Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheer the Boys On!

Cheer the Boys On!

Old May 11th 2006, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cheer the Boys On!

Holy macaroni - the Latvia fans are throwing garbage all over the ice again. The third period has been stopped it was so bad!

Canada 8 - Latvia 0 - middle of 3rd period!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
This tournament is one of those be careful what you wish for type things.

Way back, when there were very few if any Europeans in the NHL this tournament was was originally scheduled by the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) deliberately during the NHL playoffs so that Canada would be hobbled.

Now that there are many more Europeans playing in the NHL it has turned into a detriment for them.

Sort of like what goes around comes around.

Now at the moment I haven't seen a game and have no idea who is playing for Canada ( I've been otherwise engaged this last few days). But I'm not convinced that even though there are a number of top Canadians no longer in the playoffs that all were invited to play for Canada or even who of those who were invited, accepted.

Cheers
Steve
So what you seem to be saying is that this is another example of a "world" championship, where clearly the intent was never to have the whole world competing on a level playing field. At least teams outside of N America get to play in this one

Glad your feeling up to wasting your time here again. I still dont much care about the hockey, just thought it bizarre to hold the event so it conflicting with the real cup, but what you said makes sense.

I know Sydney Crosby is on the team, but more than that I couldnt say.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
I've been otherwise engaged this last few days
Quite.

How are you doing?
Old May 11th 2006, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iaink
So what you seem to be saying is that this is another example of a "world" championship, where clearly the intent was never to have the whole world competing on a level playing field. At least teams outside of N America get to play in this one

Glad your feeling up to wasting your time here again. I still dont much care about the hockey, just thought it bizarre to hold the event so it conflicting with the real cup, but what you said makes sense.

I know Sydney Crosby is on the team, but more than that I couldnt say.

How could they all play on a level playing field when NA has dominated the field for years. At least the european teams are out there and working hard, and in a few years they may just become as good as canada!

If you remember the Czech Republic won the championship last year beating everyone!
Old May 11th 2006, 7:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
How could they all play on a level playing field when NA has dominated the field for years. At least the european teams are out there and working hard, and in a few years they may just become as good as canada!

If you remember the Czech Republic won the championship last year beating everyone!
Hey, its a world championship, it should be a level playing field. No one is going to cry a river at the real world cup when the smaller teams like Costa Rica, Angola, T&T etc go out in the first round as whipping boys, thats the nature of sport, sometimes you lose.

Didnt the Czecks basically win 1999-2001 because Hasek (so?) was in goal at the top of his form? If he had not been playing for Buffalo at a time they sucked, then he would have been stuck in the playoffs, and the Czechs would have sunk without trace, just like they did once he went to Detroit. Thats my point, the small teams have far less chance if all their best players are still in the NHL playoffs.

Last edited by iaink; May 11th 2006 at 8:33 pm.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey, its a world championship, it should be a level playing field. No one is going to cry a river at the real world cup when the smaller teams like Costa Rica, Angola, T&T etc go out in the first round as whipping boys, thats the nature of sport, sometimes you lose.

Didnt the Czecks basically win 1999-2001 because Hasek (so?) was in goal at the top of his form? If he had not been playing for Buffalo at a time they sucked, when he would have been stuck in the playoffs, and they would have sunk without trace, as they did once he went to Detroit. Thats my point, the small teams have far less chance if all there best players are still in the playoffs.
How can it be a level playing field when NA have been playing hockey far longer than countries like Italy, Latvia, etc.....Give these teams a few years and they will probably be as big, strong and skilled as we are!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WE WON!!!! WE WON!!!!

Canada 11 - Latvia 0....God that Sydney Crosby could have played and won the game by himself with one hand tied behind his back.

GO CANADA GO!!!!

Now back to regular programming until Sunday!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

How can it be a level playing field when NA have been playing hockey far longer than countries like Italy, Latvia, etc.....Give these teams a few years and they will probably be as big, strong and skilled as we are!
The concept of the "level playing field" seems a bit lost on you. Every team should be able to give it their best shot, then its the same for everyone and the best team on the day wins. THats not going to happen if you schedule the world championship while the NHL is still going. Its an international sporting championship, not a charity event after all. Its not bad for the best country to win, and no serious sportsperson would want a "pity victory" just to make them feel better that they are a small fish in a bigger pond, thats just patronising.

Whats the point of a world championship in an Olympic year anyway. Really, didnt we just do all this in February? At least they had the decency to stop the NHL briefly while the Olympics were going on. I know, different ice size, but again, whats that all about! Cant they just pick a size for the game, even football managed to agree on that about a hundred years ago.

