Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

cheap phone calls to canada

cheap phone calls to canada

Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheap phone calls to canada

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
Skype is free
Skype is only free Skype to Skype, but even the software is free so it shouldn't take much to persuade your contacts to down load and use

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 27th 2006, 8:47 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We usually call the UK using a prepaid phone card .... costs about 4c a minute!!

We do use skype too, for the pc users in the family/friends
Hope you dont mind me pm'ing you.

In ref to your post. I,m visiting Canada for a final recce in May. Where do I get hold of one of these cards ?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Old Mar 27th 2006, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buchan6

In ref to your post. I,m visiting Canada for a final recce in May. Where do I get hold of one of these cards ?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
You can get long distance calling cards anywhere convince store, walmart, grocery store, gas station you can even pick on up in one of the stores at most major airports upon landing here in Canada.
To call the UK most are around 4 cents a minute just be careful to read and make sure you get one that does not charge any connection fee
I use bravo card a $5.00 gives me about a 400 minutes it has no fee's and the line is usually clear ( some cards had crappy quality lines lot of static ect)
I have found the following ones quite good most cards have a local connection number for most major cities in Canada you just dial the local number, dial in the PIN number from the card and then the number in the UK.
bravo
rogers At&t
Datawave

Hubby and I both use calling cards to keep the cost down he calls twice a day during weekdays and I call on weekends we both use up a $5.00 card in a week( yes we talk alot to each other... )

Island Girl
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Skype is free, add a web cam and you've got the personal touch, I never use the phone anymore.

There are some trades offs, quality sometimes isn't as good but you can't beat free.

My parents are older and i can't visit as often as I'd like so the web cam makes me feel like I'm at home!
Yep, Skype is good and with a webcam it does add a personal touch. Although I hate to say this, as it's a Microsoft product, but MSN Messenger 7.5 is better in terms of sound quality, far less dropouts than Skype. MSN Messenger is free also and supports sound, webcam and messenging simultaneouly.

See here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old Mar 27th 2006, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

mugginflapps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bombayshuffle
quick question folks - does anyone have any recommendations for cheap phone calls from a BT line to canada - i.e. one of those companies where you dial a prefix, then the canadian number, so you don't have to change your BT line.
i know oneTel used to do it, but now they've been taken over by TalkTalk, and the only way to benefit from the 4p a minute rates is to change over from BT line to TalkTalk, which is not really acceptable.

any thoughts would be much appreciated

cheers
i'm with onetel and I still have my BT line, but all my calls go through onetel, including Canada.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

Eh? What's that? Who do you use? Can anyone do it? Is there a monthly fee or something??? 1/2 p a minute??
Honest Guv. Anyone on a BT line can use this.
H
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elhombre
Honest Guv. Anyone on a BT line can use this.
H
LOL I'm not doubting you! So it's for BT customers?

What is it called and how do they get it? I'm sure the best deal my folks seemed to be able to find was about 10p a minute, IF they pay 10 pounds a month or something for the privilege!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:24 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Err you didn't pm me , but your question was ably answered for me by Island_Girl
Old Mar 28th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough

LOL I'm not doubting you! So it's for BT customers?

What is it called and how do they get it? I'm sure the best deal my folks seemed to be able to find was about 10p a minute, IF they pay 10 pounds a month or something for the privilege!
They are called Tele Discount and operate as a "pay as you go" service so no up front fees etc. You dial the access number follow the instructions and away you go. BT charges you for the call so you only get 1 bill. I use it every day when I am in the UK. I believe it works by them buying air time in bulk and retailing it at compelling prices. They also provide service to other countries via different access codes. Go on, ask your folks back in the UK to give it a try. . LOL I should be getting a commision for this!

H
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:08 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by Elhombre
They are called Tele Discount and operate as a "pay as you go" service so no up front fees etc. ..... Go on, ask your folks back in the UK to give it a try.
H
Thanks, I shall!

I just checked out their web-site, if anyone's interested.

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php

And btw you can also use them if you are an NTL or Telewest customer. You can in fact call from any land-line or mobile, though mobiles might be more expensive. The deal is you dial an access number, so you only get charged for the call to that number by your regular provider. Looks good!

Prices vary depending on which country you are calling. Currently Canada is on for a bargain price of 0.5p a minute, as mentioned.... I wonder if that is permanent?

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 28th 2006 at 2:19 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:19 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Yep, Skype is good and with a webcam it does add a personal touch. Although I hate to say this, as it's a Microsoft product, but MSN Messenger 7.5 is better in terms of sound quality, far less dropouts than Skype. MSN Messenger is free also and supports sound, webcam and messenging simultaneouly.
I agree about skype, it's not replacement for a telephone. If it wasn't for the web cam I wouldn't bother. I'll give msn a try I use it anyways but it's getting everyone esle at the other end to switch over.

I also buy skype credits and then I can ring them up and tell them to go on skype
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

I must be missing something (excuse me)!. But why would you want to pay for your LD calls, if you can call for free?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

bombayshuffle is an unknown quantity at this point

on a similar note - what about calls from canada to uk mobiles - the credit on those cici calling cards doesn't half get used up quickly...

any thoughts?
Old Apr 8th 2006, 7:08 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

We usually call the UK using a prepaid phone card .... costs about 4c a minute!!

We do use skype too, for the pc users in the family/friends
Shaw digital give 1000 minutes a month free to UK (and other international destinations)
Old Apr 8th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

I agree about skype, it's not replacement for a telephone. If it wasn't for the web cam I wouldn't bother. I'll give msn a try I use it anyways but it's getting everyone esle at the other end to switch over.

I also buy skype credits and then I can ring them up and tell them to go on skype

We are using yahoo messenger to speak to our friends in Canada and will use this set up on our familys computers when we go so they can talk for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.