British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/chat-canadian-family-practitioners-ex-uk-general-practitioners-781626/)

beatrix2355 Jun 27th 2018 9:04 pm

Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi
First time posting here, I have a question regarding PRA programme.
On BC website it is stated: ''d. Evidence of having completed a minimum of 2 years in discipline-specific independent practice as a general or family practitioner in that or another international jurisdiction.''
Does it mean I must have 2 years experience as a GP to apply there, meaning now newly qualified is allowed there? Most PRA provinces state exactly the same point.

Oxygen Aug 9th 2018 10:31 pm

Hi all, great job đź‘Ť

I am new to this forum and have tried to read as many posts as I could, got a few clarifications but then got confused again. I was wondering if someone could shed light on the following questions ( I’m sorry as some of them are quite basic ). I am about to start my Gp training in UK and in future plan to move to Canada. I have the following questions.

1. I understand MCCEE is being phased out from next year and one can take MCCQE directly- is that true?

2. Can I take those exams during my VTS or can I only take them after I have finished my training. ( I was hoping to take To take them during the first year of my training ,unless there is a certain eligibility criteria.

3. If I take the exams here in UK before moving to Canada, can I apply for jobs as an independant GP or would I still need a mentor (does that effect the pay)?

5. If I move to a particulr province and work there, how long do I have to work there before I can move to another province. In a previous post Hasan said moving province is like moving a country due to rules. (Can I ever move province or would I need further assessment)

6. Realistically how much does an average GP make in Canada. I keep hearing these fictitious figures but I want facts to avoid disappointments. And is that enough for a family of 4.

7. Finally, does applying for PR while still in UK has any befit over temporary work visa in term of job opportunity. And even if I have PR, will I still have to work in the province I initially applies to or can I move.

Really sorry if there are repetitions, if so just guide me to the post number and I’ll read through.

Thanks.

Hasan78 Aug 9th 2018 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Oxygen (Post 12545982)

Hi all, great job đź‘Ť

I am new to this forum and have tried to read as many posts as I could, got a few clarifications but then got confused again. I was wondering if someone could shed light on the following questions ( I’m sorry as some of them are quite basic ). I am about to start my Gp training in UK and in future plan to move to Canada. I have the following questions.

1. I understand MCCEE is being phased out from next year and one can take MCCQE directly- is that true?

2. Can I take those exams during my VTS or can I only take them after I have finished my training. ( I was hoping to take To take them during the first year of my training ,unless there is a certain eligibility criteria.

3. If I take the exams here in UK before moving to Canada, can I apply for jobs as an independant GP or would I still need a mentor (does that effect the pay)?

5. If I move to a particulr province and work there, how long do I have to work there before I can move to another province. In a previous post Hasan said moving province is like moving a country due to rules. (Can I ever move province or would I need further assessment)

6. Realistically how much does an average GP make in Canada. I keep hearing these fictitious figures but I want facts to avoid disappointments. And is that enough for a family of 4.

7. Finally, does applying for PR while still in UK has any befit over temporary work visa in term of job opportunity. And even if I have PR, will I still have to work in the province I initially applies to or can I move.

Really sorry if there are repetitions, if so just guide me to the post number and I’ll read through.

Thanks.

Hi Oxygen

welcome to the forum

1. Yes! I believe they are changing it. read on MCC.ca website.
2. I believe you can do QE 1 but QE 2 after your CCT. read MCC.CA for egilibity criteria.
3. if you do QE 1 and QE 2 then you can apply for independent license. so you should be ok working independently but some province like Ontario may ask to name another GP in the practice as being your mentor i.e. answer your questions when the need arise. it is not like somebody supervise you with restricted license.

5. once you have independent license then you can easily move to different province but you have to register in that province again. i.e may have to go through the same registration process although it may be easier as already registered in another province.

6. income? depends on how many patient you see in a day? how many days you work? the system different to UK. only one module of pay is similar to uk - with capitation but that is limited and most is fee for service so it is important when finding job to find job where you are sure you see decent amount of patient in a day so you have enough income.

