British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/chat-canadian-family-practitioners-ex-uk-general-practitioners-781626/)

snoopdawg Mar 19th 2015 2:25 am

re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

That's a different issue, we are talking transferring to a QROPS scheme

shellygb Mar 19th 2015 4:48 am

I have been in contact with a pension lady at Scotia bank. She seems to think that the transfer is possible before the deadline...Snoopdawg am I being naive?
Tirytory- I hear you... I arrived on 17th March 2014 -with 2 kids I feel like we have been navigating our way through various obstacles and trying not to get overwhelmed by doing too much at once. I am starting the incorporation process now and thinking about entering for the exams. This first year has been quite stressful. The kids have embraced the change and continue to remind us that we did the right thing to move.
Feels like the NHS is punishing us now...

snoopdawg Mar 19th 2015 6:10 am

Have you got the transfer value forms from the NHS?
If not I can't see how you will make it. Scotia Macleod did their bit very quickly and couriered over but getting the transfer values took a few weeks, but that was almost a year ago, maybe quicker now,although if everyone's panicking.....

Tirytory Mar 19th 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by shellygb (Post 11596247)
I have been in contact with a pension lady at Scotia bank. She seems to think that the transfer is possible before the deadline...Snoopdawg am I being naive?
Tirytory- I hear you... I arrived on 17th March 2014 -with 2 kids I feel like we have been navigating our way through various obstacles and trying not to get overwhelmed by doing too much at once. I am starting the incorporation process now and thinking about entering for the exams. This first year has been quite stressful. The kids have embraced the change and continue to remind us that we did the right thing to move.
Feels like the NHS is punishing us now...

Ah we arrived in January 14... Whereabouts are you? How has your first year been?

Dr Orakzai Mar 20th 2015 6:43 pm

Hi Guys
Very informative forum. liked the details from snoopdawg, hasan & Dr matt. what i have learnt in few hours have given me an idea about what i need to do in an year time to move to calgary/edmonton. I already have an agent from Global medics who is on the ball about things for a while.
I am a recent qualified GPVTS graduate from Glasgow, Scotland( for people who dont know about Scotland its the small country across the border to England). Plan to sit the MCCEE late this year. My question to the above threads are to people who are already there as to guide us apart from the incentive of moving to canada. what is the life style like, the initial problem everyone faced when they landed, housing, mortgages, buying vehicles, bring family over and other small nigs & nags that Gp needs to know before they consider moving over the pond. :ohmy:

Dr Orakzai Mar 20th 2015 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11596479)
Ah we arrived in January 14... Whereabouts are you? How has your first year been?

Hi, can i enquire to submit your Pr did u need a employment letter from an employer & were to told to be screen for LIMA( occupation shortage list). I would like to apply for Pr ship when i go there rather than be employed on somebody work permit or an equivalent. thanks

Tirytory Mar 20th 2015 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11597988)
Hi, can i enquire to submit your Pr did u need a employment letter from an employer & were to told to be screen for LIMA( occupation shortage list). I would like to apply for Pr ship when i go there rather than be employed on somebody work permit or an equivalent. thanks

We are over on a temp work permit....we have literally just applied for PR via EE. My husband obtained a job and the employer obtained the LMO back in early 2013. You would currently need this to get an Invitation to Apply for PR...

Hasan78 Mar 21st 2015 12:13 am

ok...thanks. i think i got the 2 mixed up...:-)
when is the deadline for pension transfer?
can someone outline how you did the transfer too plz?
thanks in advance.

Hasan78 Mar 21st 2015 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11597986)
Hi Guys
Very informative forum. liked the details from snoopdawg, hasan & Dr matt. what i have learnt in few hours have given me an idea about what i need to do in an year time to move to calgary/edmonton. I already have an agent from Global medics who is on the ball about things for a while.
I am a recent qualified GPVTS graduate from Glasgow, Scotland( for people who dont know about Scotland its the small country across the border to England). Plan to sit the MCCEE late this year. My question to the above threads are to people who are already there as to guide us apart from the incentive of moving to canada. what is the life style like, the initial problem everyone faced when they landed, housing, mortgages, buying vehicles, bring family over and other small nigs & nags that Gp needs to know before they consider moving over the pond. :ohmy:

I just moved to Toronto so can comment much about mortgage etc...
but so far...the banking is the most irritating and restrictive as newcomer and TWP. buying car was easy as well as exchanging my uk license....
for your car insurance, if you don't have claim in uk, make sure you get letter to say so..
oh! depending on what kind of surgery you find, you may be doing vaccination/depo injection/travel vaccination/ear syringing and few stuff which are mostly done by nurses in uk.

