Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit allowance

Child Benefit allowance

Old May 23rd 2018, 6:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit allowance

Originally Posted by samb29
I understand you are posting and trying to help but please read what I am writing, and do not state that I a deluded when I am clearly doing research.
You are going to do just fine here!
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Again I'd have to reach out to Calgary parents especially and ask what the childcare costs are that they pay for Nursery/Afterschool/Holiday Club
I have no idea about child care costs but I do remember reading posters saying they've never been able to get their kids registered with the cheaper ones and that the ones with vacancies were always a fair bit more expensive.

Perhaps this accounts for higher costs experienced.
Old May 23rd 2018, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I have no idea about child care costs but I do remember reading posters saying they've never been able to get their kids registered with the cheaper ones and that the ones with vacancies were always a fair bit more expensive.

Perhaps this accounts for higher costs experienced.
Yes I agree waiting times could be a issue, and expect there are more expensive ones than I have researched, but I wouldn't expect the price difference to be double to what I have researched. I think child care is expensive in most major cities around the world, and I could understand if I was paying low child care fees in the UK but I am not.

Thanks for you comments tho
Old May 23rd 2018, 8:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you actually read my post, these costs are PER CHILD I am quoting in Canada and the UK. I have one child in School, and 1 Child that is 3. Are all these day cares lying on their websites? I have never said that child care is cheap in Cnada or the UK.

I have said that after reading your link, looking at daycares in NW Calgary it is no dearer than I pay in the UK just now it is comparable. Certainly no where near double which was suggested.

The image you attached states Calgary child care a year is $12900 (if that figure is full time) then works out at $49 a day, if I paid full time for my 1 child in nursery at his current UK nursery it would cost me £13000 ($22000k) which is more like Toronto fees, I am looking at Calgary

I understand you are posting and trying to help but please read what I am writing, and do not state that I a deluded when I am clearly doing research.

At NO time did say you were deluded.

Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't say please! I have read what you are writing and I already said that I was glad to see you doing due diligence.

I'll leave you to it.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do bear in mind that prices for child care are PER CHILD ... the younger they are the more expensive it tends to be.

Costs for childcare in Canada are not cheap - don't delude yourself into thinking it's going to be cheaper here, please.
Old May 24th 2018, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

I heard back from a couple of the daycare's that I contacted that did not display their fees on their website and fee's were the same as the ones I had posted earlier on.

Thanks again for all the posts, and again I think the only thing left for me to ask is that if any families living in Calgary stumble across this post if they would be kind enough to comment on their experiences with childcare fee's and benefits.

Thanks
Old May 24th 2018, 9:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Might also be worth having another read of your husband's previous posts on the subject, iirc he had some good answers about childcare and benefits previously to add to your info gathering.

HTH.