7. No! not apply yet but apply for PR when ready to relocate so about 6 month to 10 month prior to relocation. having PR will make your life a lot easier as well as finding job will be a lot easier for you.....you can easily relocate within Canada with PR and also not restricted to one employer as it is the case with TWP. with LMIA you are restricted to one employer...God forbade and you are unhappy with your work environment then you stuck/burn in that place till you get your PR.....

good luck.

Hassan

Oxygen Aug 10th 2018 7:54 am

Thank you Hassn for the prompt reply .

dfytr Sep 4th 2018 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hasan78 (Post 12546011)
2. I believe you can do QE 1 but QE 2 after your CCT. read MCC.CA for egilibity criteria.

they ask for 12 months postgrad (cannot post a link due to forum rules so that is copy paste)

To be eligible for the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II:
  1. you must have passed the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I.
  2. your final medical degree diploma must be successfully source verified.*
  3. you must have completed a minimum of 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training (PGT)
im planning to take mine as ST3

btw MCC will have QE1 in Prometrics worldwide 4 times per year in 2019

does anybody know if CanadaQbank and Toronto Notes will be enough for QE1 preparation?

Oxygen Sep 4th 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dfytr (Post 12558596)
they ask for 12 months postgrad (cannot post a link due to forum rules so that is copy paste)

To be eligible for the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II:
  1. you must have passed the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I.
  3. you must have completed a minimum of 12 months of postgraduate clinical medical training (PGT)

does anybody know if CanadaQbank and Toronto Notes will be enough for QE1 preparation?

Hi dfytr. Thanks for the reply. So you are currently in the GPVTS programme I understand, which ST year are you currently? I am planning to take QE1 in my ST1 year. Also which province are you aiming for ? I have been thinking of Ontario and Alberta but despite of going through their website and emailing them I haven’t really found out if there is a specific speciality in which they wound want experience in order to get registered. I know BC have detailed this on their website. Would you know that??

dfytr Sep 4th 2018 8:14 pm

Im mid-ST1 and aiming for next July to sit QE1 since it will be allowed in UK isntead of flying to Canada

I will be moving back to Ontario.

Emailing those agencies will lead you nowhere. They have clear instructions and charge money for applications review. CPSO does not have specific requirements for rotations according to their website. You will need to get your docs verified on physiciansapply.ca (CCT, diploma, MRCGP) and CFPA certificate in order to get a provisional license.

You can also check healthontario.ca they provide free advisor

dfytr Sep 5th 2018 1:22 am

Sorry, I meant healthforceontario.ca

skybluepink Sep 5th 2018 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by banana_1234 (Post 12476836)
Hi everyone!

For those of you that have made the move from the UK to Canada (esp Vancouver BC area) - what is life really like working as a GP? What are the best bits and the worst bits compared to the UK?

I'm in the early stages of applying via Health Match BC and am starting to question whether all the extra effort involved in doing extra clinical attachments etc is all worth it. However, life as a GP in the UK is looking quite bleak... :s

hi sorry this reply is quite a bit after you posted your question : my husband and I are both GP’s and moved to the Vancouver vicinity nearly 3 yrs ago via lots of help from Healthmatch BC. We moved with our 2 children.
We are all very happy with the move and find our work /life /home balance has improved vastly . We have so much more autonomy in regards to our work day and job satisfaction is high. I know it is a lot of hassle jumping through all the hoops and we questioned whether it was worth it along the way. In my opinion it is worth it. The earning potential is good. In terms of downsides: cost of housing and doing the exams . If you can come to terms with that & if you come with the attitude of getting stuck in at work and socially , you will likely be very happy with your decision. Have you been over and visited ? I would be happy to give you more details and show you round if you came over. You can DM me.

Hasan78 Sep 5th 2018 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by dfytr (Post 12558596)

sorry! it has been a while since I relocated so forgot 12 month PGT is required.

Yes! Canada Qbank is enough. it has mistakes in the questions but you will pick it up. as you are in training and probably done AKT recently it will be super easy for you. just do QBank questions and read explanation. some basic science like acid base balance is good to read on. the exam is like final year but 4 hr and 3 hr questions.....

