Reload this Page >

Child Benefit / Allowance etc

Child Benefit / Allowance etc

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough
Default Child Benefit / Allowance etc

Hi,

Does anyone know whether permanent residents are entitled to an equivalent to Child allowance available to all families in the UK?

Is there even such a thing in Canada? and if there is, is it means tested?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

meanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant futuremeanjock has a brilliant future
Default Re: Child Benefit / Allowance etc

Yes you are as long you have your PR card.Theres acouple you can get checkout the link . http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/menu-eng.html
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 2:42 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know whether permanent residents are entitled to an equivalent to Child allowance available to all families in the UK?

Is there even such a thing in Canada? and if there is, is it means tested?
It is Child Tax Benefit, based on income, the more you earn the less you get.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The BE Wiki article called Family and Child Benefits-Canada makes the following observation:
Note that, because the amount of the benefit to which you are entitled is based on your family's income in the previous year, newly arrived British expats typically do not receive much in the way of CCTB [Canadian Child Tax Benefit]. When your British income from the previous year is converted into Canadian dollars, it makes you look as if you belong to a high income bracket. In the year following your arrival in Canada, when you will have been earning a Canadian income, your earnings are more likely to fall within Canadian norms.
Also, while you've asked your question in the context of a PR, other readers may be interested to know that work permit holders are eligible for CCTB after eighteen months.
x
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

I learnt if you choose not to use the school bus and decide to do the school runs yourself you get some money from the govt? is that true?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady View Post
I learnt if you choose not to use the school bus and decide to do the school runs yourself you get some money from the govt? is that true?
Not heard about that one - Be interested to find out, I think it is unlikely though. In this day and age of reducing pollution, it seems unlikely that the govt. is going to encourage car use when the bus is available.

Where do you learn this?

It seems for the Calgary School Board, bus riders have to pay http://www.cbe.ab.ca/transportation/registration.asp

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Aug 3rd 2008 at 3:49 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Thanks folks.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

A friend who lives in calgary told me, maybe I heard wrongly, I will confirm from her.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi

we are in Ontario....and we applied for universal child benefit one we had been here for 19 months on work permits. We received the first payment in July. They are going to issue a back dated payment from March based on our UK salary...which will probably not be a lot...once the pound changes into dollars!!!

Every little bit helps though

Pete
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

I completed the forms which we received as part of our immigration pack. Just got my CCTB approval................$20 per month!!