Child abuse?

Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child abuse?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I take on board gryphea's point about the school my kids attended, and the general 'oil family-ness' of the area, but in my opinion, that's what makes it worse... I could perhaps understand telling disadvantaged kids that they're all as good as everyone else, but I'm talking about a bunch of solidly middle-class kids from relatively privileged homes, with allegedly well educated and ambitious parents.

It's almost as if the school is encouraging the kids to absolve for their advantages by trying to out-nice each other. Instead of telling the kids how hard work and determination breeds success, they're told that there are no losers and we're all the same. Canada seems to think that there's no such thing as too humble.
WE went to a meeting lasy year about how the schools wil teach the new maths curriculem. It was headed by the CBE lady in charge of maths. She proudly told us maths was no longer a right answer sport. I asked if she could tell that to the CRA.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
But it doesn't make sense because their perfomance at winter olympics is outstanding.

I don't really understand your position at all. You celebrate all winners (i get that) but when anyone on here asks about Vancuver's schools and dares to mention they want a good one, you come all over mediocre on them and state all schools are the same. Why is celebrating 1st place a good thing, when asking for good schools a bad thing?

My daughter will not be a world leader; but that doesn't mean she can't reach her full potential or that I don't want her to. I believe she is encouraged to reach her full potential more here. However my son is more like Jing's experience here in school.
My opinion on lower mainland schools with the odd district as an exception, is that they all do a fairly decent, although not outstanding, job and one school and district is not that much different than the rest. Consequently, its pointless asking which school is the best as it doesn't matter that much as they're all very similar in quality. The majority of teachers that I've met are professional, well educated/trained and conscientious, the problem lies with the overarching ethos of conservative mediocrity.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In a class of 30 there can only be one winner. Why put the other 29 down?

A schools job is to encourage and enable all the kids to reach their full potential and to do the best they can. Only one will be top, but as long as all the others reach their potential then its doing its job.

Kids have plenty of time before they become adults and have to face adult realities. Let them be kids, in time they will figure out the other stuff anyway. There is no need to hurry them into pidgeon holes as winners and losers.

Besides there are plenty of sporting and extra curricular activities where its perfectly clear that the aim is to win. But the aim of these sports and activities is as much to teach kids to try their best, have respect for others and to learn to win and loose with equal good grace as it is to win at all costs. That is really what life is about.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So if you live here and Canada is generally crap, does that make you a loser for living here as long as you have?

No the opposite, as its like fishing with dynamite here.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you dont think the average canadian parent is up for encouraging their kid to win, then you need to spend more time at your local arena!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gryphea
Wasn't it all slightly personal when you suggested we were abusing our kids?

Or is your tongue in cheek humour OK, but mine not?

I didn't read it as a personal at all....it was a question asking a general question.....I think its child abuse having kids and doing nothing with them...I was a child of RAF parentage.....I moved schools almost yearly up and down the UK.....lived in Scotland, Wales and all over most of England....moved to Gibraltar when I was 10 for 2 years.....i think its character building...imagine if I hadn't been to all those places, I wouldn't have progressed to "not the sharpest knife in the draw" status!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you dont think the average canadian parent is up for encouraging their kid to win, then you need to spend more time at your local arena!
Sadly, iaink, as usual, everything in Canada boils down to hockey in the end.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Sadly, iaink, as usual, everything in Canada boils down to hockey in the end.

They do seem to favour competing in sports that nobody else in the world gives a toss about.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

" Let them be kids, in time they will figure out the other stuff anyway."

See I'm a little suspicious of that.

Here's the problem: If you *let them be kids* and don't push them then they could very well end up spending all their time playing x-box and not e.g. learn to read or add up.

Then when they hit 18 they will *still* be unable to read or add up and they will be a *lot* less likely to catch up later.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by xxdb

Here's the problem: If you *let them be kids* and don't push them then they could very well end up spending all their time playing x-box and not e.g. learn to read or add up.

Then when they hit 18 they will *still* be unable to read or add up and they will be a *lot* less likely to catch up later.

Then they'll end up on the dole and hanging around the back of the offy, drinking White Lighting, getting pregnant and not amounting to a hill of beans.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
Then they'll end up on the dole and hanging around the back of the offy, drinking White Lighting, getting pregnant and not amounting to a hill of beans.
Welcome to the Canadian dream!

I suspect that the "don't push them" thing prevalent in Canadian dreams is more so that the teachers don't have to deal with unruly children.

I find the teachers here much less into teaching and much more into teaching as a "career". In other words they are career-minded poltically correct idiots who have no interest in actually making sure your kids get an education and just want a quiet life and the nice long vacations and the steady paycheque.

You get that back home too of course in lots of places but in the two schools my boys were at (in Glasgow of all places) the teachers were just brilliant compared to the teachers here.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:35 pm

I suspect that the "don't push them" thing prevalent in Canadian dreams is more so that the teachers don't have to deal with unruly children.

I find the teachers here much less into teaching and much more into teaching as a "career". In other words they are career-minded poltically correct idiots who have no interest in actually making sure your kids get an education and just want a quiet life and the nice long vacations and the steady paycheque.

You get that back home too of course in lots of places but in the two schools my boys were at (in Glasgow of all places) the teachers were just brilliant compared to the teachers here.

I have to disagree with this assertion. I have met lots and taught lots of Canadian teachers and the vast majority of them are professional, hard working, passionate, well-educated and really want the best for the children they teach and in the most part they're not hampered by the shackles of class consciousness. As individuals, I'd stack them up against any teachers in the world. The problem I find here is systemic and lies with the larger national spirit and viewpoint.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
I have to disagree with this assertion. I have met lots and taught lots of Canadian teachers and the vast majority of them are professional, hard working, passionate, well-educated and really want the best for the children they teach and in the most part they're not hampered by the shackles of class consciousness. As individuals, I'd stack them up against any teachers in the world. The problem I find here is systemic and lies with the larger national spirit and viewpoint.
Well in my experience my kids have been through the ringer in the Calgary system and we have only run across one school out of six with teachers who give a ****. In fact we had to take the school district to the tribunal before they picked up the ball and stopped acting like ********. My experience is not made up, it's fact. We have to agree to disagree I'm afraid.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 1st 2011 at 9:43 am. Reason: Don't try and get round the swear filter - just use other words!
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

By "let them be kids" I mean let them explore things and develop without too much pressure to perform, to just do things for the fun of it. You are an adult with other responsibilities for a long time. If they like something then they will do it to death anyway. Its a balancing act, exposing them to as many different things as you can and watching to see what it is that makes them tick, while trying to protect them from more negative influences.

I should point out Im not talking about teens here, by the time they are teens they should be pretty aware that some are going to do better than others in life.

You can let your kids be kids without an Xbox. In fact given the violence in the average Xbox game I suspect they will be kids longer without one. My kids spend far more time at the piano then playing Wii. I guess Im lucky. In fact I know I am.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 6:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

We have found some teachers to be going through the motions, and others pulling up stumps to get the best out of all their kids. I dont think you can make generalisations. Also it depends on the school culture to some extent. In 4 years our kids school has been through 3 principals, some better than others. Kid A got all A's this time around, but despite that we are shifting schools in the fall, fed up of hitting our head against the administrative wall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.