Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

child care and child benefit

child care and child benefit

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child care and child benefit

Originally Posted by London Mike
Sorry to cadge in on this one - my wife applied to CRA for child tax benefit even though I sponsored her under family class where it says "she should not claim for social support" for 3 years. We ummed and ahhed about whether we were allowed to claim for child benefit but went for it anyway coz our kids are Cdn citizens and the guidelines were very vague about what social support actually meant (and nothing in the guidelines for child tax benefit stated we couldn't as a new resident).

Couldn't get hold of anyone at CIC or CRA to discuss this, but presume they'll just decline us if we're not entitled? Should we try harder to 'come clean'?

Thanks!
Both my kids were born in Canada while I was a PR (FWIW my OH is Canadian), I don't think you're doing anything wrong I received maternity benefit (EI) and child tax benefit. Hopefully someone else will know a few more details.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think cos the majority of the child benefits are tied to the taxation system they are not seen as a case of welfare...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I think cos the majority of the child benefits are tied to the taxation system they are not seen as a case of welfare...
But i don't want to subsidise those who decide they want children, yet cannot afford to run them, or simply take the credit "cos it's there"

I wouldn't mind so much if those with children were charged an environmental tax, of which increased when more children arrived in the household.

That said, these bloody credits had better be available if and when i have kids.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But i don't want to subsidise those who decide they want children, yet cannot afford to run them, or simply take the credit "cos it's there"

I wouldn't mind so much if those with children were charged an environmental tax, of which increased when more children arrived in the household.

That said, these bloody credits had better be available if and when i have kids.
And just who do you think will be paying for your state pension and health care when the time comes Thats right, my kids

There is an environmental tax on kids that increases as more arrive, its called the HST and its applies to nearly every bloody bit of crap you have to buy for them
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

And just who do you think will be paying for your state pension and health care when the time comes Thats right, my kids
And so they bloody well should. At least i'll get some of my tax credit costs back.

There is an environmental tax on kids that increases as more arrive, its called the HST and its applies to nearly every bloody bit of crap you have to buy for them
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

oh yes, not only what you "have" to buy but also what they think they "really need" lol
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by debsi1380
thanks for your words, in our situation the father has one sister in the uk no other family member alive o in the uk, regarding him seeing the child, he presumeshe can be reloated via the army at some pint in the future, does ne1 know anything about that??
I know the British Army sends its tank jockeys for field training at a location between Calgary & Medicine Hat. I forget the name of the location - I sure somebody will know it? AFAIK, the postings were for no longer than a few months at a time although I stand to be corrected? I used to work with many ex army people who were once based there.

Unless you folks are going to be located in the Calgary area, the chance of him spending any time with his child whilst based in Canada are remote.

Slightly off topic, but a quote relayed by a friend who is a Sergeant in The Medicine Hat City Police - There's more than a few Children of single Mums in the Medicine Hat area who could well be entitled to a British Passport.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by castra
I know the British Army sends its tank jockeys for field training at a location between Calgary & Medicine Hat. I forget the name of the location - I sure somebody will know it?
BATUS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Suffield
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I know the British Army sends its tank jockeys for field training at a location between Calgary & Medicine Hat. I forget the name of the location - I sure somebody will know it? AFAIK, the postings were for no longer than a few months at a time although I stand to be corrected? I used to work with many ex army people who were once based there.

Unless you folks are going to be located in the Calgary area, the chance of him spending any time with his child whilst based in Canada are remote.

Slightly off topic, but a quote relayed by a friend who is a Sergeant in The Medicine Hat City Police - There's more than a few Children of single Mums in the Medicine Hat area who could well be entitled to a British Passport.
Suffield - British Army Training Unit Suffield the famous BATUS
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Nothings a guarantee in life!!!!!!! Crazy Dudes!!

And I'm sure many people have made discission that was not quite the 'Right Thing' to do. Sometimes choices can be limiting and perhaps damaging.

Honesty is not always the best policy in many, many cases!!!

We all have it in us to lie, whoever you are!!!!

There's good and bad here and Canada, or all over the world. The world is a crazy place what with all the:

'Red Tape', 'Rules', 'Regulations', 'Policies', 'Fakes', 'War', 'Famine', 'Taxations', and of coz 'Immigration'. Etc,etc........ I'm sure more can be added with you guys.

Anyway, I'm sure the family will work it all out and life will be JUST fine!!!

DONT WORRY!

Best Of Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Nothings a guarantee in life!!!!!!! Crazy Dudes!!

And I'm sure many people have made discission that was not quite the 'Right Thing' to do. Sometimes choices can be limiting and perhaps damaging.

Honesty is not always the best policy in many, many cases!!!

We all have it in us to lie, whoever you are!!!!

There's good and bad here and Canada, or all over the world. The world is a crazy place what with all the:

'Red Tape', 'Rules', 'Regulations', 'Policies', 'Fakes', 'War', 'Famine', 'Taxations', and of coz 'Immigration'. Etc,etc........ I'm sure more can be added with you guys.

Anyway, I'm sure the family will work it all out and life will be JUST fine!!!

DONT WORRY!

Best Of Luck
You tell yourself whatever you have to
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Equally, there are a fair few laydeez from Medicine Hat who have been hurriedly married off and shipped to the UK or Germany as accompanying baggage. Indeed there are nuptials of this sort not infrequently. (I'm loving that this fact was divulged by the cops though - I think anyone who heads to Ralph's in battlegroup season could have worked that one out by themselves )

I just can't decide if they are the lucky ones or not...

Anyway, yes, BATUS (clearly being cagey doesn't work round here) but there are also a few jobs in Wainwright and the odd (very odd) job elsewhere. Calgary has a couple of ATLO posts, and there may possibly be some green jobs in Goose Bay or Gander with the RAF, but couldn't swear to it.

In any case, I'm still baffled why a bloke who doesn't intend to support his child (let alone partner) might want to follow her around the world whilst not doing so.

Last edited by debbiem; Jul 23rd 2010 at 10:53 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbiem
(I'm loving that this fact was divulged by the cops though - I think anyone who heads to Ralph's in battlegroup season could have worked that one out by themselves )
By a spooky coincidence, the above 'revelation' by the cop was actually over dinner in Ralphs one night! The 'antics' of some army personnel when on weekend leave was the subject of discussion given the establishment we were in.

Another story he mentioned. Its Police policy to put any drunken soldier they pick up into a cab, pay for the cab back to the base then the army reimburse the Medicine Hat police or something?! (I think I heard the story correct?) It was a few years back. Sounds a cosy arrangement if true?
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

littlebob is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived in Vancouver in April with a 2 year old and a 6 week old. I applied for Canada Child Tax Benefit and have just received my first payment. It takes a few months to process so get the forms in as soon as you land! I believe everyone with a child under 5 is eligible. It is 100 dollars per child per month so it helps a bit We got forms at the airport but you can also print directly from the CCTB website (type in on google.ca)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.