Realistically Italy is never going to compete with Canada. The biggest threat to Canadian hockey is that fees for little league in Canada continue to rise and more and more parents are deciding not to enroll kids. Canada plays hockey the same way Italians play soccer, its the norm, so there will be a huge pool of players to pick the most talented from in Canada compared to Italy where its a minority sport and always will be. Better Coaching and experience at an elite level will help to narrow the gap over time perhaps, but those countries where many people play will always have an advantage in finding enough good players to compete, thats life. I wonder how many more people there are per rink in Italy than in Canada. Canada must have the most ice per person in the world? Really when you think about it Canada are seriously underperforming in recent years not to have won it more often.

Anyway, back to the level playing field. Canada sucks at footy, but no one is crying into their beer saying "if only the world cup was held in January when everyone else is busy". Its just the way it is. Something North Americans dont seem to realise so much is that sport is as much about losing with dignity as it is winning with grace.

I dont know how much satisfaction there can be in winning a game 11-0 knowing that the oposition had a couple of players who would have played in their strongest line up not present.

Last edited by iaink; May 11th 2006 at 8:47 pm.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The concept of the "level playing field" seems a bit lost on you. Every team should be able to give it their best shot, then its the same for everyone and the best team on the day wins. THats not going to happen if you schedule the world championship while the NHL is still going. Its an international sporting championship, not a charity event after all. Its not bad for the best country to win, and no serious sportsperson would want a "pity victory" just to make them feel better that they are a small fish in a bigger pond, thats just patronising.

Whats the point of a world championship in an Olympic year anyway. Really, didnt we just do all this in February? At least they had the decency to stop the NHL briefly while the Olympics were going on. I know, different ice size, but again, whats that all about! Cant they just pick a size for the game, even football managed to agree on that about a hundred years ago.

Realistically Italy is never going to compete with Canada. The biggest threat to Canadian hockey is that fees for little league in Canada continue to rise and more and more parents are deciding not to enroll kids. Canada plays hockey the same way Italians play soccer, its the norm, so there will be a huge pool of players to pick the most talented from in Canada compared to Italy where its a minority sport and always will be. Better Coaching and experience at an elite level will help to narrow the gap over time perhaps, but those countries where many people play will always have an advantage in finding enough good players to compete, thats life. I wonder how many more people there are per rink in Italy than in Canada. Canada must have the most ice per person in the world? Really when you think about it Canada are seriously underperforming in recent years not to have won it more often.

Anyway, back to the level playing field. Canada sucks at footy, but no one is crying into their beer saying "if only the world cup was held in January when everyone else is busy". Its just the way it is. Something North Americans dont seem to realise so much is that sport is as much about losing with dignity as it is winning with grace.

I dont know how much satisfaction there can be in winning a game 11-0 knowing that the oposition had a couple of players who would have played in their strongest line up not present.

Iain love - get a grip. I know those sleepless nites are wearing you out. I have no idea why (and to be truthful) dont care why the world hockey championships are scheduled at the same time as the stanley cup. Personally I would rather watch a series for two weeks then something those goes on for the length of elephants gestation period.

You are right there is nothing wrong with the best team winning the championship. Unfortunately because it has been NA for a number of years, there has been talk that its too one-sided and that is part of the reason that many of these small countries like Italy and Latvia have formed their own teams...Whether they will ever be able to compete with the big, strong and skilled players from canada and the states is yet to be seen. Yes the game today was very lopsided. Latvia was very undisciplined and got a tremendous amount of penalties which is when we scored most of our goals.

However if you remember until a few years ago sweden, finland and the czech republic were not terrific hockey teams either. In the past few years they have become tremendous teams and have beaten the pants off us, and not only in hockey but curling as well!

And yes canada (at least the boys) have not be performing as well as they could. To be truthful if we didnt have the likes of sydney crosby who could win the game by himself, we might not be as good as we have been so far. We have a very young team playing in this championship which is great for us. Its unfortunate that they didnt do the same for the olympics.

Now go and have a drink and relax.....all in all its just a game and may the best team win (as long as its canada)!

Karma sent to my poor sleepless buddy!
Old May 13th 2006, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dont forget to watch the game tomorrow - canada and the czech republic! Starts at 10:15PT which is 1:15pm (for Iain)!

GO CANADA GO!
Old May 14th 2006, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hockey game starts at 10:15am today!

GO CANADA GO!
Old May 14th 2006, 3:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hockey game starts at 10:15am today!

GO CANADA GO!
Seeing as I'm in Northern Alberta till tomorrow

GO OILERS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old May 14th 2006, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Seeing as I'm in Northern Alberta till tomorrow

GO OILERS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hear that they are doing very very well! and the series is tied 2-2!
Old May 14th 2006, 3:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I hear that they are doing very very well! and the series is tied 2-2!
and the only Canadian team left now!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 14th 2006, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
and the only Canadian team left now!!!!!!!!!!!

Well then just for them!

GO000000000 OILERS GOOOOOOOOOOO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.