Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cheese and cream and chocolate!

cheese and cream and chocolate!

Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:41 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default cheese and cream and chocolate!

in the last 6 weeks we have discovered a few items that I wasnt sure we could get and was starting to miss:

Double cream - in the refrigerator section of Sobeys and Atlantic near the coffee creamer. Its in a purple carton called Farmers whipping cream. To me its the perfect double cream that I can also cook with. Nothing sprayed and out of a can required.

Mature cheddar - Costco, 6 years matured. Very nice and very like mature English cheddar, in fact its a bit too mature for me, hubby delighted though.

Lindt chocolate bunnies - the same as home, they have a large e on them, apparently shows they have been made in England. I am not bothered where they are made, they taste delightful.

Aero eggs - taste like the real thing

Cinammon rolls of the Pilsbury kind, hot and scrummy from the oven for breakfast, these cannot be found in England (and I tried!) and they are heavenly.

I am happy
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:38 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheese and cream and chocolate!

If not the same, I think for most things there are alternatives. I'm with you on the whipping cream - tastes just like double cream to me but you'll find there are those that will argue that it's nothing like it.

Funny how tastes change over time too. Like most 5 year olds, my son loves chocolate. However, he was sent some chocolate from the UK for easter but won't eat it because "it tastes funny"! Oh well, all the more for mummy!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 1:49 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

The cream here has added sugar and other chemicals. I have found unadulterated stuff but not locally and it costs $$. I rarely buy cream though so I don't suppose it matters.....

Cheese from Costco definitely.

Choccies, again a rare purchase in this house.

I dislike English baked beans now
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:20 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Lindt chocolate bunnies - the same as home, they have a large e on them, apparently shows they have been made in
a standard European size (xgrams)
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think the cream thing relates to the fat content, Cdn whipping cream is a lower fat % than UK double cream, and that can affect some recipes.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:07 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Howefamily
in the last 6 weeks we have discovered a few items that I wasnt sure we could get and was starting to miss:

Lindt chocolate bunnies - the same as home, they have a large e on them, apparently shows they have been made in England. I am not bothered where they are made, they taste delightful.
Originally Posted by MikeUK
a standard European size (xgrams)
res t assured U are both verry incorect: da "e" onda bunnie stand 4 "eat" &/or "eggiweg"
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

SwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really niceSwissBread is just really nice

I hope you all know from where the Lindt Easter bunny resp. REAL chocolate comes from!!!

Regards from SWISSBread!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:29 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SwissBread
I hope you all know from where the Lindt Easter bunny resp. REAL chocolate comes from!!!

Regards from SWISSBread!
duh yeah were not all daft you know , tsk everyone knows it comes from tesco's huh some people think they know it all dont they

Last edited by arniedog; Apr 28th 2011 at 7:40 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

of course we all know that real chocolate comes from Switzerland! Thats a given. Having said that I would never say no to Cadburys from England, not ever
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Aatjjj is an unknown quantity at this point

After 3 weeks abroad i needed some chocolate
Old Apr 29th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fledermaus
The cream here has added sugar and other chemicals. I have found unadulterated stuff but not locally and it costs $$. I rarely buy cream though so I don't suppose it matters.....
What cream are you referring to? You can purchase whipping cream, cereal cream, etc. without any additives in your regular dairy section of the supermarket.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bgroe
What cream are you referring to? You can purchase whipping cream, cereal cream, etc. without any additives in your regular dairy section of the supermarket.
I can't, if I could I would.

I've seen that whipping cream, as well as other creams, has dextrose listed in the ingredients also carageen. Maybe this is Ontario specific.

http://www.milkingredients.ca/DCP/ar...=145&page=2169

Last edited by fledermaus; Apr 29th 2011 at 10:04 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 10:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't, if I could I would.

I've seen that whipping cream, as well as other creams, has dextrose listed in the ingredients also carageen. Maybe this is Ontario specific.

http://www.milkingredients.ca/DCP/ar...=145&page=2169
I can find no reference to dextrose, carageen or sugar in the linked page.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I can find no reference to dextrose, carageen or sugar in the linked page.
Stabilizers such as mono-glycerides are added to improve whipping ability.

Well it's the best link I could find and whatever they are they don't come out of the cow with the cream.

try this one
http://ottawafoodies.com/forum/3243

Last edited by fledermaus; Apr 30th 2011 at 12:06 am.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:24 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Stabilizers such as mono-glycerides are added to improve whipping ability.

Well it's the best link I could find and whatever they are they don't come out of the cow with the cream.

try this one
http://ottawafoodies.com/forum/3243
Fled, have you considered organic whipping cream?

We just went over to our local organic store looking for gluten free soy sauce and they had whipping cream the list of contents was very short, whipping cream that was it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.