Hasan78 Sep 5th 2018 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by dfytr (Post 12558623)
Im mid-ST1 and aiming for next July to sit QE1 since it will be allowed in UK isntead of flying to Canada

I will be moving back to Ontario.

Emailing those agencies will lead you nowhere. They have clear instructions and charge money for applications review. CPSO does not have specific requirements for rotations according to their website. You will need to get your docs verified on physiciansapply.ca (CCT, diploma, MRCGP) and CFPA certificate in order to get a provisional license.

You can also check healthontario.ca they provide free advisor

don't bother with any agency.....as dfytr said try health force Ontario and they help. if you want some email pm me so I can give you and directly email them.
for Ontario I don't think they have any specific requirement if I remember correctly when applied 3 yrs ago. but you can email CPSO directly and ask them to email me what is the requirement for IMG to be licensed and ask for their application package - that email provide all you need to know. good luck...
any question when close to coming then just post here or pm.

Shabeena Sep 17th 2018 8:34 am

I am new in this forum but I feel I already know most of you from reading through the posts!
I graduated from India(MBBS) in 2001 and GMC registered from 2002. I did GPVTS and CCT and MRCGP dated 2007. Been locuming initially till 2010 and GP partner from Aug 2010 till June 2017. I have been locuming again now for a year. I am also a GPSI( GP with Special Interest) in Dermatology ( Diploma in Practical Dermatology from Cardiff University-2008) and coil fitter and implant fitter.
Loved Toronto and a friend who is a FP in Toronto has offered to give me a job.
I am at a very early stage with physicians apply- getting med degree, transcript and internship rotation SVC being done.
1) Can I submit just CCT and MRCGP certificate for Speciality and membership certificates? I have no paperwork outlining my postgraduate rotations but doesn’t my CCT verification cover that? Do I also submit my
DPD, DRCOG and DFSRH etc? Don’t want to spend money if no benefit.
2) I have booked for IELTS in Nov and then hoping to start the PR process. I read about getting letters from all your employments, is it for express entry? I did not see any such specifications when skimming past the information.
3) I am sure everyone has asked this. Is it really worth the huge process involved? Income wise, lifestyle wise, family wise etc(have a 9 yr old and a 16 yr old).
Sometimes I get cold feet but other times feel it is a challenge in life that can be a new beginning and good for me and family.
Many thanks for all the guidance.

christmasoompa Sep 17th 2018 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Shabeena (Post 12563951)
2) I have booked for IELTS in Nov and then hoping to start the PR process. I read about getting letters from all your employments, is it for express entry? I did not see any such specifications when skimming past the information.

Yes, you need references from past employers for a PR app (along with lots of other supporting documents), but you don't need them to enter the Express Entry pool, they're only required if you actually get an invitation to apply for PR.

HTH, good luck.

skybluepink Sep 17th 2018 2:35 pm

Shabeena: welcome to the forum. You will need a document to prove which rotations you did because the. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Toronto ( equivalent to GMC) will require you to have done certain rotations in order for you to obtain a licence . In BC there is an organisation called Health Match BC which guides you through the stages and was instrumental in me getting through the long process of licensure .The GMC should have it on file which rotations you did for MRCGP and if you ask them , they should be able to provide you with a document outlining what you did with dates .
if you’re missing a rotation you will need to go back and do it in an approved job at an approved hospital . At least that’s what has to happen for a license in BC. I had to go do 8weeks in General Suregry because my general surgery experience from internship in India didn’t count .
For SVR I don’t think you need to get your other diplomas verified. I did mine and it wasn’t necessary. You really only need MBBs and MRCGP.
In terms of whether it’s worth it , for my family it was , because we have all my husbands family out here and my children wanted to move . The hoops don’t end with licensing, there are exams to pass once you get here too. They have to be done while working and settling your family.
HTH

Mandy1106 Sep 17th 2018 3:19 pm

Please between Ontario and BC,which is better to practise in as it seems these are two major provinces most GP from UK are practising?Thanks