Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

child care and child benefit

child care and child benefit

Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

debsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nice
Default Re: child care and child benefit

Originally Posted by iaink
If you have a kid and no income dont you think its kind of important to know where you stand.

we have funds and excellent job prospects, our daughter was on the application prior to pregnancy, we are just curious that once we are out there
would she be entitled to any child benefit or help with childcare initially (temporary) untill she finds a job, because the baby willl be less than 1 year old when we go she obviously would like time to be a mother example maybe un till the baby is about 18 months........., we had curiosity hence why we asked on this forum, "to find out where we stand"

Last edited by debsi1380; Jul 21st 2010 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

debsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nicedebsi1380 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The overriding question is can you add a grandchild to your application?

Edit; I've looked and family members can include the dependent child of a dependent child. So that's good.
thanku for that that confirms the advice from our attorny

debbie
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked and family members can include the dependent child of a dependent child. So that's good.
Good to know someone can find their way around the labyrinthine CIC site... I tried and failed.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jericho
I'm all in favour of people applying for stuff that they're eligible for, but these are the kind of questions that get people in the UK so riled up about "immigrants".

I find it a bit distasteful when people are asking about benefits etc before they even arrive.
i appreciate your way of thinking and i absolutely agree with you, however in reality as it is extremely likely we will be accepted for our pr we needed to raise the question as we dont have everlasting money, and untill she gains employment we wondered what she may be able to get to assist her prior to employment while the baby would be so young. we have never claimed benefits in this country and are not the type to "sponge" if it has to be us then so be it but we still need to be aware of what is available or NOT available within the area and country we will live. if we went out there blind and oblivious we would be very foolish
debbie
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

We've been in the same situation with daughters new baby. We had to wait until baby was born and have consent form filled in. But to get around this we did not add the fathers name on the birth certificate, act ignorant. Once filled in we then added the Grandchild as an addition, sent forms off and waited for the medical process. Didn't take long and the medical was nothing to worry about. Although I think this has slowed up our application.

If the daughter is still at home with baby then you have no worries about the children being dependant on your application. Once the daughter leaves home then this is questionable.

We had our medicals between Jan/April '10 and still waiting!!! A little worrying.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Hi

We've been in the same situation with daughters new baby. We had to wait until baby was born and have consent form filled in. But to get around this we did not add the fathers name on the birth certificate, act ignorant. Once filled in we then added the Grandchild as an addition, sent forms off and waited for the medical process. Didn't take long and the medical was nothing to worry about. Although I think this has slowed up our application.

If the daughter is still at home with baby then you have no worries about the children being dependant on your application. Once the daughter leaves home then this is questionable.

We had our medicals between Jan/April '10 and still waiting!!! A little worrying.
thanks for that information, in our case the father wants his name on the birth certificate, he is in the british army and thinks he can get posted out to canada or join the canadian army at some point, i havent got a clue about that but as long as he signs that form thats all i am concerned with
ps have you chased the medicals up because from what ive always heard once the medicals had taken place its usually only 3-4 mnths b4 visa granted, but then im just hearing that off others

debbie
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debsi1380
thanks for that information, in our case the father wants his name on the birth certificate, he is in the british army and thinks he can get posted out to canada or join the canadian army at some point, i havent got a clue about that but as long as he signs that form thats all i am concerned with
ps have you chased the medicals up because from what ive always heard once the medicals had taken place its usually only 3-4 mnths b4 visa granted, but then im just hearing that off others

debbie
Does it mean that if she is in a relationship she is no longer a dependent? Doesn't this mean that she has a common law partner if he wants his name on the certificate and is going to follow to Canada, also should be capable of supporting the baby himself. I'm guessing that for your daughter and child to be eligible then he needs not to have his name on the certificate.

Last edited by fledermaus; Jul 21st 2010 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Does it mean that if she is in a relationship she is no longer a dependent?
From the CIC site:

Dependent children

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner

etc...
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iaink
From the CIC site:

Dependent children

A son or daughter is dependent when the child:

is under the age of 22 and does not have a spouse or common-law partner

etc...
Exactly and one of the criteria for common law partner was having a child together.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Hi

Good that you got the consent

My daughter also got involved with gentleman from US Airforce got VERY complicated but all turned out for the better, kind off! Long, long story. How kids change everything So wished application didn't take soooo long.

Anyway, baby now 7 months old and will need to take him on as our own for some years, or until she marries someone. I'm thinking for her to study in Canada and we'll share the child-care responsibilities. I knew there was limitation for help with child-care/benefits. Just wait until you get there and then work it all out, something will get sorted. Give yourself time to settle, meet people and get her to connect with other mums. Don't worry too much about the finance side for now. One step at a time.

There's no way to chase up PR applications. The doctor confirmed medicals have all been sent to London. I think there's a delay probably because they're checking out on everything.

Angela
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

This is one of the reasons why we didn't name the father. But I suppose you could put the fathers name down, then get consent sorted but say they're not in a relationship??

Angela
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Hi

This is one of the reasons why we didn't name the father. But I suppose you could put the fathers name down, then get consent sorted but say they're not in a relationship??

Angela
AS LONG AS ITS ACTUALLY TRUE!!!

If on the other hand they are in a spousal relationship then all bets are off. CIC arent chumps, and they do investigate before PR is granted.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm sure they do!

Anyway they still can say no to the daughter/Grandchild but grant PR to main applicant and spouse.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I'm sure they do!

Anyway they still can say no to the daughter/Grandchild but grant PR to main applicant and spouse.
Or (more likely) if the information on your application is found to be false or misleading the whole application may be refused, you may be refused entry to Canada or you may be deported from Canada after you arrive.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

I'm sure they do!

It doesn't sound like they would want to go without them.

I know they haven't asked this and it really is none of my business but unless the child's father is willing to support the child properly then his name does not go on the certificate. I wouldn't even do it initially- I think you have time to add him at a later date. I would definitely not add his name until he had signed to say he didn't mind the child leaving the country. Solicitors need to be involved if he is named as the father.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.