Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 23rd 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In Mandy1106's defence (although thank you lovely lot for jumping to my defence!), I don't think she's a Brit, and will be from a country where 'dear' isn't considered rude/patronising so I'm sure had no intention to be so.
I think the same. it is usually out of friendliness/trying to be kind such word like dear is used in some cultures and don't think she meant to be patronizing at all.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Well, I grew up in Lancashire in the 1950s and early 1960s when people still used "dear" ........... shop assistants, neighbours, policemen, bus conductors, etc etc.

It was never used by a younger person to an older person, nor to someone who knew more than you did, unless you intended to be disparaging, in which case the tone of voice indicated it.

I certainly took it as patronising or disparaging, which is why I posted above.

I'm not sure whether "dear" is still used in the North of England!

But this might also be a case of speech vs posting on the internet, when it is all too easy to be misunderstood, and hence wisest to avoid using certain terms and phrases.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Shabeena is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It may suffice, unless Shabeena wants to claim FSW points for more than 3 years (up to the max of 6 years for 15 points), if so she'll need more than 3 years. It will really depend on her FSW and CRS scores and what she's claiming for her app.
Many thanks for the clarification. Does help my case as luckily, my last 7 years was as GP partner in one practice and it is easy to get reference letter.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
With all due respect, firstly christmasoompa is well versed in immigration matters and is one of our most valued and knowledgeable members, having worked in the immigration industry for many years. I would suggest you take heed as she is quite correct.

Unfortunately it seems that you are confusing the initial come to Canada tool with the CRS tool to ascertain points for Express Entry. Two totally different things.

CRS is where you will need in the region of 440+ points in order to obtain an ITA under Express Entry as a Federal Skilled Worker - what YOU are talking about is the initial Come to Canada wizard on the Govt. website - where you need a minimum of 67 points in order to initially qualify to apply for any of the Federal Skilled Worker routes - and where work experience years are as christmasoompa has indicated.

Perhaps it would help you to read up on Immigration and Express Entry..

To ascertain if you have enough points to qualify to apply:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

To ascertain if you are likely to have sufficient points to get you an ITA:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A guide to Express Entry:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...try/works.html

If you have any questions about immigration matters, do feel free to post a thread in our Immigration forum where christmasoompa and other experts - together with members who have already been through the process - will be happy to offer you guidance.

Again, with respect, it's better NOT to offer advice on immigration matters unless you are absolutely sure you are correct. Additionally, whenever possible it's advisable to give a link to the official website, together with your suggestion - and if you are not 100% sure, perhaps put 'I believe' or 'I think'

Many thanks again for pointing out the differences in each type of application.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

medicm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

it seems that my application is going through, CPSO has accepted everything.
currently have lots of mixed feelings, excitement with worrisome
I would be really grateful if you have any advice on things I should be preparing for, looking out for before leaving UK, and starting in Canada ?
one other issue is a very simple question, would I be expected to work with my UK knowledge and guidelines ? or is there any induction pack or any resource to look at the differences of guidance ?
for instances, simple things like 1st lines abx ? inhalers ? when to refer ? etc

thanks all
Old Nov 18th 2018, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Can I please clarify regarding Nominee Programme. Looks like it can fetch you plenty of points under CRS. I looked at Ontario International Nominee Programme(OINP) and wondered whether employers nominate you or support you for obtaining this. Will be grateful for further information.
Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2018, 2:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shabeena
Can I please clarify regarding Nominee Programme. Looks like it can fetch you plenty of points under CRS. I looked at Ontario International Nominee Programme(OINP) and wondered whether employers nominate you or support you for obtaining this. Will be grateful for further information.
Thanks

Please start a new thread in our Immigration Forum for Immigration related questions.. this thread is for general information pertaining to working as a Doctor in Canada, Immigration questions are better kept to the Immi forum where you'll get lots of help..

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2019, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,
Can someone kindly point out the pros and cons of moving to Canada via work permit rather than PR. PR process seems daunting and worried will not meet the points required.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shabeena
Hi everyone,
Can someone kindly point out the pros and cons of moving to Canada via work permit rather than PR. PR process seems daunting and worried will not meet the points required.
As above, please ask in a new thread in the immi section of the forum. All visa related queries should be placed there, rather than on the end of an unrelated thread.

