Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Child Benefit allowance

Child Benefit allowance

Old May 20th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default Child Benefit allowance

Hi

Looking for some information on child care, child benefit types of payments that I would be entitled to in Canada (Calgary).

In the UK our joint family income is £50k 1 x FT and 1 x PT, we use child care vouchers through work, not a huge saving but saves a little. The only other payment we get is £137 a month which is child benefit (2 Kids 6 & 3)

I have a potential job offer at $65-70k (I am citizen) we would hope jointly to bring in $90-100k.

Any ideas what payments would be received with either 1 FT on 65-70k and 1 not working or jointly 1 FT and 1 PT on $90k

I found an online calculator which suggested 1 FT on 65-70k $ 6790 ($566 p/m) and jointly 1 FT and 1 PT on $90k would be $5650 ($470.83 p/m) a year tax free does this seem accurate?

Thanks
Old May 20th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Benefit allowance

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-your-ccb.html
Basic benefit for July 2016 to June 2018

We calculate the Canada child benefit (CCB) as follows:
  • $6,400 per year ($533.33 per month) for each eligible child under the age of six
  • $5,400 per year ($450.00 per month) for each eligible child aged 6 to 17
We start to reduce the amount of CCB you get when your adjusted family net income (AFNI) is over $30,000. The reduction is calculated as follows:
  • families with one eligible child: the reduction is 7% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 3.2% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
  • families with two eligible children: the reduction is 13.5% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 5.7% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
  • families with three eligible children: the reduction is 19% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 8% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
  • families with four or more eligible children: the reduction is 23% of the amount of AFNI between $30,000 and $65,000, plus 9.5% of the amount of AFNI over $65,000
It is based on line 236 of the previous tax return. So the calculation for the July 2018 - June 2019 benefit year is based on line 236 of the 2017 tax return.
Old May 20th 2018, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Thanks for the link, just having a look at it, and trying some figures

So I entered Net income then it asks for working income I presume this is before Tax i.e Gross?

It states a figure of $8322 per year for my set up (that was on $93k joint income)
Old May 20th 2018, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samb29
Thanks for the link, just having a look at it, and trying some figures

So I entered Net income then it asks for working income I presume this is before Tax i.e Gross?

It states a figure of $8322 per year for my set up (that was on $93k joint income)
Interesting...we live in BC and it only asks for net income, not working income. When I change it to Alberta I see the working income and the ? beside it gives a list of what is included as working income.
Old May 20th 2018, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah I had a look at the explanations to the side but still not very clear to me. I have taken this to mean all expected income outwidth your salary.

If anyone can help confirm what this means that would be fantastic.

either way for now if I put my working income as my gross 70k or 0k it makes no difference the figure is the same for child benefit!
Old May 20th 2018, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

NOTE:- I do not know what this means in terms of how much the benefit will be, but the following site has an advisory notice heading the Overview Page

EDIT:- Just seen on another site that they are going to be indexed to inflation a couple of years ahead of schedule.

Notice to the reader

Proposed changes to Canada child benefit payments are expected in July 2018, based on the Fall Economic Update.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-overview.html
Old May 20th 2018, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to Canada Revenue site and use the available 2017 tax forms...use your expected gross salaries and then..Claim on line 236 the result of the amount from line 150 minus the total of the allowable deductions claimed on lines 207 through 235...that is net income. There is no joint tax return in canada..so do it for each of you. Add the total of the 2 net incomes and use that to calculate your benefit. Net income is pretax.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I had a look at the explanations to the side but still not very clear to me. I have taken this to mean all expected income outwidth your salary.

If anyone can help confirm what this means that would be fantastic.

either way for now if I put my working income as my gross 70k or 0k it makes no difference the figure is the same for child benefit!

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...e-alberta.html

I'd suggest using the official calculator as if you were claiming for 2017's tax year and guestimating your net income. https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/icbc...t_locale=en_CA - this is for both Federal Child Benefit and Provincial. It will also tell you of any other benefits you may be able to claim (once you have submitted a tax return).

