Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheap Flights From Uk?

Cheap Flights From Uk?

Old May 8th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: Cheap Flights From Uk?

Originally Posted by Calgal
I see a lot of you recommending "Zoom". Is this the same company www.flyzoom.com that is advertising on TV here (Canada)? They are offering 'prices to the UK from as little as $199.

(I never took it seriously because the only person I knew of who had used them said "Don't! They're crap" )

I wouldn't have said that they where crap, miles ahead of air transat, but still behind canadian affair. It's all down to experience, I've been on canadian affair three times and it's been great, I've flown zoom once and paid for the upgrade, even with the upgrade it was not as good as the canadian affair. Air transat, enough said, I would only use in a dire emergency.

Simon.
Old May 8th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SimonG
I wouldn't have said that they where crap, miles ahead of air transat, but still behind canadian affair. It's all down to experience, I've been on canadian affair three times and it's been great, I've flown zoom once and paid for the upgrade, even with the upgrade it was not as good as the canadian affair. Air transat, enough said, I would only use in a dire emergency.

Simon.
Isnt any flight crap when it's 8 hours long?
Old May 8th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patsy
Isnt any flight crap when it's 8 hours long?
u wanna try 23 hours to Australia, now that's crap.
Old May 9th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

deangb is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say i've flown with My Travel and with Air Canada - and to tell the truth the 'major' airline was no better if not worse for double the price. i personally would never use Air Canada again, it seems to get worse and worse, ageing dirty planes and moody staff - i could go on - indeed i may another time!!

Dean
Old May 9th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

It's all down to experience, I've been on canadian affair three times and it's been great
Simon.
We booked through Canadian Affair back in 2001 and it all went very well but my sister arrived here yesterday having used them and it was a horror story. She originally booked a direct flight from Gatwick to Montreal and without going in to all the details it got changed into a flight that went from Gatwick to Glasgow to Toronto to Montreal with various horrendous delays, incorrect information and generally just a complete farce.
Old May 9th 2005, 1:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stepnek
We booked through Canadian Affair back in 2001 and it all went very well but my sister arrived here yesterday having used them and it was a horror story. She originally booked a direct flight from Gatwick to Montreal and without going in to all the details it got changed into a flight that went from Gatwick to Glasgow to Toronto to Montreal with various horrendous delays, incorrect information and generally just a complete farce.
It seems to all boil down to consistency. I've used Canada 3000, Air Transat and My Travel and have never had any problems or complaints. Other people have obviously not been so fortunate.

Air Canada is very consistent. You know in advance that the experience will be shite. Bear in mind the company motto:

"we're not happy until you're not happy".
Old May 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It seems to all boil down to consistency.

Air Canada is very consistent. You know in advance that the experience will be shite. Bear in mind the company motto:

To be honest I'm not sure yet that I've had anything to complain about myself with any of my flights that I've taken and that includes a very pleasant flight with Air Canada last year. But then I've only flown with them the one time.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

...that includes a very pleasant flight with Air Canada last year...
I think I read about that flight in the newspapers. Everyone involved was fired on the spot.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I read about that flight in the newspapers. Everyone involved was fired on the spot.
I have an Air Canada Elite frequent flyer card, this despite always choosing to fly with anyone else that goes to the destination in question. I've never had a pleasant flight on AC but I was once on one that landed on time; I took a picture of the arrivals screen.

Something to think about when booking charters is that, if they're late and you miss the connection, you're out of luck. One of my daughters flew Air Transat to London, it was eight hours late, so, despite allowing four hours at Gatwick she missed her BA flight out of there and had to pay full fare on the next flight to Geneva. She was miffed, but not so miffed as her father when he got the Amex bill.
Old May 9th 2005, 3:06 pm
mshlgw

mshlgw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by babyblue
I know many others have discussed this before but i can't seem to find the links.
my daughter is flying to canada in a couple of weeks and needs a cheap deal. Any advice on good cheap airlines?
thanks all

Only just seen your post but Zoom are doing some really good deals at the moment. Am looking for myself for July and it is far better than BA,LH,AF etc and local airports LGW,MAN etc

Martin
Old May 9th 2005, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

You've hit the nail on the head, it's all individual experience. You have a bad one and you try somebody else. You have a good one and you use them again. I used to fly regularly between Teeside and Heathrow on BMI, because it was work related it was upped to business class. 65 minute flight time, 40 minutes down and 25 minutes circling London, 25 minutes in the queue to take off at Heathrow and then 45 minutes in the air. Often delayed on the return, but when the ticket you have lets you into the BMI lounge and free beer......who cares.
Old May 9th 2005, 5:48 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=SimonG]You've hit the nail on the head, it's all individual experience. You have a bad one and you try somebody else. You have a good one and you use them again. QUOTE]

Agreed.
It is the luck of the draw and people reading these experiences shouldn't be put off a certain airline just from these comments.
It does seem clear that spending more money doesn't increase the chance of enjoying the flight much!
Old May 9th 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crispie
It does seem clear that spending more money doesn't increase the chance of enjoying the flight much!
Especially on the overnight flights from Canada to the UK. I was lucky last time, nobody was sat next to me so I put the armrest up and sprawled out.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:34 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

It seems to all boil down to consistency. I've used Canada 3000, Air Transat and My Travel and have never had any problems or complaints. Other people have obviously not been so fortunate.

LOL.
My sister-in-law works for Air Canada (ex Canadian/Wardair) and when we went over to Canada last summer she announced to her flight colleagues that we were flying a decent airline, BA!
Old May 9th 2005, 10:43 pm
mshlgw

mshlgw is on a distinguished road

Simon.

You mean Air Transcrap then. There is no such airline as Canadian Affair, they are a tour operator. Who do they use to the UK? MyTravel,Thomas Cook Airlines, Knees up to your chin airlines, As for who said about dated aircraft with Air Canada, the A330/340 is not exactly dated. Certainly no more than the inherited Canadien 767's. Mind you, I am not sure I fancy a no engine(fuelless) landing at Gimli when they cannot suss out the difference between litres and gallons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.