Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheap 'n' Chearful in Nova Scotia

Wikiposts

Cheap 'n' Chearful in Nova Scotia

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:59 am
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future
Default Cheap 'n' Chearful in Nova Scotia

Can anyone recommend some accommodation, which fits the above description? OH travelling over end September for a week or so, so only needs to be basic (to keep him in the manner he is accustomed to ).

Anywhere in the Halifax hour diameter.

Who is the cheapest car hire co too? Enterprise seem ok,with unlimited mileage in the maritimes. Anyone any experience of them? Was thinking a tuc tuc might be cheap but perhaps in autumn, four wheels might be better.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cheap 'n' Chearful in Nova Scotia

We went to Halifax in May this year. We stayed at a place in Mount Uniake, about 30 minutes drive from Halifax. It was quite reasonably priced, but had a stunning view over a fantastic lake. See the attached link

http://www.nscottagerentals.com/

The cheapest place we found for car hire was www.atlaschoice.com. We've booked through them twice now (both through Thrifty) and they have been great both times

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:28 am
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Thanks for that, it's a real help. Will look at the links now.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We used Airline Network for car hire in NS, and I am using them again in October they were the same price as some others but had better insurance cover and very cheap upgrades for thing such as second driver or tank of petrol.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:14 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I stayed here and I thought it was cheap n' cheerful, I would definately stay here again.

http://www.countryinns.com/webExtra....travelAgentID=
Attached Thumbnails Cheap 'n' Chearful in Nova Scotia-dsc09379.jpg  
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
We used Airline Network for car hire in NS, and I am using them again in October they were the same price as some others but had better insurance cover and very cheap upgrades for thing such as second driver or tank of petrol.
We have used airline network for rental cars in Canada incl NS. The insurance is good and cheap. I think we have been fully covered with no excess built into the price. They also use Thrifty.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 8:17 pm
The Cookie Monsters

Thanks chaps. I was thinking more of a cardboard box in an alley really.

These look far too plush for Mr Cookiemonster.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

take a look here http://halifax.kijiji.ca/

I've been looking for a place for me and my family for when we move over soon, some seem reasonable.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:11 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by landhouse
Thanks chaps. I was thinking more of a cardboard box in an alley really.

These look far too plush for Mr Cookiemonster.
I like your style landhouse
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:47 am
The Cookie Monsters

Well, if he gets too comfy he won't want to come home and guess who'll be left to do all the packing!

So, as long as it roughly has four walls for the accom and four wheels for the vehicle and both are weather-proof that'll do for me.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

antrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant futureantrim4 has a brilliant future

Hi,

We have just booked via www.holidayautos.co.uk , I checked lots of sites and the ones mentioned so far all see about the same'ish, I guess it's down to personal choice.

Antrim4

Last edited by antrim4; Sep 3rd 2007 at 6:18 am. Reason: spelling numpty!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by landhouse
Can anyone recommend some accommodation, which fits the above description? OH travelling over end September for a week or so, so only needs to be basic (to keep him in the manner he is accustomed to ).

Anywhere in the Halifax hour diameter.

Who is the cheapest car hire co too? Enterprise seem ok,with unlimited mileage in the maritimes. Anyone any experience of them? Was thinking a tuc tuc might be cheap but perhaps in autumn, four wheels might be better.
Hi

We've stayed here for a couple of nights http://www.doduckinn.ca/ its in Dartmouth with easy access to the highways.
Very friendly and good food.

Rosie
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:33 am
The Cookie Monsters

Thanks very much to everyone who replied.

Car sorted and Mr Cookiemonster has decided to pack our 2 year old's Cath Kidson Cowboy tent - putting the camp into camping! and rough it for a week (though moisturiser and hair gel will be packed into the back pack along with hand cleansing gel and lip balm...oh, they breed em tough in these parts o t'north, they do).