Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get the dog to calgary

Cheapest way to get the dog to calgary

Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cheapest way to get the dog to calgary

Hi all please help i'm starting to stress, just had a quote from lady haye for taking the dog from uk to calgary and was quoted more than its costing for all the four of us. we have'nt booked any flights yet just fishing for prices, flying around 18th August any advice would be gratefully accepted.
michelle
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cheapest way to get the dog to calgary

Originally Posted by paddyirish
Hi all please help i'm starting to stress, just had a quote from lady haye for taking the dog from uk to calgary and was quoted more than its costing for all the four of us. we have'nt booked any flights yet just fishing for prices, flying around 18th August any advice would be gratefully accepted.
michelle
Yes, my advice is this. Ignore anyone who says you can't do it by yourself. Phone BA and tell them you want to take your dog to Calgary and ask for information on booking him on the plane. He will go either freight or excess baggage. It is very straightforward to do it yourself. They will tell you what type of crate he needs, and all the other things you need to know. I have flown my four dogs from England to Canada and back, and to loads of other places and never used an agent. Last time we flew the dogs it was to the Bahamas, and each dog cost less than 250 pounds sterling. It shouldn't be more than about 400 to Calgary I wouldn't think.

You will probably also need to talk to the government department about injections and so on. But you can find everything out online.

Deeana
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deeana
Yes, my advice is this. Ignore anyone who says you can't do it by yourself. Phone BA and tell them you want to take your dog to Calgary and ask for information on booking him on the plane. He will go either freight or excess baggage. It is very straightforward to do it yourself. They will tell you what type of crate he needs, and all the other things you need to know. I have flown my four dogs from England to Canada and back, and to loads of other places and never used an agent. Last time we flew the dogs it was to the Bahamas, and each dog cost less than 250 pounds sterling. It shouldn't be more than about 400 to Calgary I wouldn't think.

You will probably also need to talk to the government department about injections and so on. But you can find everything out online.

Deeana
Thanks for that Deeana
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

michelle
You should have seen some of the quotes that we have received :scared: Ladyhaye are not the most expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can take your dog with you as excess baggage on some airlines. The dog will be in a heated pressurised hold so should be comfortable enough. In summary, you will need to get your dog rabies vacinated and get a letter from your vet stating that he/she is fit for traval in the few days prior to travel. You will also be responsible for supply a proper dog travel crate of the correct size.

I believe that Zoom allows pets but you have to turn up at the airport and hope that there is enough room in the pressurised hold. Doesn't sound ideal to me.

With Air Canada you can book in advance. I think it's just under £200 per dog, plus of course you are responsible for the crate, etc. Downside is the cost of the family flying with them. Don't think BA do Calgary any more.

Hope this gives you a flavour. Some forum members have already taken dogs so hopefully can be more helpful. I'm just bored at the moment. With two (should have been 3, but ...) German Shepherds the logistics nay be such that we do it the expensive way.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Cheapest way to get the dog to calgary

Thanks for that Deeana
You're welcome! Also, a word of encouragement. People worry about their dogs and how well they are going to travel. In my experience, they travel a whole lot better than ME! They tend to sleep the whole way. I wish EYE could!

Actually, come to think of it, my youngest dog came to me in Calgary as an 8 week old puppy on a plane all by herself all the way from Maryland in the US, and she was just fine!

We have also flown much older dogs, and to hot and cold countries, and it has always been fine.

Deeana.