Thx.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

prospectivemed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while, as my partner and I are very interested in moving over from the UK. We are both graduates, and my partner has good basis for applying for PR as a federal skilled worker. As I have been planning to study medicine as a mature student, I would like to hear any thoughts on going to medical school in Canada once a PR, vs in the UK.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2019, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably much more expensive here!
Old Mar 12th 2019, 8:20 am
Just Joined

titusbramble is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've had a really good read and this is a very helpful thread, so thank you to all the contributors.

I have quite a specific issue and would be grateful for the thoughts of anyone who has gone through the system.

I am a qualified GP. My wife is an anaesthetic trainee, and is keen on a 1 year fellowship in Canada, for which there appears to be significantly less hoop-jumping required, possibly as it is an in hospital supervised post.

I was looking at options for myself to work. I would not be able/wanting to set up independent practice due to timescale, which clearly limits my options. The options for my wife's fellowship are major cities eg Vancouver/Calgary.

I understand I would need a supervisor if I were working as a GP, and I would need to pass the MCQEE (although this is not entirely clear on the Alberta website due to the changes), as well as the TDM. I would also need to pay significant fees for documents/process etc (+ visa requirements).

I am wondering whether it is practical to practice as a GP for such a short time - is the learning curve of Canadian terminology/practice long enough to make this a bad idea? Is anyone aware of any posts that would be better suited than me going the route that has been described in this thread? I had come across some 8-9 month locum post mentioned but am having difficulty tracking things down. I will probably send an email to AHS.

I suppose another option would be for me to take a year trying to develop some different skills within a directly supervised environment, eg spend time in emergency medicine/some orthopaedics. I have not found anything obviously available but there does seem to be more integration between GP and hospital work. Again, is anyone aware of anything along these lines?

General principles are that earning potential is not really a major consideration as long as there's enough to live on/pay mortgage back home.

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Dayo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone,
My husband (non medical) are trying to navigate this process as we have family in Canada and would like to move soon.
im currently at the start of ST3 and due to finish in April next year but have a few questions.

A bit of background, I’m in the process of source verification so I can do the MCCQE1 exam as soon as possible and are looking at Nova Scotia mainly because of a few incentives and proximity to the UK

Does anyone have any words of advice or experience as a family physician in this province as we have 2 young kids.

Also to speed up the process and make it as efficient as possible, following MCCQE1 what would you recommend. I’ve been told that the second part can be completed in Canada?

Has anyone on this forum successfully moved straight after CCT?

Apologies for the numerous questions but there’s a lot of Info out there and it all gets confusing.

thanks in advance
Old Apr 16th 2019, 10:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat048 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Thank you to everyone for the immensely helpful information in this thread. My partner and I are moving to Toronto this summer (2019) - I am a permanent resident and she is a Canadian citizen. She is also a UK-GP trainee, currently coming to the end of her ST3 year.

I am trying to still get my head around the details of the application for licensure, and wanted to check if my understanding is correct.... I think she needs to do the following:
  • Finish ST3 in the UK and obtain MRCGP and CCT
  • Get MRGP/CCT/Medical School Degree source verified through physicians apply
  • Apply to the CFCP for membership
    • followed by "Application process for recognition of training and certification from approved jurisdictions"
  • Identify an appropriate supervisor within Ontario.
  • Apply to the CPSO (Ontario licensing authority) for a restricted license.
  • Practice under supervision while studying for and sitting the MCQE1 and 2.
My questions are:
  1. I missing anything from the above process?
  2. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC).
  3. Is there a minimum length of the supervisory period - or can she apply for an independant license as soon as she has passed MCCQE1 & 2

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their advice on here over the last few years - It has been incredibly useful! And thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me with my questions!
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

dfytr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rob.j
  1. Can anybody provide any advice for finding a supervisor in the GTA region. (Most advice previously appears to be regarding BC)
healthforceontario.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.