Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cheap Car, Cheap Insurance?

Wikiposts

Cheap Car, Cheap Insurance?

Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:41 am
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap Car, Cheap Insurance?

My experience was that brokers seemed to fall into two categories, those who seemed honest and knew what they were talking about (when it came to converting foreign driving history) or those who either had no idea or were not completely honest.

Generally, that second category of brokers told me that they "would not accept my British driving record". For all the others, I was told "the best we can do is convert it into a 3 stars" (I had 9 years NCD).

I only needed to provide them with number of years I'd held my British license, proof I'd gained my NS license and proof of NCD.

I don't know about other provinces but, here in NS the best rating is 6 stars. Obviously you earn a star for each claim-free year. I'd guess that each star gives somewhere between $100-$200 discount off the full policy cost.

Originally Posted by Hobbess
Insurance history is definately one of the big factors, but I'm in the every little helps camp and the more you can give your insurance broker the better they will be able to negotiate the price for you. Saving that $50 might not feel like much when your insurance is sky high anyway but it's still a few beers
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:05 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jonclark
Hi Everyone,

Can anybody suggest a good family car?

I will be landing on Vancouver Island next March and I will need a family size car, but I am not sure about which car, and also I don't want to get caught out insurance-wise as I have heard it is quite expensive.

Any help much appreciated!

For basic coverage in BC (from ICBC), what you drive, doesn't affect the premium charged.

For optional insurance, it does. At one time the lower mainland was the car theft capital of the English speaking world (or something) and ICBC has tracked the 'the most wanted' list for years. Here's last years list: http://www.icbc.com/crime-fraud/pdf/PI213M.pdf If you purchase a make and model that is a popular target for theft, expect to pay more. How much exactly, I don't know and I seriously doubt it's as significant as your claims history, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:12 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dodge Caravan top of the list!!!...are you all smoking dope out there or someth....

...never mind