Reload this Page >

A child of 3 in Ontario

A child of 3 in Ontario

Old Dec 20th 2016, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

jayna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A child of 3 in Ontario

Hi ,
I hope someone can kindly push me into the correct direction.

I am British and my partner is Canadian( unmarried) ,we have a 3 year child who was also born in the UK.

We have been in Canada for 6 months and advised we are now able to apply for his residency , canadian passport and baby bonuses/child tax.

It is very difficult to contact the relevant department via telephone

I am assuming we need to present his british passport along with his birth certificate to start procedures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 20th 2016, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

jayna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A child of 3 in Ontario

Hi ,yes that is correct .

His father was born in Canada and my son is born is the UK .

Therefore i am confused regarding what we are entitled to and what proof i need to show.

Thanks
Old Dec 20th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

So your son is "1st generation born outside Canada" and therefore a Canadian citizen.

Applying for child benefits seems complicated for many people. Actually I gave up but my kids are almost not kids anymore. For you with a 3 year old clearly you should persevere. If you don't have much luck on the forum my suggestion is you look up one of the settlement agencies near to where you live and contact them. My friend works in a settlement agency (but that is in BC) and this is part of what many of them do (help newcomers with this process).

S
Old Dec 20th 2016, 11:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayna
Hi ,
I hope someone can kindly push me into the correct direction.

I am British and my partner is Canadian( unmarried) ,we have a 3 year child who was also born in the UK.

We have been in Canada for 6 months and advised we are now able to apply for his residency , canadian passport and baby bonuses/child tax.

It is very difficult to contact the relevant department via telephone

I am assuming we need to present his british passport along with his birth certificate to start procedures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you get his Canadian Citizenship Certificate in the end?

As you are aware from previous threads, that's the first step to obtaining the passport. If you already have it and want to apply for a passport, full info here: Passports for children

Tax credits, child care credits, child benefits etc: Child and family benefits and http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/ccb/menu-eng.html and specific to Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/tax-cred...ople#section-1

Further help http://settlement.org/ontario/employ...-for-the-cctb/

I'm not sure what you meant by 'apply for his residency' as he is already a resident

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 21st 2016 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

fatdad is an unknown quantity at this point

hey There.

Its very difficult to get child support here in Canada. It has taken 6 years for us to get it. We landed. Both worked. paid all taxes for the 6 years we have been here and just got it. Canada is an amazing country. The government is awkward to get around so they move slowly. Your correct that you cant get a direct answer. This is not the UK. Just turning up here your not given anything that you don't earn. Not like the UK at all. My wife is Canadian. My son was born in UK and got his Canadian passport straight away. I am English. Moved to Ontario in 2011. Brilliant country. What I also like about it is the fact that they just don't give you stuff. If you work and pay in then you get a lot out. If your not working for one reason or another then its difficult to get any benefits at all.

If your Boyfriend is Canadian born then he does not have to apply for residency as he already is a citizen. You however will and then when you get landed immigration status you will be better off.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 23rd 2016 at 5:59 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

We filed a tax return through an accountant and after being here as permanent residents and were eventually asked by Revenue Canada to provide "proof" that our kids were indeed living with us full time in Canada (we asked some new canadian friends with "professional" type jobs to write letters confirming this) and then the child tax credits started coming every month. I think the difference here is that it's all linked to the annual tax return, where as in England you have to apply for things piece meal.
Old Dec 24th 2016, 6:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdad
hey There.

Its very difficult to get child support here in Canada. It has taken 6 years for us to get it. We landed. Both worked. paid all taxes for the 6 years we have been here and just got it.
Have you bothered to file a tax return at all? Normally you just have to wait until your first full year tax return is in the records.