Working income explanation:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...alculator.html

Last edited by Siouxie; May 21st 2018 at 3:59 am.
Old May 21st 2018, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, I will have a read over, just trying to look for an approx guesstimate so hopefully once I can review in full the figure will be about the same $8k which I did using this arc.gc.ca/ebci/icbc...t_locale=en_CA -

Last edited by samb29; May 21st 2018 at 8:53 am.
Old May 21st 2018, 2:06 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will have a read over, just trying to look for an approx guesstimate so hopefully once I can review in full the figure will be about the same $8k which I did using this arc.gc.ca/ebci/icbc...t_locale=en_CA -
If you are coming anyway, does it really matter that much? When I came, packed up belongings, packed them on an airplane and came over, figured the rest out as I went along.
Old May 21st 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, it does matter. We have two young children, and childcare, activities and bills will need to be paid. We need to ensure that before we make such a move, that we will be able to maintain the standard of lifestyle we currently have in the UK. If it had just been myself and my husband, then yes, we could just get on a plane and come over, but its not as simple as it was back then
Old May 21st 2018, 3:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it does matter. We have two young children, and childcare, activities and bills will need to be paid. We need to ensure that before we make such a move, that we will be able to maintain the standard of lifestyle we currently have in the UK. If it had just been myself and my husband, then yes, we could just get on a plane and come over, but its not as simple as it was back then

Don't forget the additional costs of moving over, initial rental charges / flights, shipping / furnishings etc / or house purchase.. it all adds up!

If you can afford for one of you to stay at home then there won't be any child care costs during school holidays and before/ after school etc., or if you have relatives or friends in the area, could you ask them or 'child care share' perhaps? You could even start a private child care facility without too much difficulty, if you needed to increase your income, perhaps. The High Cost of Childcare in Calgary | Kidsu - some other information that may be useful - Child Care - Alberta Human Services - Government of Alberta - and lastly, a cheaper alternative by Alberta Govt. : https://www.alberta.ca/early-learnin...e-centres.aspx

This may help financially
Stay-at-Home Parents Support

Eligible families who have one parent who stays at home or works, volunteers or attends school less than 20 hours per week may qualify for a subsidy of up to $1,200 per year for each pre-school-aged child who attends a licensed pre-school or an approved early childhood development program. To learn more about applying for stay-at-home parent support, please see the Child Care Subsidy page.
They probably won't get into the 'expensive' activities until they are older (you only say they are very young)

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener - and if you have a good set-up where you are, with a reasonable standard of living and aren't struggling, (and are happy in general) then perhaps this isn't the time to move to Canada permanently? Is there any point in moving over at this time if you are going to struggle financially.. or perhaps you could wait until the children are older so the child care costs etc., would be reduced - one of you could secure a more lucrative position and you can see the standard of life you want to maintain not slipping away due to financial constraints? Basically, if you can't afford to have the lifestyle you feel you want to maintain without relying on Government Subsidies (which you won't qualify for for at least a year, most likely), then perhaps you either need to find a better paid job, accept that your lifestyle WILL change - as it does for 99% of people who move abroad - or defer the move?

Just a thought.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 21st 2018 at 3:46 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I have taken into account costings of making the move. I am not including child benefit payments into my day to day living. I do not include these in the UK either. Its just good to know what is available to help, prob more so starting off in a new adventure.

We would hope to have the same set up here as in canada

We bring in jointly around £50k, and my potential job offer is going to be $70k I expect $100k to be the same standard of living as my UK joint income of £50k. One of us work FT and one PT (2 Days a week), we use child care for 1 child Full time 2 days, the other is at school and uses after school care (2 Days).

Holidays we work it out between clubs and holidays.

I have set aside £14k top up salary for the first year, £15k savings fund to deal with unexpected issues, £15k for a car, £3K for shipping, £1-2K Visa, parents paying flights out and £100k for a house deposit

The aim is my potential job offer to pay $70k and my partner to work PT 2 days a week. same set up there as we have here

Without a job offer we will not be making the move at this stage

Last edited by samb29; May 21st 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 4:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have set aside £14k top up salary for the first year, £15k savings fund to deal with unexpected issues, £15k for a car, £3K for shipping, £1-2K Visa, parents paying flights out and £100k for a house deposit
This thread has some useful figures in, including things you may not have thought of - cost of moving to canada
Old May 21st 2018, 4:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why was it more simple 'back then'? It is just taking a chance and figuring it out. I have a buddy who came with $20 in his pocket, he now runs several businesses and is doing quite nicely. Many people don't achieve the same standard of living as soon as they arrive, it takes several years to get back there. This is part of what goes with immigration and the risk that goes with it. If maintaining the same standard of living is important, maybe another part of the UK would be a wiser choice? Everyone has bills that need to be paid, activities they would like to do, some may have to be forgone for a while to get back on ones feet. Many come here with children and just get on with it, most seem to have done just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.