Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Childrens dental fees

Wikiposts

Childrens dental fees

Old Oct 10th 2011, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all
Default Childrens dental fees

Hi I was just wondering how much this would have cost me in ontario.
My little boy (who'll be 3 next week), fell over onto his mouth with his dummy in and his front tooth has gone back up into his gum!! it makes me shudder to think about it poor little man He is however fine and only cried for 10 minutes brave little solider xx

I took him down to our local A and E as our dentists don't run Sat or Sun, and i couldent get through to out of hours.
They had a look at him and they said it will just come back out and just keep it clean and keep an eye on it. I then booked him into the dentist today for next week so they can make sure it is going the way it should, (good mum I am)

All this of course hasent cost me a penny but it did make me wonder how much it would have set us back over there x
I understand we can get a dental plan and health insurance but does it cover all of it or will we have to part fund?

Thanks in advance Kirsty x
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:22 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens dental fees

Originally Posted by kirstybowles
Hi I was just wondering how much this would have cost me in ontario.
My little boy (who'll be 3 next week), fell over onto his mouth with his dummy in and his front tooth has gone back up into his gum!! it makes me shudder to think about it poor little man He is however fine and only cried for 10 minutes brave little solider xx

I took him down to our local A and E as our dentists don't run Sat or Sun, and i couldent get through to out of hours.
They had a look at him and they said it will just come back out and just keep it clean and keep an eye on it. I then booked him into the dentist today for next week so they can make sure it is going the way it should, (good mum I am)

All this of course hasent cost me a penny but it did make me wonder how
much it would have set us back over there x
I understand we can get a dental plan and health insurance but does it cover all of it or will we have to part fund?

Thanks in advance Kirsty x
In Ontario there is nothing charged for work in a hospital. It is covered by the Provincial health plan. If you took him to a dentist and had an employer dental plan you would likely pay 20% of the cost.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
In Ontario there is nothing charged for work in a hospital. It is covered by the Provincial health plan. If you took him to a dentist and had an employer dental plan you would likely pay 20% of the cost.
Thankyou for that x
Old Oct 10th 2011, 6:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Wholly depends on the plan though doesn't it.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have extended health any dental work is pay as you go and not cheap. Extended health plans, private or through employer cover 100 to 80%, depended on options selected, major dental is 50/50 on all plans.

Even if you go to a hospital for emergency work, after the quick fix, all else would be done by a dentist and determined by any coverage you have. Private plans often have a one to two year waiting period for major dental work, although they still take the premium off of you. Company plans usually have a three month waiting period before you go on the plan.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Even if you go to a hospital for emergency work, after the quick fix, all else would be done by a dentist and determined by any coverage you have. Private plans often have a one to two year waiting period for major dental work, although they still take the premium off of you. Company plans usually have a three month waiting period before you go on the plan.
great, better wrap him in bubble wrap from now on then lol
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

great, better wrap him in bubble wrap from now on then lol
If I have bought a years travel insurance should I still get private health care for the year or two I'm there if my job doesn't give it? Or is there some kinda nhs set up for UK people because when Canadians come to the UK they'll get to use the nhs? I know it works like that for australians
Old Oct 10th 2011, 3:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If I have bought a years travel insurance should I still get private health care for the year or two I'm there if my job doesn't give it? Or is there some kinda nhs set up for UK people because when Canadians come to the UK they'll get to use the nhs? I know it works like that for australians
Travel insurance will not cover you once your journey ends and you take up residency (other than Bunac Insurance I believe). Once you become resident you apply for provincial healthcare, in some provinces there is a 3 month waiting period, you should cover this privately. Dental is only covered by private extended or pay as you go. There is no special provision for anyone coming from other countries.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Aviator
Travel insurance will not cover you once your journey ends and you take up residency (other than Bunac Insurance I believe). Once you become resident you apply for provincial healthcare, in some provinces there is a 3 month waiting period, you should cover this privately. Dental is only covered by private extended or pay as you go. There is no special provision for anyone coming from other countries.
Does iec count as residencey? I've looked up quotes and a lot of places do year travel insurance.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 1:16 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Wholly depends on the plan though doesn't it.
True, If the plan has "accidental dental" then usually its covered at 100%

I had about $4ks worth of crowns etc done at no expense to me after I came off my bike.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Do Canadians get to use the NHS? Only under insurance. There is no reciprocal health care agreement between Canada and the UK.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/...s-with-social/
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
True, If the plan has "accidental dental" then usually its covered at 100%

I had about $4ks worth of crowns etc done at no expense to me after I came off my bike.
That's true. At my work, dental and health benefits are provided by different insurance companies. When work on your teeth is required as a result of an accident as what happens to your poor little guy, the claim goes to the health insurance company, not the dental one. 100 % covered for me
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou for all your replies x