Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to transfer your cash capital?

Cheapest way to transfer your cash capital?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheapest way to transfer your cash capital?

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Can anyone advise us on the best way to move our lump sum to Canada? I don't want to lose a large chunk of it in bad exchange rates and commission!
Hi, Elizabeth,

I'm in the same boat and would ask the same question. I've quite a sizeable fund to exchange and I'm looking for the best deal as even one Canadian cent could make thousands of dollars difference.

After reading the posts on here, I see no one has mentioned "Halo" I've just opened an account with them and wondering whether if they're any good as they've not been mentioned??

Anyone had any experience with these people? If so, what did you think?

Cheers

Y
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:26 pm
Banned

tim01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never used them, but have spoken to them before and they wouldn't tell me the set spread that they take so i didnt go any further.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

Theyre only as good as the next guy, call halo and call transfermate and see what you think
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tim01
I have never used them, but have spoken to them before and they wouldn't tell me the set spread that they take so i didnt go any further.
Ask for both sides of the price and work it out
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We use Custom House for a bulk of our FX transactions. Once you give them a direct debit mandate, you can book the rate over the phone and they take the funds from your account. Alternatively you can book the rate and then transfer funds to them by online banking. Does not matter much who you deal with the rate between Fx houses is not going to vary that much. The exchange can change though in seconds. We set a rate we're looking for and give them an order to buy at that rate. The buy order is usually for a month, if it is not filled and lapses we do another, unless we need the funds urgently.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Ask for both sides of the price and work it out
Well thanks all. Very much food for thought...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Aviator
We use Custom House for a bulk of our FX transactions. Once you give them a direct debit mandate, you can book the rate over the phone and they take the funds from your account. Alternatively you can book the rate and then transfer funds to them by online banking. Does not matter much who you deal with the rate between Fx houses is not going to vary that much. The exchange can change though in seconds. We set a rate we're looking for and give them an order to buy at that rate. The buy order is usually for a month, if it is not filled and lapses we do another, unless we need the funds urgently.
I wouldnt agree with that to be honest about getting the same prices, i found that by switching broer i was about 1 cent better off in the rate i am getting now compared to what i used to get, which is a fair bit, especially if you are trading a large amount
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldnt agree with that to be honest about getting the same prices, i found that by switching broer i was about 1 cent better off in the rate i am getting now compared to what i used to get, which is a fair bit, especially if you are trading a large amount
Hi Tim,

Who are you trading with now? As one cent woulod make a large difference to my exchange capitol.

I've opened an account with Halo. But to be honest, I've not seen them mentioned are here so I'm wondering if they're any good?

Cheers.

Yogi
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Hi Tim,

Who are you trading with now? As one cent woulod make a large difference to my exchange capitol.

I've opened an account with Halo. But to be honest, I've not seen them mentioned are here so I'm wondering if they're any good?

Cheers.

Yogi
don't know about Halo, I use RationalFx and they always beat the other brokers. I now dont even play them off against anyone, I just call them and tell them what i need and know my broker will give me the same spread on each and every deal.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hitchw
don't know about Halo, I use RationalFx and they always beat the other brokers. I now dont even play them off against anyone, I just call them and tell them what i need and know my broker will give me the same spread on each and every deal.
Hi,

Sounds great! Would you happen to have a contact details?

Cheers

Yogi
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hitchw
QFT. Rash gets my custom!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:31 pm
Banned

Yogi

I use cornhill FX, the setup i have seems quite similiar as the setup that hitch has with rational, i know what spread i get each time, where i stand and don't need to haggle, funds usually get there in Canada same day as well. If you want my brokers contact details feel free to PM me.

Tim
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We use three brokers and the rate varies no more than a few pips, depending on what currency we're using. I guess it depends on how good your first broker was. A penny is a huge difference which I have only experienced between the banks and an FX broker. Some borkers charge a fee others build it into the rate they give you, so some fluctuation comes from this as well. Don't be fooled, they are all in it for the money and they don't work for free.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

A penny is a huge difference.... Some borkers charge a fee others build it into the rate they give you... they are all in it for the money and they don't work for free.
A penny can be significant for the likes of the consumer, and indeed borkers (i quite like that term) can exchange your money lumped with that from many other consumers, so that a fraction of a penny makes a huge difference to them!

there lies their profit, not that such a slight 'spread' would make much difference to minor outlays such as those made by you or i. hence the seemingly unlikely but nevertheless true conclusion that everybody's happy!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:10 pm
Banned

We use three brokers and the rate varies no more than a few pips, depending on what currency we're using. I guess it depends on how good your first broker was. A penny is a huge difference which I have only experienced between the banks and an FX broker. Some borkers charge a fee others build it into the rate they give you, so some fluctuation comes from this as well. Don't be fooled, they are all in it for the money and they don't work for free.
I agree they dont work for nothing, they still give me a worse rate than they buy at. i dont object to them making money, id just rather they make less ans i keep more! I also like to know up front the soread they take rather than them just give a price. Now that i have a relationship with a broker i trust (I do check prices) i dont need to waste time calling a few, especially when the market moves. I have been quoted 1% on a six figure some by some brokers before, which is about 2 cents spread

At the end of the day they wont quote you a price that means that they arent making money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.