not cheap in Ontario, depending on which you are looking at the UK equivalent can work out cheaper!?! (Be careful because you have to pay extra for things like load covers (in the boot), fog lights etc). Plus if you are buying new (which is our preference) there is a new model on the horizon, possible 2011.

Alternatives..........
Hyundai Santa Fe - good car BUT unlike the UK no 7 seat option if thats important to you, for this you have to go to the Vera Cruz (which is serious money for a Hyundai). If you like Hyundai's I liked the look of the Hyundai Tucson (the 2011 model is basically the Hyundai ix35 which is on sale in the UK). But again money wise the UK does work cheaper, and again, no diesel, and not as efficient as the UK petrol equivalents - they dropped a larger engine in there.

Chevrolet Equinox - this one is new and looks the part, good value for money and has got decent write ups everywhere (I think they build this in Toronto). A good versatile and good looking 5 seater. If you want larger try the 8 seater Chevrolet Traverse. My only hold out is I'm dubious on the build quality, I will need to land and check it out a bit, before finalising any decision.

Volvo XC60 - yes a bit more money, but apparently the safest car on the planet. Good looking and good to drive.

But my fave - the Audi Q5. Yes top of the tree for mini SUV's but drives well and doing the sums, does actually work out on par with the UK and in some instances a little cheaper.

Up and coming............
The new Kia Sportage
The new BMW X3
The new baby Range Rover

Hope this adds some cars to your list
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

We have an outlander and its really good.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

SUV's - traditional 'body-on-frame' types at any rate - can be a bit like big kid's Tonka Toys. The more modern ones are more like a minivan in terms of handling as they have the car-like monocoque construction.

I picked up a Chevrolet Suburban, from a seller on Oshawa, - all 20', V8 engined, 6.5 liter diesel powered, 4x4 big truck toyness of it - because I always wanted a Tonka toy, having had a deprived childhood (sniff )
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Never had - or have even driven an SUV since I came here 30 years ago.

In fact I drive a rear wheel drive English car year round!

That - or a motorbike!

Last edited by triumphguy; Aug 1st 2010 at 6:27 am.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

dippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant future

Get a Grand Jeep Cherokee...... always hire one when I visit Canada.... own one in the UK and it does exactly what it says on the tin! Stick to North American vehicles for best all round value..... in my opinion. By the way I've owned Range Rover's and Discovery's new and older and to be honest the Jeep has been the most reliable and we get quite bad winters here in Scotland so it does need to deliver in poor conditions.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

dippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant futuredippy has a brilliant future

Clearing the driveway last winter!
Attached Thumbnails Choice of SUV-p1010685.jpg   Choice of SUV-p1010733.jpg  
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:35 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dippy
Get a Grand Jeep Cherokee...... always hire one when I visit Canada.... own one in the UK and it does exactly what it says on the tin! Stick to North American vehicles for best all round value..... in my opinion. By the way I've owned Range Rover's and Discovery's new and older and to be honest the Jeep has been the most reliable and we get quite bad winters here in Scotland so it does need to deliver in poor conditions.
By contrast I've two Jeep Liberty's here in Canada and the build quality has been absolutely awful. In fact rather similar to Land Rover's I've also driven, the most recently being my sisters Disco 3 back in the UK last month. A GBP 40k vehicle where the drivers screenwash and one of the passenger windows doesn't work? Splendid.

The only reason to buy a GC, and it would have to be a used one at that, would be to get one with the 3.0 CRD diesel engine as it was one of the very few NA sold SUV's with diesel.

My current SUV is a 2005 Suzuki XL7 which for $10k or so has proved good value thus far. It has tons of room, is not too bad on gas and tows the trailer/quad OK. It can be had in 7 seater form. For a new 7 seater SUV I'd look at the Honda Pilot.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:40 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dippy
We had a Jeep Cherokee one year, I didn't like the way it felt in the snow.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:54 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Never had - or have even driven an SUV since I came here 30 years ago.

In fact I drive a rear wheel drive English car year round!
Is that an X-type? Aren't they 4WD or is that only the 3.0? How have you found it? I have a vague thought of buying one when I get around to replacing the Del Sol! (Damn thing is so reliable I'm never going to allowed to get anything new)
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The only reason to buy a GC, and it would have to be a used one at that, would be to get one with the 3.0 CRD diesel engine as it was one of the very few NA sold SUV's with diesel.
+1 We test drove a GC when shopping for an SUV and liked the diesel engine, but the build quality was generally very poor. The 3,000km demo we tried already had obvious wear and tear issues and plenty of squeaks and rattles.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I love my RAV4, it's more of a large car than a SUV. The recall thing didn't help their image much but this is a great excuse to get out of speeding tickets.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It has not a lot to do with what engine is in one. It's more to do with the transmission and final drive ratios that will affect your mileage.
I had always assumed that the greater the CCs the lower the MPGs.

One lives and learns.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 6:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I had always assumed that the greater the CCs the lower the MPGs.

One lives and learns.
That's stating the obvious but the same displacement engine in a car will get much better mpg than one in an SUV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.