British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Cheap flights to NS-Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/cheap-flights-ns-help-505848/)

or4ngecrush Jan 13th 2008 12:30 pm

Cheap flights to NS-Help

This may be a long shot was wondering who could find the cheapest flights to NS from Glasgow/Edinburgh, I was thinking for leaving Sat 19 to return Sat 26 Jan 2008. I thought that if it were short notice I may get a good deal but haven't found any. Can anyone help? it may be too short notice.

x

Ontheboatout Jan 13th 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Cheap flights to NS-Help

Air Canada is £441 return from Heathrow and a lot more from Glasgow. Opodo is £412 Haethrow, £528 from Glasgow.

Just found £203 return with Air Transat to Toronto so if you could find a cheap Toronto/Halifax that might be cheaper. Air Canada go via Toronto in any case.

or4ngecrush Jan 13th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout (Post 5781348)
Air Canada is £441 return from Heathrow and a lot more from Glasgow. Opodo is £412 Haethrow, £528 from Glasgow.

Thanks I may see how much flights to Heathrow are seperately

RodRos&Co. Jan 13th 2008 2:22 pm

Cool, we're looking at flights for week beginning 21st Jan, (daren't book them yet waiting for house sale to complete on 18th Jan :D)

Rosie

Ontheboatout Jan 13th 2008 2:26 pm

West Jet $289 return from Toronto (say £145) so with Air Transat from Glasgow, total £348 return to halifax including taxes from Glasgow.

Flossie and Jim Jan 13th 2008 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush (Post 5781141)
This may be a long shot was wondering who could find the cheapest flights to NS from Glasgow/Edinburgh, I was thinking for leaving Sat 19 to return Sat 26 Jan 2008. I thought that if it were short notice I may get a good deal but haven't found any. Can anyone help? it may be too short notice.

x

I love a good challenge when it comes to finding a cheap flight!!! Here goes...

My three favourite sites for finding fares are:
skyscanner.net (good for charters, especially to Europe)
mobissimo.com
travelsupermarket.com
Its always worth trying the websites of the airlines themselves to compare with the prices you find on the above 3 sites.

If you can get a cheap internal connection down to London Heathrow, then lastminute.com has £403 with Air Canada:

This is also on Ebookers for about 2 quid less (but check if they both charge credit card fees if you book)

If you can change your dates slightly to Thurs 17 to Thurs 24, then on the Air Canada website, it shows a fare from Glasgow to Halifax of £440 but thats with flights from Glasgow connecting to London.

Zoom (flyzoom.com) shows no availability for those dates from Glasgow or Gatwick to Halifax

Air Transat (on Canadian Affair) seems to be full for Gatwick to Halifax for those dates.

The wildcard option:
If you are very flexible on dates and can stay a month, then you can do Glasgow-Toronto, Out 16 Jan and return 19 Feb with Air Transat (through Canadian Affair) for £223 return all in, then find an internal flight!

Hope this helps a bit!
Good luck
Flossie

Jay Bird Jan 13th 2008 2:53 pm

x

I spoke to a guy at Zoom a few weeks ago with regard to cheap last-minute deals. Apparently airlines don't do them now (I think they used to be called "bucket seats"?)....he told me that the closer it gets to the date(s) you want, the higher the demand - so they hike the price! :sneaky:

destinationnovascotia Jan 13th 2008 4:32 pm

Just found £203 return with Air Transat to Toronto so if you could find a cheap Toronto/Halifax that might be cheaper. Air Canada go via Toronto in any case.

You can get direct Air Canada flights from Heathrow to Halifax They are the only company in winter who do this route.

The OPODO deal is the same plane but I find that they are often cheaper as you have indicated.

val50 Jan 13th 2008 4:42 pm

x

Have you looked at Continental? I've used them a few times flying into Halifax and you can do American customs clearance at Halifax, which helps.
Whatever you do, don't fly via Toronto, especially this time of year. If you can't get direct flight to Halifax from London, going via Montreal or New York are better options.

or4ngecrush Jan 13th 2008 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 5781848)
Have you looked at Continental? I've used them a few times flying into Halifax and you can do American customs clearance at Halifax, which helps.
Whatever you do, don't fly via Toronto, especially this time of year. If you can't get direct flight to Halifax from London, going via Montreal or New York are better options.

Yeah? why is that?

val50 Jan 13th 2008 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush (Post 5781860)
Yeah? why is that?

mainly the weather but also connections - I ended up sleeping on the floor at Toronto airport last year:rofl: Plane arrived in storm so they wouldn't let us get off until it had passed. All flights were then cancelled so we missed our connection to Halifax. It took us 2 days on standby before we could get on another one. Air Canada said it was nothing to do with them - storms are considered "Act of God" so got no help with accommodation, meals etc.
If time is limited and you can't afford delays, would really avoid Toronto this time of year.

destinationnovascotia Jan 13th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush (Post 5781355)
Thanks I may see how much flights to Heathrow are seperately

You may have better luck with direct Heathrow/Halifax flights if you can travel Friday to Friday (£370 return). If you can do Thurs-Thurs its a little cheaper and in either case you can save £10 if you do not need to pre-brook your seats.

You can book with Air Canada/BMI/OPODO to compare prices, you will still be on the same plane.

You will still have the problem of getting to Heathrow though.

Good luck, Lynn

Ontheboatout Jan 13th 2008 10:29 pm

Never had a problem with Toronto.

Glasgow to Toronto £203 return with Air Transat. West Jet £145 return from Toronto to Halifax.

Total return from Glasgow £348 including taxes and surcharges.

RodRos&Co. Jan 13th 2008 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 5782276)
You may have better luck with direct Heathrow/Halifax flights if you can travel Friday to Friday (£370 return). If you can do Thurs-Thurs its a little cheaper and in either case you can save £10 if you do not need to pre-brook your seats.

You can book with Air Canada/BMI/OPODO to compare prices, you will still be on the same plane.

You will still have the problem of getting to Heathrow though.

Good luck, Lynn

Just looked at BMI :) we can get flights on Thurs 24th Jan (coming back in July) ;)for £681 for 2.
Now this will be economy, and as we will have the majority of our wordly goods in two suitcases each we were wondering should we upgrade or pay the excess baggage?
I can't find a way of upgrading on the website so what does anybody recommend? My thoughts are, when we are ready to book, (I won't book until Friday after the completion of our house sale), find a flight online then phone BMI to upgrade.
Has anybody else done this? or do I just book with Air Canada at approx £700 each but with 50kg baggage allowance each?

Any thoughts?

Rosie

Ontheboatout Jan 14th 2008 12:01 am

Air Canada has a sale on:

It's £376 per person including taxes out 22nd Jan back 24th July