British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The cheese and wine whine! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/cheese-wine-whine-865826/)

Zooper Sep 17th 2016 11:29 pm

Re: The cheese and wine whine!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12054768)
Because Canada banned it.

Dairy products

cheese:
up to 20 kilograms per person
Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.
These items are not allowed

milk
milk products (whey, cream, skim milk, butter oil, and so on)
in these forms: dried, frozen, reconstituted, or fresh
What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Those are personal exemptions, not import restrictions. I can buy clotted cream/Devonshire Cream at my grocery store. I just can't bring any into Canada myself.

Former Lancastrian Sep 18th 2016 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Zooper (Post 12055112)
Those are personal exemptions, not import restrictions. I can buy clotted cream/Devonshire Cream at my grocery store. I just can't bring any into Canada myself.

I guess you missed the bit these items not allowed ;)

BristolUK Sep 18th 2016 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12055131)
I guess you missed the bit these items not allowed ;)

But that makes it look like Fresh milk's not allowed. So the availability of fresh milk must mean that it doesn't mean not allowed.

Former Lancastrian Sep 18th 2016 1:51 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12055161)
But that makes it look like Fresh milk's not allowed. So the availability of fresh milk must mean that it doesn't mean not allowed.

One must read the CFIA regulations closely and then determine where the product is from

Fresh milk from the USA OK from the UK not OK

Are the goods being imported by a traveller or importer for commercial purposes.
Are import permits required?
Import and Interprovincial Requirements for Dairy Products - Overview - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Tootlepootle Sep 18th 2016 1:57 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12054776)
Yes, but that stuff is produced here so why cannot clotted cream be produced here?

I know it risks certain Brits complaining it doesn't taste like back home :lol: but I'm sure many of us would be happy to have it :)

Whipping cream works reasonably well with jam and scones.

I can buy clotted cream and double cream in my local IGA here in Coquitlam. It is lovely! Perfect on scones and christmas pudding!!!

Former Lancastrian Sep 18th 2016 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12055169)
I can buy clotted cream and double cream in my local IGA here in Coquitlam. It is lovely! Perfect on scones and christmas pudding!!!

Who makes it and where is it made? Is it made in Canada or the UK? Is it made under licence but produced in Canada? sort of like Cadburys chocolate bars.

Siouxie Sep 18th 2016 4:35 pm

Could you let me know the brand names? IGA trade as 'Foodland' in my area but I've never shopped there, if they have double cream and clotted cream I'm headed there this week!

:)

BristolUK Sep 18th 2016 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12055166)
One must read the CFIA regulations closely and then determine where the product is from

Fresh milk from the USA OK from the UK not OK

Are the goods being imported by a traveller or importer for commercial purposes.
Are import permits required?
Import and Interprovincial Requirements for Dairy Products - Overview - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

But that wasn't what I was saying. You listed products not allowed and they included imports but they also included stuff not imported.

That's why I made the point that Clotted cream could be produced here. Import restrictions then become irrelevant. ;)

BristolUK Sep 18th 2016 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12055636)
Could you let me know the brand names? IGA trade as 'Foodland' in my area but I've never shopped there, if they have double cream and clotted cream I'm headed there this week!

Can you attach some? I know someone with a super iPhone who may be able to convert it to its original form :rofl:

caretaker Sep 18th 2016 7:38 pm

I came home with package of Halali German Limberger, marked down by half, probably have to get a few drinks in me before before getting into that.

Shirtback Sep 18th 2016 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12055726)
Can you attach some? I know someone with a super iPhone who may be able to convert it to its original form :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BristolUK Sep 18th 2016 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback (Post 12055826)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

In-jokes...don't you love 'em? :lol:

Tootlepootle Sep 19th 2016 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12055636)

The brand is The Devon cReam based. The stuff is made in Wiltshire!!

Siouxie Sep 19th 2016 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12055913)
The brand is The Devon cReam based. The stuff is made in Wiltshire!!

Oh do you mean the stuff in a jar? I thought you meant fresh :cry_smile: I can get the double around here but I haven't looked for the clotted cream of late.

Thanks anyway! If you come across fresh please please let me know! I managed to find it in Fortino's about 8 years ago (just like the double extra thick one in the UK, in a plastic pot thingy, it was so good) but they've stopped selling it..

Tootlepootle Sep 19th 2016 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12055918)
Oh do you mean the stuff in a jar? I thought you meant fresh :cry_smile: I can get the double around here but I haven't looked for the clotted cream of late.

Thanks anyway! If you come across fresh please please let me know! I managed to find it in Fortino's about 8 years ago (just like the double extra thick one in the UK, in a plastic pot thingy, it was so good) but they've stopped selling it..

Sorry to get you excited over nothing!!!!