Hasan78 Mar 21st 2015 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11597988)

.................................................. .................
Quickest way of getting to Canada is TWP. but soon after your arrival you can apply for PR or at least I have done - awaiting to get ITA by April hopefully.

for PR, yes u you need reference letter from all your previous employer for the past 10 years...the letter to have specific details....so yes! i advise to get them just prior to leaving UK 2-3months so you have all your letters. it is easier to chase them while in uk rather from Canada.
You will need english test too which is valid for 2yrs so do it prior to leaving uk.
Unfortunately with new EE system you can't apply without a job as 600 points given to job and without it i doubt you will get enough points to qualify...whereas under old system you would have...:)
oh! good luck...

Dr Orakzai Mar 21st 2015 1:07 pm

Hi Hasan
Thanks for the info. but according to my knowledge the system has changed from Jan 2015 where u can apply for Pr ship online rather than TWP going to embassy as u guys have done & then if they approve ur application u will be invited to apply for Pr ship & u land in canada with Pr ship rather than TWP & as long as ur job is in the NOC (shortage occupation list) which i presume Gp are.

below is the link,
Fill out your profile – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

having a job offer & provicial nomination will get u top of the list i see here & u will land with Pr ship. I presume u can change ur employer/proviven if u dont like as u are not on work permit or dependant on their visa.
Note: would like to know where u are from, I am from pakistan!.

christmasoompa Mar 21st 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Orakzai (Post 11598582)
Hi Hasan
Thanks for the info. but according to my knowledge the system has changed from Jan 2015 where u can apply for Pr ship

What's 'PR ship'?

as long as ur job is in the NOC (shortage occupation list) which i presume Gp are.

The NOC isn't a shortage occupation list, it's all occupations. It simply gives CIC a code to tell what your job comes under.

having a job offer & provicial nomination will get u top of the list i see here & u will land with Pr ship.

Having a job offer isn't enough, you must have a LMIA or PNP nomination, hence why Hasan suggested a TWP first as then you can use that to apply for PR and it would get you over there soon if your employer isn't prepared to wait 6 months for you to start work.

HTH a bit. For future posts, could you please try not to use too much 'text speak'? It makes your posts very hard to read as English isn't your first language. Thanks, and good luck.

shellygb Mar 21st 2015 5:39 pm

Wow , this forum has livened up again in my absence� ����
Big thank you to everyone who comes on here-it is always super helpful- especially the contributions from the 'old timers'.
Tirytory,
I live in East Van with husband and 2 kids; I commute to Coquitlam to work. Very easy after living and working in various parts of London.
Our year has been bittersweet, my Dad died within 6 weeks of our arrival which disrupted the settling in period. We had a glorious summer and met some lovely families that have become friends.

Work-wise, I'm getting there. It is tough getting your head around being your own boss-the NHS though a nightmare at present protects Drs in someways. For example budgeting is hard when you don't know how much you'll be paid from one fortnight to the next; start-up costs and professional expenses were a shock. Day to day things like different drugs; not having a practice nurse and MSP billing were obstacles!

But as I said before- my children remind me every day that we made the right decision to move here. They are thriving;they are embracing everything and through them we have a very warm welcoming community.

I feel reassured by Snoopdawg saying that after 2 years it all settled down. How about you? Where are you based? You've had a baby-congratulations

Hasan78 Mar 21st 2015 5:50 pm

Dr Orakzai!
I never went to any Embassy to get TWP. I actually got it at POE in Pearson Int. Thanks to the contributors and founder of this website which i found out about it:-)...

As a GP the employer want you to start asap. but hey it is possible if you can find a willing employer to wait. with new System - EE you can get your PR by 6 month. I just got my invitation to apply while in Canada only 2 months:)...

Shellygb! sorry to hear about your dad...RIP his soul.

Tirytory! Congs on your newborn.:-)

shellygb Mar 21st 2015 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Hasan78 (Post 11598260)
ok...thanks. i think i got the 2 mixed up...:-)
when is the deadline for pension transfer?
can someone outline how you did the transfer too plz?
thanks in advance.

Thanks Hassan78.

I am meeting a financial adviser at Scotia bank on Monday and she will outline what is needed for the transfer. The closing date is 1st April I think.
They need any pension details you have, passport and TWP; SIN;2 pieces of ID

My husband spoke to NHS pensions-they said that we had to fill in an application to transfer overseas.post it back>NHS pension post another form by snail mail> then they do a calculation which takes 12 weeks. I think it is unlikely I will complete the process but I can't just do nothing;)

I can post some more info after my meeting on Monday.